I’m Sorry We Can’t Do Anything... What YOU Can Do To Improve Your Health
Last updated 2016 06 16
I wish to thank Svala Firus, Monica Firus, Cerilla Högberg, Lindy Lindh and Dr. Hugrun Thorsteinsdotter, for their tremendous help in creating this book. Most of all I would like to thank Erich and Edith Hofmann, for without their support, patience, care, wisdom and love, both my own good health and this book would have never been possible.
This book is dedicated to a certain mother who had received the words in the first part of the title of this book as an answer from her doctor, when she asked him what he could do to help her daughter who was dying from cancer.
This book is also dedicated to her daughter, to my wonderful daughter Svala and to all children.
You CAN do something.
This book is also dedicated to Björn Gillberg and to Dr. Olle Johansson,
who were not afraid to stand up and speak the truth.
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” - /Rev.Martin Luther King, Jr./
If anyone wishes any references or sources for any of the facts that are stated in this book, please send an e-mail to me at: email@example.com
- If any reader has any criticism of my work, I would ask that person to please contact me to give me a chance to respond to the criticism before simply putting it on the net.
- It is both academically dishonest as well as extremely lazy to criticize an individual’s work on any subject without giving them the chance to respond to that criticism.
- All comments, both positive and negative (but especially the positive ones!) are welcome.
“It is not more knowledge that it is needed at present, so much as the more universal application of the knowledge already attained.” - /Dr William H Welch. M.D John Hopkins Medical College/
At the very time in our history when we are being exposed to the highest levels of environmental poisons such as mercury, dioxin, PCB´s (Polychlorinated Biphenyls) and heavy metals such as cadmium and lead, deadly pesticides and dangerous food additives in our food, as well as dangerous chemicals in our water, home and work place, we are at the same time weakening our immune system by eating a diet of not only nutritionally poor but also unhealthy food.
We are in effect burning the candle at both ends.
Modern-day medicine has done wonders with acute and traumatic disorders, but has been next to helpless in halting the increasing rates of diseases such as ADD, ADHD, Alzheimer’s disease, certain kinds of cancer, diabetes, fibromyalgia, heart disease, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson`s disease, rheumatoid arthritis, SLE (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus), strokes, as well as allergies and various mental disorders such as schizophrenia etc.
The often given excuse for the dramatic and terrifying increase of the above is that: “It is simply because people are living longer now.”
This is totally false, because of the fact that the majority of these health disorders are rapidly increasing in ever younger age groups.
According to the National Cancer Institute in the United States- genetics are only responsible for 5-10% of all cancers!
In a detailed study done by the University of Manchester in 2010 that examined over 900 mummies from Egypt and South America only 1 case of cancer was found. This was not because that these people had died young. Many of the mummies had atherosclerosis and osteoporosis which only occurs late in life.
Yet in industrialized societies cancer is the second leading cause of death after cardiovascular disease.
In the EU it is estimated that 1 in every 3 men and women under the age of 75 will develop cancer. In the United States the rates are 1 in every 2 men and 1 in every 3 women.
There exists a huge grey area, or twilight zone, in modern medicine which states: “You are not sick until you have a disease.”
Yet “healthy” people everywhere are “suddenly” getting cancer and are “suddenly” dropping dead from heart attacks. But these people were sick long before their cancers were diagnosed or before their hearts stopped. People themselves must take it upon themselves to prevent disease and to maintain their health.
- Prevention is the best cure!
One Health Recipe
There exists literally thousands of “recipes” for achieving and maintaining good health.
Here is another one: (Not in order of importance.)
- Increase the amount of healthy food eaten.
- Decrease the amount of unhealthy food eaten.
- A healthy mental attitude.
- Healthy (and easy) exercise.
- A healthy and safe home and work environment.
1. Increase The Amount Of Healthy Food Eaten
Food Allergies and Food Intolerances
I firmly believe that there is no one “Perfect” diet which is perfect for all people. This is largely due to food allergies and food intolerances, which have been estimated to affect over 60% of the population. (1.)
(1.) The source for this information is: “The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine” by Michael Murray N.D. and Joseph Pizzorno N.D.
Read more about this superb book in the section: “Sources of Information on Healing”.
The difference between food allergies and food intolerances is that food allergies cause a harmful reaction within the body that involves the immune system while food intolerances cause a harmful reaction in the body that does not involve the immune system.
Food allergies and food intolerances often mimic established physical and mental health disorders, especially those of unknown origin.
“Emotional” symptoms caused by food allergies and by food intolerances are very common.
I would estimate that between 80% and 90% of patients with emotional disorders are significantly affected by allergic addictions and that their emotional problems could be partially largely or totally eliminated simply by taking the allergic conditions into consideration.
In my opinion, any psychiatrist or psychologist who does not test for food allergies and food intolerances is neglecting his patients and is fighting emotional illness with one and a half hands tied behind his back.” -
/Dr. H.L Newbold M.D. Professor of Neurology and Psychiatry at North Eastern University, member of the Psychiatric Association, fellow of the Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine, the Royal Society of Health, and the International College of Applied Nutrition/
There exists countless studies showing how people as diverse as children suffering from ADD or ADHD, to schizophrenics, and even inmates in prison having experienced great improvements and even having been cured of their mental and/or physical medical disorders, once tested for food intolerances and food allergies and the offending foods being removed.
(Simply goggle under food allergies, food intolerances, or food sensitivities –which is the collective term that is sometimes used for both of these condition-to access the vast amount of studies that have been done linking these conditions to mental and/or physical medical disorders.)
Many sick people are simply suffering from extreme reactions to multiple food allergies and intolerances.
Food allergies and food intolerances can cause an extremely wide range of emotional side effects, including: (2. Ibid)
- Aggressive behavior
- Excessive mood swings
- Inappropriate fears
- Inability to concentrate
- Mental confusion
- Mental exhaustion
- Panic attacks
- Personality change
- and even experiencing a feeling of loss of emotional control and/or a loss of feeling of being able to cope etc.
Common physical symptoms of food allergies and food intolerances include: (3. Ibid)
- Arrhythmia-irregular heart beat
- Bed- wetting
- Bladder infections
- Bloatedness –often with gas
- Canker sores
- Celiac disease
- Candida infections (Chronic Candidiasis)
- Chronic bladder infections
- Chronic bronchitis
- Chronic diarrhea
- Chronic fatigue system
- Chronic infections
- Chronic (noncyclic) fluid retention
- Chronic sinus infections
- Chronic swollen glands
- Crohn`s disease
- Dark circles around the eyes
- Duodenal ulcers
- Frequent ear infections
- Heart palpitations
- IBS-Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Itchy nose
- Itchy throat
- Joint pain
- Kidney disease
- Low back pain
- Low immune response
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Nasal problems-blocked nose, running nose
- Physical exhaustation
- Puffiness under the eyes
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Skin rash
- Sore throat
- Ulcerative colitis
After reading these two lists it is easy to understand why food allergies and food intolerances are called the “Hidden Disorder” and are very often misdiagnosed as other medical mental and/or physical disorders.
I strongly recommend both blood and skin testing for food allergies and food intolerances for anyone suffering from any of the medical disorders found on these two lists and especially for anyone suffering from any medical disorder of “unknown origin,” or of any medical disorder that will not heal.
The typical skin prick test is much too imprecise; a blood test such as “ELISA” must also be done.
An excellent article on food allergies and food intolerances can be found on the site: www.whfoods.com, under the title: “Food Sensitivities”
- See also my note about this site in the beginning of the next section.
Nutritional Information about Food
Note: The site www. whfoods.com is an excellent site for information on foods and the nutrients and phytonutrients that they contain and fully describes all of the extremely nutritious foods that I have recommended.
Phytonutrients or phytochemicals are plant compounds that protect and promote human health.
There exists hundreds of phytonutrients with more being discovered all the time.
Among some of the best researched phytonutrients are:
- Allicin and alliin
- Carotenoids such as astaxanthin, beta-carotene, epoxxanthophylls, lutein, lycopene, neoxanthin, violaxanthin, and zeaxanthin.
- Flavonoids (polyphenols) such as anthocyanins, catechins, hesperidin, quercetin, rutin, and silybin
- Organosulfides such as allyl methyl trisulfide, diallyl sulfide, and isothiocyanates including sulphoraphane
- Phenolic acids such as curcumin and ellagic acid
This site also contains excellent information on food allergies and food intolerances which they list under the heading of “Food Sensitivities.”
Note: I do however have a few criticisms with this site regarding their subjective opinions of certain foods although the purely factual objective information on this site is outstanding.
This site includes the following foods in their list of: “The Worlds Healthiest Foods”:
1. Cane juice (This entry has now been taken away.)
2. Figs, and Peanuts (and peanut butter)
3. Soybeans and Tofu
4. Halibut and Tuna
5. Cinnamon Cassia
1. Cane Juice has the same health destroying effects upon the body as white sugar and offers virtually no nutrients. I have asked them about this, but did not receive a response. I believe they might include it because raw sugar (made from cane juice) is contained in many “(un) health foods.” (See the section: “Sugars”)
2. I do not recommend eating figs, peanuts and peanut butter (or at least eating as little as possible of them) and pistachio nuts , because although these foods are nutritious, these 4 foods are all very often found to be being extremely high in aflatoxin. (See the end of the “Fruits” section.) Contrary to what it states in their article on peanuts, that “…better storage and handling methods have virtually eliminated the risk of aflatoxin ingestion”, the risk of aflatoxin ingestion has not been “virtually eliminated” and is still a serious problem worldwide.
3. I do not believe that any unfermented soya products such as soya beans, soya substitute “meat” products, soya milk, and tofu etc. are healthy. I do however believe that tempeh which is made from fermented soya can be healthy -unless you are suffering from hypothyroidism. For more information on this subject please see the excellent articles: “Myths and Truths about Soy” and “Soya Alert” on the site: www.westonprice.org.
- Note: I do not agree with all of the dietary recommendations that this site presents-which can easily be noticed when comparing my dietary recommendations with the dietary recommendations on this site. I do however agree fully with their information and recommendations about healthy fats and their information and recommendations against raps (canola) oil and other oils and against unfermented soya products on this site.
4. Halibut and tuna contain extremely high amounts of mercury and other dangerous contaminants and do not contain any significant amount of nutrients that cannot be obtained from wild Pacific salmon and fresh or frozen sardines (not canned sardines - see below) both of which contain extremely low amounts of mercury and other dangerous contaminants such as dioxin and PCB’s etc. (See the section: “Healthy Fats”)
5. Although I am grateful that the difference between true cinnamon and cassia is pointed out in the article:” What is the difference between Cinnamon and Cassia?” I disagree with the statement in that article that: “When used in ordinary seasoning amounts occasionally in the diet, it is unlikely that you will face added health risks from the cassia cinnamon.”
How do you define the words “ordinary seasonings amounts” and “occasionally?”
Why should you even use cassia when cinnamon - which is safe and healthy - is available?
(See the section: “Healthy Herbs and Spices”)
6. I do not agree with their subjective opinion that raw sprouts are healthy. All sprouts should be steamed for a few minutes before eating. (See the section: “Vegetables”)
7. In the article on “Crimini” (Portobello) mushrooms it should have also been mentioned that it is extremely important to always cook or fry (on low heat with a healthy fat) crimini mushrooms and all mushrooms and not to eat any raw mushrooms. (See the section: “Vegetable Warnings”)
8. In a few recipes they mention a product named “Bragg`s Liquid Amines.” This product contains processed free glutamic acids (PFGA’s) and is not recommended. See E620 in the E- number guide.
(Quick) Diet Summary
Note: A more detailed explanation of the following statements will be found in the individual sections concerning these foods.
1. Try to eat 5 servings of different (organic) vegetables per day, that have been either been steamed or low-temperature woked or low-temperature stir fried –with a healthy organic fat- for a few minutes.
Carrots, sweet potatoes and winter squash should be cooked until soft to make the maximum amount of beta-carotene available for the body to absorb and should always eaten with some healthy organic fat which is necessary for the body to absorb the beta-carotene and transform it into Vitamin A.
Note 1: Spinach and Swiss chard should be boiled for 1 minute and the water discarded because of the high amounts of oxalic acid in these two foods.
Note 2: Do not eat any variety of raw mushrooms.
Note 3: Due to the unfortunate fact that the following vegetables are extremely heavily sprayed with deadly pesticides, they should not be eaten if they are not organically grown, unsprayed with pesticides or found wild:
- Collard greens
2. Try to eat 5 servings of different raw (organic) fruit per day. All fruit juices and carrot juice should be diluted with one-third with water before drinking, due to their very high natural sugar content.
Note 1: Avoid figs
Note 2: Wild blueberries (bilberries) must be thoroughly rinsed off and must be cooked before eaten.
Note 3: Due to the unfortunate fact that the following fruits are extremely heavily sprayed with deadly pesticides, they should not be eaten if they are not organically grown, unsprayed with pesticides or found wild.
- Dark Grapes (and dark grape juice)
- Green, red, and yellow bell peppers (paprika in Swedish) /Bell peppers are actually botanically defined as a fruit/
Note 4: Never eat the peel of any non-organic citrus fruit, nor add it to baked goods etc. or put whole pieces of non-organic citrus fruits with the peel in water etc.
3. Try to eat only (organic) whole-grain breads, cereals, flakes and grains etc.
If allergic to gluten avoid barley, dinkel (spelt), kamut, rye, triticale, wheat and possibly oats.( Some people who are gluten intolerant can eat oats.)
Amaranth, buckwheat, corn (must be whole or stone-ground as with all grains,) millet and quinoa, are all gluten free.
Note: Quinoa must not be given to infants under 2 years of age because it contains saponins.
4. All cooked: (see #1 above)
- bean sprouts
- grain sprouts
- seed sprouts
- and all cooked beans (except for soya beans) are healthy
5. All raw unroasted, unsalted nuts and seeds - with the exception of peanuts, peanut butter and pistachios and all broken nut and seed bits, flakes and pieces etc. – are healthy. Make sure that the nuts are not brown in the middle and the sunflower seeds are not brown, yellow or broken.
6. All organic dairy products are healthy (if you are not allergic or intolerant of them) but if eating any cheese including organic cheese that is packed in plastic make sure that you slice off a few pieces from every side. Do not any cheese that contains E202 Potassium Sorbate, E235 Natamycin, or E 251 Sodium Nitrate - see the E-number guide.
If intolerant or allergic to dairy products, or are simply excluding them from your diet, make sure that your diet provides enough calcium. /Goggle for food sources of calcium/.
- All vegans - both men and women - must take a Vitamin B12 supplement.
- All vegan and vegetarian women (and all non-vegan and all non- vegetarian women during their fertile years as well) must check their blood to see the iron content if feeling physically and/or mentally tired etc.
See also the section: “Vegetarian vs. Non-vegetarian Diets”.
For information on safe iron supplements please see the section: “Supplement Recommendations”.
7. If not vegetarian try to eat:
- organic eggs from chickens (and chickens) that have not been fed fishmeal or meal from mussels.
- fresh or frozen (loosely packed) - but not canned or vacuum packed in plastic or frozen and tightly packed in plastic inside a package - wild Pacific Pink salmon, sardines,rock sole from Alaska ( Stillahavsspätta in Swedish) ,Arctic shrimp and wild scallops.
Avoid all other fatty fish and all varieties of tuna fish.
Avoid all farmed fish and farmed seafood- even if organic.
Avoid all fish that comes from the severely polluted:
- Baltic Sea
- Eastern coast of the United States
- Gulf of Mexico
- North Atlantic
- North Sea
Choose instead wild fish that comes from the cleaner waters of:
+ the Arctic Ocean
+ the Barents Sea
+ the Southern Pacific
+ the Southern Atlantic Oceans
If you eat organic meats and wild meats make sure that they that not been aged and/or packed in vacuum packed plastic. (See the section on: “Food Packaging”)
Avoid the 3 Whites
8. White Fats-even if organic.
All of the following contain deadly transfats (trans-fatty acids):
- hydrogenated fats
- hardened fats
- partially hydrogenated fats
- partially hardened fats
- Avoid all “unspecified” vegetable fats (these are just listed as “Vegetable Fat” on the ingredient list).
- Avoid also all “unspecified” vegetable oils (these are just listed as “Vegetable oil” on the ingredient list).
- Never eat cottonseed oil.
Try to only use:
- organic extra-virgin olive oil - that is only packed in a dark glass bottle and not in a plastic bottle or in a metal can -and not any other vegetable oil.
- organic butter
- organic coconut oil - that is only packed in a glass jar and not packed in plastic
(I know that organic coconut oil is also white also but the concept of “unhealthy whites” was too good not to use!)
9. White sugar (and at least 30 other “Sugars” including raw) -even if organic.
Instead of “Sugars” use:
- fresh (organic) fruit
- organic Vanilla powder
- organic True Cinnamon not Cassia
- organic dried unsulphured fruit
- organic granulated dried dates
- pure Stevia – make sure that it is not combined with other food additives as it almost always is
- small amounts (1 tsp.) of organic honey, organic maple syrup, or organic blackstrap molasses
- organic apple juice
Note: Do not give any type of honey to babies that are less than one year old because of the danger of infant botulism.
10. White refined grain products - even if organic. This would include:
- white flour
- white rice
- sifted rye flour (which is why most rye breads are very light in color-the word “ sifted” does not have to be legally written on the list ingredient and is virtually never written on the ingredient list)
- rice flour
- rice starch
Avoid also eating French fries (see also the section: “Healthy Fats”), instant potatoes, mashed potatoes and potato starch. Try to eat potatoes (if you are not allergic to foods containing solanine such as: bell peppers -paprika in Swedish, eggplants, potatoes and tomatoes) together with their “skins” to obtain the fiber that is in the potato skins. Do not bake potatoes in aluminum foil. (See E173 in the E-number guide).
11. Reduce your use of white (or of any color) salt, and use healthy organic herbs and spices instead.
At least use organic herbal salt. Make sure that the salt you use does not contain any food additives.
- All canned foods, juices and drinks etc. (See the section:”Food Packaging”)
- Black tea
13. Try to avoid all food additives including all flavors - see the first page of the E-number guide.
14. Try to eat only organic foods as much as possible.
15. Try to avoid all the products in the section: “Unhealthy Food Products Found in Health Food Stores”.
Try to eat 5 servings of (organic) vegetables per day. (See the section “Why Organic?” as to why this is extremely important). Vegetables should always be slightly cooked before eating. This does two things:
- It makes their nutrients such as beta-carotene etc. and phytonutrients such as glucosinolates and lycopene etc. more available to the body (only vitamin C levels are slightly reduced by low temperature heating for a short time).
- It destroys or greatly decreases the levels of unhealthy substances in raw vegetables and sprouts such as:
- protease inhibitors
All vegetables and sprouts should be prepared in one of the following ways before eating:
- steamed for 5 minutes
(IKEA and many Chinese food stores sell inexpensive stainless steel steamers.)
Add the vegetables when the water is boiling not before.
Always keep the lid on and use the water afterwards as it will contain some vitamins and phytonutrients.
- lightly woked, at a low temperature, for a few minutes
(with a healthy fat -see the section: “Healthy Fats”) in a stainless steel wok and never in an aluminum or Teflon, silicone or plastic etc. coated wok.( See the section:" Healthy Cooking and Kitchen Supplies." )
- stir fried, at a low temperature, for a few minutes
with a healthy fat in a stainless steel or untreated iron frying pan and never in an aluminum or copper or Teflon, silicone or plastic etc. coated frying pan. (See the section: “Healthy Cooking and Kitchen Supplies.”)
- boiled for a 1-2 minutes
in a stainless steel pot and never in an aluminum, copper, or Teflon, silicone, or plastic etc. coated pot. (See the section: “Healthy Cooking and Kitchen Supplies.”)
Of the 3 methods, boiling is the least recommended (except for carrots, pumpkin, sweet potatoes pumpkin and winter squash – see the information on carrots below, and for spinach and Swiss Chard- see the section “Vegetable Warning”) as it could result in greater phytonutrient loss.
Note 1: Do not eat any food, of animal or vegetarian origin that has been“blackened” or slightly burnt, such as often is the case with (over)barbecued foods. The blackened parts always contain heterocyclic amines (HCA`s) that are proven cancer causing chemicals. (See the section: “Healthy Cooking and Kitchen Supplies”).
Heating is especially important when it comes to raw sprouts, because contrary to what many “health food experts” state, raw sprouts are especially rich in substances that lower your immune response. (See the earlier list in this section.) See also the section: “Grains and Beans”. Vegetables which are extremely rich in nutrients and/or phytonutrients include (See the site www.whfoods.com and the note about this site in the section “Nutritional Information about Food” for more detailed information):
- Bok Choy
- Broccoli - cutting up broccoli into pieces and waiting 5 minutes before cooking, actually results in the formation of new phytochemicals.
- Broccoli sprouts
- Brussels sprouts-see the cooking information listed for broccoli.
- Cabbage – especially red cabbage and the dark green varieties such as Savoy. If the cabbage is not organic, throw away the outer leaves.
- Carrots - should be cooked until soft so that the body can absorb the maximum amount of beta-carotene. This is also true for pumpkin, sweet potatoes and for winter squash.
Note: Some (healthy) fat must be eaten at the same time for the body to transform beta–carotene into Vitamin A. Diabetics, infants and people suffering from gallbladder disorders or poor thyroid function cannot convert beta-carotene into Vitamin A.
Carrots are healthiest when cooked whole, not cut or chopped up, to retain more falcarinol. Falcarinol is a powerful anti-cancer phytonutrient. Try to buy and eat only organic carrots as carrots are often heavily sprayed with pesticides.
- Cauliflower-see the cooking information listed for broccoli.
- Garlic – the medical effect of garlic is much greater if eaten raw. If you cook with garlic try adding it at the last few moments before serving.
Note: Always wait at least 10 minutes after chopping, cutting, squeezing or smashing etc. the raw garlic before eating it or cooking with it. This allows time for allicin to be created from the alliin in the garlic. Allicin is the major chemical responsible for the positive health effects that garlic has. (If you are worried about your breath- chew raw parsley or anise seeds afterwards).
- Leeks. After cutting leeks, wait for 10 minutes before cooking, to increase the formation of valuable sulfur compounds.
- Mustard greens-see note in “ Vegetable Warnings”
- Onions – make sure that the onions, if not organic, have not been treated with anti- sprouting agents.
The same is true for potatoes. All anti-sprouting chemicals are extremely dangerous to your health. Non- organic onions are also often irradiated. Organic produce is not allowed to be treated with anti-sprouting agents or allowed to be irradiated.
After cutting onions, wait for 10 minutes before cooking, to increase the formation of valuable sulfur compounds.
If boiling onions, do not throw away the liquid! A very powerful phytonutrient named quercetin is leached out of the onions when boiled.
- Oyster mushrooms
- Pumpkin-See the information under carrots.
- Shiitake mushrooms
- Sweet potatoes-See the information under carrots.
- Swiss chard ( Mangold or Silver beet)-see note in “ Vegetable warnings”
- Tomatoes – although actually a fruit, tomatoes release more of lycopene when heated.
Lycopene is a powerful phytonutrient and tomatoes are extremely rich in lycopene.
Cooked tomato products such as concentrated tomato paste or purée is much higher in lycopene than raw tomatoes. In order for the body to absorb the lycopene some (healthy) fat must also be present. (See the section: “Healthy Fats”).
- Winter squash - See the information under carrots.
Note: Collard greens, kale and spinach are also extremely nutritious but unfortunately, if not organic, are sprayed very heavily with pesticides and should be avoided if not available as organic. See the excellent site www.ewg.org for a list of fruit and vegetables and how heavily sprayed they are. American and European growing methods and pesticide use are very similar with the same results. (See also the section: “Why Organic?”)
Spinach is extremely high in oxalic acid - see “Vegetable Warnings”. Please note that because of the high amounts of oxalic acid in spinach, which binds up the iron found in spinach, the body cannot absorb very much the iron that is in spinach. So although nutritional charts list iron as being rich in iron and many “nutritional experts” recommend spinach as an excellent source of iron, it is not an excellent source of iron.
1. Do not eat any kind of raw mushrooms.
White button mushrooms (the ones commonly found in supermarkets) and Forest mushrooms (which are actually just brown white button mushrooms and are not found in the forest) champignon mushrooms and Portobello mushrooms (Crimini mushrooms) - all contain two carcinogenic (cancer causing) hydrazine derivatives - agaritine and gyromitrin. Both of these substances are significantly reduced by heat, but people suffering from any medical disorder should avoid these five kinds of mushrooms completely.
However, other mushrooms such as:
+ and Shiitake mushrooms all contain powerful anti-cancer substances (and taste just as good!)
All mushrooms should be cooked or fried (on low heat with a healthy fat - see the section: “Healthy Fats”) etc. before eating.
Note: See also the very important information concerning wild mushrooms in the information about bilberries in the “Fruit” section. Rinse all wild mushrooms thoroughly before cooking.
2. Although all sea vegetables such as dulse, kelp, and seaweeds such as arame, hiziki, nori and wakame etc. - are a source of trace minerals (found also in other vegetables and fruits) they are also a rich source of cesiumand of dangerous heavy metals such as arsenic, lead and mercury which they take up and concentrate from the waters that they are found in. I do not recommend that they should be eaten.
Dulse also contains undegraded carrageen E407 which the human body can easily degrade into the proven cancer causing substance of degraded carrageen.
3. Avoid eating any parts of a celery stalk that are even slightly brownish or rust colored.
This discolored celery contains psoralens. Psoralens are substances that sensitize the skin to the harmful effects of ultraviolet waves.
Only buy and eat organic celery, as celery is extremely heavily sprayed with pesticides. (See the section: “Why Organic?”)
4. Certain extremely healthy vegetables such as collard greens, leeks, mustard greens, parsley, spinach and Swiss chard are high in oxalic acid and must be avoided by people suffering from certain medical disorders. (See the section: “Fruit Warnings”)
However, for people not suffering from these medical disorders only beet greens, spinach and Swiss chard- which are all extremely high in oxalic acid - should be added to boiled water and boiled for one minute - with the water being thrown away before eating - to reduce their oxalic acid content.
5. People suffering from:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- any joint pain
- and pain from any illness of known or unknown origin, should avoid eating all foods containing solanine which includes:
- Bell peppers of all colors (paprika in Swedish)
- Paprika including sweet paprika
- Peppers-chili, jalapeno, pimento etc.
- Potatoes including potato starch (Note: Sweet potatoes and yams contain no solanine)
- Tomatoes including tomatillos
People suffering from the following medical disorders have also been helped by avoiding solanine containing foods:
- Gastro Esophagal Reflex Disease
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Thyroid disorders
Solanine is also found in lesser amounts in:
Try to eat at least 5 servings of (organic) fruit per day. (See the section: “Why Organic?” as to why this is extremely important).
Fruits that are very sweet should ideally be eaten on a full stomach to avoid creating an immediate high level of sugar (glucose) in the bloodstream. All fruit juices and carrot juice should be diluted one third with water for the same reason. (See the section: “Sugars.”)
Virtually all fruits are healthy, but the fruits listed below are especially rich in both nutrients and/or phytonutrients (see the site www.whfoods.com) and the note about this site in the section: “Nutritional Information about Food” for more detailed information):
- Fresh or dried unsulphured apricots. (See E220- E225 in the E-number guide). Certified organic dried fruit is always unsulphured.
Note: Only buy certified organic dried fruit.
According to the law in the EU and in many other countries dried fruit is allowed to be treated with E220-E225 as long as the residue is less than 10 mg. per kilo - which is more than enough to cause a severe allergic reaction on some people - and does not have to be listed on the package as an ingredient!
This is in spite of the EU claiming that all food additives must be listed on the label as ingredients!
This why you can buy non-organic granolas and muesli etc. which have pieces of brightly orange colored papaya bits and cubes and brightly yellow colored pineapple bits and cubes yet have no E220-E225 listed on the ingredient declaration!
Dried organic unsulphured apricots (and all dried organic unsulphured fruits) should be ideally soaked overnight to reduce their natural concentrated sugar levels. In order for the maximum amount of beta-carotene present to be converted into Vitamin A by the body, some fat (see the section: “Healthy Fats”) must be eaten at the same time. This is true for all food sources of beta-carotene, such as carrots, mangoes, papayas, sweet potatoes and winter squash etc.
Lycopene which is present in high amounts in tomato concentrate and tomato paste (make sure that it is packed in glass and not in plastic, or in a can, or in a tube) is also much better absorbed when some (healthy) fat is eaten at the same time.
Infants, diabetics and people suffering from gallbladder problems or poor thyroid function cannot make this conversion in their bodies.
Do not eat “softened” dried fruit sold in plastic pouches etc. – even if it is organic (see the section “Fruit Warnings”).
Specially healthy fruits include:
- Bilberries. These are smaller than blueberries and have a blue color not a white color inside, and are virtually always wild. In Sweden and in other Scandinavian countries etc. they are called blueberries.
Note: In almost all the countries where wild bilberries and wild mushrooms grow - check with governmental officials - there also exists an extremely dangerous parasite named the dwarf tapeworm. This parasite lives in wild animals such as foxes that through their fecal droppings can infest wild berries and wild mushrooms.
This parasite once inside humans can lie dormant with no symptoms for up to 15 years, and can result in liver destruction and even death.
Note: Thoroughly rinse off all wild berries and wild mushrooms and heat them for a minimum of 60 degrees centigrade for at least 5 minutes to destroy the parasite. Do not eat them raw even if frozen. Freezing does not destroy this parasite. Cooking does not affect the phytonutrients found in bilberries or mushrooms.
- Mango - see the information about beta-carotene under apricots. See the note about oxalic acid in the “Fruit Warning” section.
- Pomergranate (and pomergranate juice)
Note: Although pomegranates and pomegranate juice are both tremendously healthy, if you are taking any medication - especially anti-hypersensitive or cholesterol lowering medication - you should ask your doctor before consuming them, as they can interact with many medications.
- Dried prunes and unoiled raisins - make sure that they are not treated with E 200 Sorbic acid (See the E- number guide). Certified organic dried fruit is always untreated with E200 Sorbic Acid.
Note: Even organic raisins are often oiled - usually with unhealthy sunflower oil. Read the ingredients! See the section: “Healthy Fats and Oils”.
Note 1: The following non-organic fruits are also all extremely healthy but are also especially heavily sprayed with dangerous pesticides and are therefore best avoided if not organic:
- Dark Grapes (and dark grape juice)
- Green, red, and yellow bell peppers (paprika in Swedish). (Bell peppers are botanically speaking actually a fruit! See the note on oxalic acid in the: “Fruit Warning” section).
See the excellent site www.ewg.org for a list of fruit and vegetables and how heavily sprayed they are. American and European growing methods and pesticide use are very similar with the same results. (See also the section: “Why Organic”).
Non-organic apples, bell peppers, cucumbers, eggplants, nectarines, peaches, plums and zucchini etc. are often waxed with dangerous paraffin wax or a similar derivative. See E 905 in the E-number guide.
Oranges and tangerines (and all citrus fruits) are also extremely healthy (if you are not allergic to citrus fruits) but if not organic are almost always (as with all non-organic bananas) treated with deadly fungicides. See E 230 – E 233 in the E-number guide and Imazalil etc. which has no E number. If they are treated it should legally state that on the cardboard box or wooden crate that they were shipped in (however that is not always the case.) Organic produce is not allowed to be treated with any fungicides.
Never use any non-organic orange, lemon, mandarin, tangerine or any non-organic citrus peel in cakes, candies, or cookies etc. because of the deadly fungicides that they have been treated with.
Never chop up any non-organic citrus fruit and put a piece with the peel into water or juices etc. because these fungicides will enter the water.
The same is true for the dangerous waxes used on non-organic fruits that are on the peel. These deadly fungicides and waxes are impregnated into the peel and cannot be washed away.
In fact, in certain countries such as Germany it is even the law that all food stores must have signs in the citrus fruit sections of food stores warning customers not to eat the peel because it has been chemically treated.
These deadly fungicides also enter the boxes of the fruit that they have been packed in.
Many cases of severe skin disorders and skin disease have been caused by clothes and even books that have simply been packed in these boxes. Never use banana boxes or any other fruit boxes (unless they have had organic fruit packed in them) for moving or for storage.(Organic produce is not allowed to be treated with these deadly fungicides).
Pears and various exotic fruits such as papayas etc. are also extremely nutritious, but if they are not organic, they are always wrapped in paper that always contains the same deadly fungicides that are used on citrus fruit - see E 230 – E233 etc. in the E-number guide.
The same is true for all non -organic fruit that is wrapped in paper. These fungicides do enter the fruit.
The shipping cartons and wooden crates that contain fruit that is packed in fungicide treated paper do not have to legally state that the fruit has been treated with a fungicide!
If American papayas are not certified as organic they are virtually always GMO (Genetically modified.) (See the section: “Genetically Modified (GMO) Foods”).
1. Do not eat any “softened” dried fruit that is packed in plastic bags, even if is certified organic dried fruit such as organic apricots, or prunes etc. This dried fruit has first been softened with steam and then put hot into plastic bags and then pasteurized while in the plastic bag. As a result of this process many of the dangerous chemicals in the plastic have been leached from the plastic into the fruit. See the section: “Food Packaging” for more information.
2. Figs (dried, fresh, paste or syrup etc.) virtually always contain high levels of aflatoxin.
This is also the case with peanuts and peanut butter and pistachio nuts.
Note: This is true whether these foods are organically grown or not!
Aflatoxin is produced by two common moulds that are not visible to the naked eye, aspergillums flavus and aspergilus parasiticus, and is not affected by heat. Aflatoxin is an extremely powerful liver cancer causing substance. Although many foods could contain aflatoxin, it has been only found consistently in extremely high amounts in the above foods.
Figs can easily be replaced by any dried unsulphured (organic) fruit, such as apricots, mangoes, prunes, and raisins, all of which are richer in nutrients and/or phytonutrients than figs. Peanuts and pistachio nuts can be replaced by raw unroasted and unsalted almonds and raw unroasted and unsalted sunflower seeds etc. both of which are also richer in nutrients and/or phytonutrients. For more important information on nuts and seeds please read the section “Healthy Fats”.
3. To avoid the danger of Hepatitis A – always rinse off all frozen berries and other frozen fruit and boil them for one minute.
4. Grapefruits and especially grapefruit juice as well as pomegranates and pomegranate juice can often interfere with the effect of many medications. If you are taking any medication whatsoever, it would wise to avoid these two products and to substitute another kind of fruit and juice, or to at least ask your pharmacist to check it out for you.
5. Carambola or star fruit and rhubarb must not be eaten by anyone suffering from:
-any kind of kidney disorder or kidney disease
- gallbladder disease
- rheumatoid arthritis
Carambola and rhubarb contain extremely high levels of oxalic acid and other chemicals which are extremely dangerous for people suffering from the above medical disorders. Carambola also contains a neurotoxin.
5. Other foods that are very high in oxalic acid that should be avoided by people suffering from the above medical conditions include:
- all beans-including soya beans and all products made with soya beans
- beet greens
- bell peppers (Paprika in Swedish)
- cashew nuts
- cocoa and chocolate
- lambs quarter-leeks
- mustard greens
- pecan nuts
- Swiss chard (Mangold, Silver beet)
- unhulled sesame seeds
- wheat bran
Grains and Beans
(See the site www.whfoods.com - and the note about this site in the section “Nutritional Information about Food” - for more detailed information).
As with all foods, try to get all of your grains and beans from organic sources. (See the section “Why Organic?” as to why this is extremely important).
All whole grains and whole grain flours, and wholegrain flakes etc. are healthy, if you are not allergic to them.
If you are allergic or are sensitive to gluten - which is at least 10% of the population - you must avoid barley, dinkel (spelt), kamut, rye, triticale, and wheat and all products containing them (always read the ingredients of everything that you eat and drink) and possibly oats although some people who are allergic or sensitive to gluten can eat oats.
Note: The meat substitute product “seitan” consists of pure gluten.
The amount of gluten present in the wheat that is grown today is over 10 times greater (due to selective breeding) than the amount of gluten that was grown only 50 years ago. This is true for organic wheat also. This has been done to improve bread making.
Amaranth, buckwheat, corn, millet, quinoa and rice are all gluten free. Amaranth is especially nutritious because of its excellent amino- acid protein make-up, and it is the only grain that is high in calcium.
When cooking whole grains do not rinse the grain first, as this leaches out the B-vitamins. Any dust etc. will come to the surface during cooking where it can be spooned away.
Note: Recent tests in many countries have found extremely high levels of dangerous arsenic and lead in both organic and non-organic: brown and white rice and rice products such as baby food, rice milk and rice puffed crackers etc.
This is because the rice plants takes up arsenic much more than other grains and because the water in which the rice grows is often very high in arsenic and lead.
Avoid eating all varieties of rice and rice products as much as possible-even if organic- and try using organic barley and organic quinoa etc instead.
All cooked beans (with the exception of soya beans and all unfermented soya products - see point number 3 in the section: “Nutritional Information about Food”) are healthy with red kidney beans, pinto beans, and black beans, containing the most phytonutrients.
Try eating black, green, red or yellow lentils. They are all very healthy for you and do not have to be pre-soaked. They only have to be boiled for 20 minutes and have a wonderful spicy taste.
Notes: Do not buy beans in cans (or any food in cans) because of the BPA or BPS etc. which is present in all cans which then leaches into the food inside the can. See the section: “BPA, BPS and Phthalates”.
Do not buy popcorn-( even if organic ! ) in bags that you simply add to the microwave or oven!The inside lining all of these bags contain extremely dangerous chemicals called PFOA 's (see the section on PFOA) which then contaminate the popcorn.
Grain and Bean Warnings
1. All beans as well as amaranth, buckwheat and quinoa contain extremely high amounts of oxalic acid and must not be eaten by people suffering from certain medical conditions. (For further information see the section: “Fruit Warnings”).
2. Quinoa must not be fed to infants less than two years of age because of the residual level of saponins that are still present - even after rinsing and cooking.
3. Do not eat wheat germ unless it is non-solvent treated, less than 1 week old and has been refrigerated since production. Due to the fact that it is both high in fat and that the fat is fully exposed to air, wheat germ will turn rancid after one week at room temperature- even if it does not taste bad!
4. Do not eat any uncooked beans, uncooked bean sprouts uncooked grains or uncooked grain sprouts. Please see the list of unhealthy substances found at the beginning of the Vegetable section. Raw beans and raw bean sprouts also contain the toxic substance phytohemagglutinin.
5. Due to the use of extremely dangerous chemicals such as BPA and BPS (Bisphenol A, Bisphenol S) etc. that are found in all cans I am against eating all canned food and also drinking from any can. (See the sections: “BPA, BPS and Phthalates”)
It is a scandal that all organic certifying associations allow organic food and organic drinks and organic juices etc. to be packed in cans and in plastic containers containing BPA and BPS etc.!
6. Beans and any food that are sold in tetra-packs are also not recommended as during production these foods are poured while still hot into the plastic lined tetra- pack. All plastics leach out dangerous chemicals such as adipates, phthalates, plasticizers and softeners etc. into the food -and even more so when exposed to heat. (See the section: “Food packaging.”)
The best (and cheapest!) thing to do is to cook all beans and grains yourself in a stainless steel pot or a totally intact-not cracked or chipped-crock pot. Do not use an aluminum and/ or Teflon or silicone coated etc. rice cooker. See the section: “Healthy Kitchenware and Cookware”. Stainless steel rice cookers are available.
7. Never boil (or cook) any food or meal etc. that is packed in plastic with instructions to simply boil the plastic bag with the food in it in water.
Healthy Fats and Oils
For very important information on healthy fats, including butter, and coconut oil please see the excellent site www.westonprice.org.
- Note: I do not agree with all of the dietary recommendations that this site presents - which can easily be noticed when comparing my dietary recommendations with the dietary recommendations on this site. I do however agree fully with their information and recommendations about healthy fats and their information and recommendations against raps (canola) oil and other oils and unfermented soya products.
It is extremely important to realize that all pesticides, and environmental poisons such as dioxin, PCB`s etc., always concentrate in the fat or in the oil. The highest residues of all these dangerous chemicals are always found in the fat or in the oil.
That is why it is so extremely important that you should try your hardest to get healthy fats from only organic sources.
Nutritious foods that contain healthy fat include organic:
- Almonds - which are raw, unroasted, unsalted, and unblanched (with the “skin”)
- Coconut oil - which is actually a solid and not a liquid oil
See the well documented article: “Why Butter is Better” at www.westonprice.org (and the above note on this site).
As well as being organic, coconut oil must be unbleached, undeoderized and not hexane extracted. Hexane is a solvent and is used in virtually all non-organic oils to extract the oil. It has been proven to cause birth defects, cancer and changes in the DNA and can never be completely removed from the oil. (This includes wheat germ oil which is also often found in Vitamin E products).
Only buy organic coconut oil if it is in a glass jar and not in a plastic container as the fat in the coconut oil (or in any oil or fat) will leach out dangerous chemicals such adipates, plasticizers, pthalaters and softeners etc. from the plastic into the coconut oil itself. (Heat, water, and the blood and fat in foods will also leach out these deadly chemicals from the plastic into the food or liquid that is packed in it.)
Coconut oil is high in medium chain fatty acids (MCFA) and contains both caprylic acid and lauric acid all of which are very healthy for the body.
- Coconut oil does not cause heart disease.
See the well documented article: “The Latest Studies on Coconut Oil” at: www.westonprice.org and the above note on this site). Coconut oil raises only raises the “good” cholesterol- high density cholesterol (HDL) - not the “bad” cholesterol – low density cholesterol (LDL).
The typical Western diet that contains:
* non-organic saturated fats that are high in deadly contaminants
* extremely dangerous transfats that are found in hydrogenated or hardened fats and in partially hydrogenated or partially hardened fats (See the section “Unhealthy Fats and Oils”) and that is high in sugars, and refined grains and the use of tobacco products cause heart disease and many other diseases as well.
In his worldwide travels, Dr. Weston Price found many examples of different nationalities and of different tribes having no heart disease yet eating a diet that was very high in (organic) saturated fat and which (at that time- 1930-1940) did not include the above listed health destroyers that are found in the typical Western diet.
Among these peoples were the Eskimos, many North American Indian tribes, South Pacific islanders, and various tribes in Africa such as the Chewya, Masai, Muhimi, Neurs, Samburu and Watusi etc. See the above recommended site for information about this truly remarkable man.
Extra virgin olive-oil – this means that the olive oil is only from the first pressing on the olives. Olives are pressed up to 7 times. Only the first pressing can be guaranteed to be free of solvents such as hexane and produced without the application of any heat. Extra virgin olive is the only oil that can truly be called cold-pressed without any application of heat.
Except for extra virgin olive oil, all other liquid oils, whether organic or not, must be subjected to very high temperatures in order to be produced. All the liquid vegetable oils used today-whether they are organic or not- such as olive oil which is not extra-virgin, canola or rapeseed oil, corn oil, flax seed oil, peanut oil, rice bran oil, safflower oil, sesame oil, soya oil, sunflower oil, wheat germ oil and all “nut oils” such as hazelnut oil or walnut oil etc. can only be produced under high temperatures and can never be truly “cold pressed” regardless of what the label might state!
Heating any liquid oil to high temperatures, as is the case with all these other oils when they were produced, produces lipid peroxides and free radicals both of which are dangerous to your health (see “Note 3” below.)
Lipid peroxides and free radicals have been linked to causing atherosclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, immune deficiency, cancer, osteoarthritis and cataracts. (Source: “Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine” by Dr. Michael Murray N.D. and Dr. Joseph Pizzorno N.D. See also the section: “Sources of Information on Healing”).
Many oils that claim to be truly “cold –pressed” are made from foods that have been roasted first and then cold –pressed! Many nuts and seeds such as hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds and walnuts etc. are virtually always roasted first before being pressed to make oil from them. Sesame seeds are also usually roasted before being pressed to create sesame oil.
The term “Cold-pressed” in most countries, such as the United States etc. has absolutely no legal definition!
In other countries, such as those in the EU, the term cold-pressed legally mean that the oil can be produced at temperatures that are allowed to reach up to 40 degrees centigrade! That is hardly “cold pressed!
Only buy organic extra virgin olive oil if it is in a dark glass bottle - never in a plastic bottle, metal can or a clear glass bottle- and keep it in a dark cool area. The glass bottle must be made of dark glass to protect the oil against light.
Do not buy organic extra-virgin olive oil –or any oil or any food or water etc.-if it is in a metal can or in any kind of plastic bottle. As mentioned before, this is because of the dangerous chemicals such as the phthalates etc. in plastics and the BPA or BPS etc. which are in the lining of every metal can –which leach out in the oil, food, or water etc. (See the sections: “Food Packaging” and “BPA, BPS and Phthalates”).
As with all foods, always check the best before date. If the organic extra-virgin olive oil has sediment at the bottom of the bottle it does not mean that it is old.
This just means that it is unfiltered.
Bread and all baked goods should only contain healthy saturated fats (fats which are a solid at room temperature) such as organic butter or organic coconut oil (or organic palm oil, and organic palm kernel oil which are used in large scale organic food production and are not usually sold in small quantities in stores).
Healthy saturated fats are the only kind of fats that should be used when baking (or frying) because of the very high temperatures that the fat is subjected to. They do not create lipid peroxides and free radicals when subjected to high temperatures.
All liquid vegetable oils are either monosaturated oils such as olive oil and extra-virgin olive oil and rapeseed (canola) oil or polyunsaturated oils such as corn oil, flax seed oil, grape seed oil, peanut oil, rice bran oil, safflower oil, sesame oil, soya bean oil, sunflower oil and wheat germ oil and various nut oils should never be used for baking or frying because they create both dangerous lipid peroxides and free radicals when subjected to high temperatures both during frying and baking (and – except for extra-virgin olive oil – when they were made also).
Polyunsaturated oils -especially corn oil and sunflower oil- release high concentrations of aldehydes when they are heated.Aldehydes have been linked to causing cancer,dementia and heart disease.
Organic extra- virgin olive oil makes a wonderful substitute for butter on bread for people avoiding dairy products. There is no one flavor of organic extra-virgin olive oil.
Organic extra-virgin olive oil can range in taste from light and flowery to strong and fruity to spicy and peppery and everything in between! There exists many different kinds of olives each producing an olive oil with a distinctive taste. Extra-virgin organic olive oil can be made from just one variety of olive or a mixture, so try different brands if you have not found one that you like.
Raps, rapeseed oil or canola oil-whether it is organic or not- must not only be highly heated to be produced but must also be highly refined in order for it to be used and eaten. Unrefined canola oil is very thick and jellylike, and both smells and tastes horrible.
- This refinement process actually produces dangerous transfats in all canola oils whether they are organic or not! Yet canola oil is widely advertised as healthy oil containing no transfats!
Please read the excellent article on canola oil: “The Great Conola” on the site www.westonprice.org for further information on this fraud.
Note also that organic canola is the most common oil, along with non-organic corn oil-which is also labeled as maize oil- that is used in organic baby food in glass jars! Just read the ingredients of your organic baby food.
Never use or eat any food that just states “vegetable oil” or “vegetable fat” as an ingredient because it is often cottonseed oil or hydrogenated cottonseed oil. After the Second World War, the food industry came up with the idea to press the oil out of the millions of tons of cotton seeds they had leftover every season to produce a food oil.
Cotton is legally considered an industrial crop and not a food crop so it can be sprayed with extremely deadly pesticides which are forbidden to be used on food crops, such as endosulfan, monocrotophos, toxaphene and many others.
- All of these deadly pesticides that are forbidden to be used on foods are now in a food that is widely consumed.
- This is a criminal scandal but no-one has stopped it because cottonseed oil is such an inexpensive source of oil!
Note: Cottonseed oil is the oil most commonly used in restaurants either by itself or blended into other oils and fats to make fried foods such as French fries or fried meats and vegetables etc. and to make deep fried foods. It is even used in some “health food” vegetarian cheeses etc. and in some vitamin, mineral and herbal supplements etc. Always read the ingredient list of any food (and supplement) even if it is organic and bought in a health food store.
Cattle that are not from organic farms are routinely allowed to go into cotton fields once the cotton has been picked to eat the leaves of the cotton plant. Dried cotton leaves are also commonly added to cattle field. Of course then all these deadly pesticides then end up in the flesh of the animal!
Sunflower seeds when heated –which they must be to create sunflower oil-produce the cancer-causing chemical benzopyrene. Benzopyrene is also created in sunflower seeds when they are roasted.When sunflower oil ( and corn oil ) is heated it produces extremely high amounts of aldehydes.Aldehydes are toxic cancer-causing chemicals. Eat only raw unroasted, unsalted whole sunflower seeds
I know it sounds boring, but if you pick out the raw sunflower seeds that are broken, brown, or yellow, there will be a tremendous difference in flavor because these sunflower seeds are rancid and taste horrible! Even a few will affect the extremely delicate and sweet taste of fresh raw whole sunflower seeds.
Note: Never buy or eat broken or crushed sunflower seeds. They are always rancid. All rancid foods are extremely unhealthy.
Nut and Seed Warnings
1. All raw, unroasted and unsalted nuts and seeds, with the exception of peanuts and peanut butter, and pistachio nuts are also recommended and are an excellent source of healthy fats. Unblanched almonds (with their “skins”), Brazil nuts and sunflower seeds are especially nutritious. Brazil nuts are the richest known food source of the extremely important mineral selenium. Only 3 Brazil nuts per day will fulfill your daily requirement for selenium.
Another plus is that Brazil nuts are not a cultivated crop they are always wild. Please see the very important note on aflatoxin and figs, peanuts and peanut butter, and pistachio nuts in the section: “Fruit Warnings”.
2. Never buy any broken nuts or seeds such as:
- almond flakes or slivers (eat unblanched “with their skin” whole unroasted and unsalted almonds)
- Brazil nut pieces (try also to buy whole unroasted and unsalted Brazil nuts with their “skin.”)
- cashew bits or halves
- ground up or broken flax seeds or flaxseed meal
- hazelnut bits or flakes (eat unblanched whole “with their skins” unroasted and unsalted hazelnuts)
- hemp meal
- sunflower pieces or sunflower meal
- and walnut halves, quarters or pieces etc.
Store bought broken nut and seed pieces are always rancid and are extremely unhealthy - even if they do not sometimes taste that bad! Always buy the whole nut or seed and chop them up yourself as you need them, and not in advance. They will taste much sweeter and fresher and are always cheaper in price!
A coffee grinder is excellent for chopping up and grinding nuts and seeds , but be sure to wash it weekly ( with a both color free and fragrance free detergent) and rinse and dry it well to avoid bacteria buildup and to avoid consuming old rancid oils. Macadamia nuts, pine nuts and walnuts are especially fragile and turn rancid extremely quickly. Try to get these nuts unshelled, or under refrigeration, or at least as very fresh as possible. If you buy Brazil nuts (which are also called Para nuts in some countries), try to get them hand shelled where the nuts still have their entire brown “skin.”
Hand shelled Brazil nuts will have a smooth surface instead of having nicks and small pieces missing from the nuts. These hand shelled Brazil nuts will taste much sweeter and more buttery than the usual Brazil nuts. Brazil nuts are always wild and are extremely high in selenium, an extremely important mineral which most people do not receive enough of in their diets. As stated before - only three Brazil nuts per day will fulfill your daily requirement for selenium.
Note: If you bite any nut in half, and it is brown in the middle, as is often the case with Brazil nuts, hazelnuts and macadamia nuts etc. that means it is rancid and it should not be eaten, even if it does not taste bad.
3. Although in food charts raw unhulled sesame seeds are shown to be much higher in calcium and other minerals than raw hulled sesame seeds, this extra amount of calcium is not absorbable due to the very high levels of both oxalic acid and phytic acid that are found in the raw unhulled sesame seeds. These two acids bind up the minerals and make them unabsorbable. (The same is true for the spinach - which in food charts is shown to be high in iron but because this iron is bound to oxalic acid spinach is actually not a good source of iron). Raw unhulled sesame seeds and the raw tahini or raw sesame butter made from it are not a good source of calcium for people who avoid dairy products. The unhulled sesame seeds must be both roasted and ground for the body to absorb some of the minerals which are found in the hull-which is usually the case with most tahini and sesame butters unless it states raw on the label.
4. Almonds, unhulled sesame seeds, cashew nuts are very high in oxalic acid and must be avoided by people suffering from certain medical conditions. Please see the section: “Fruit Warnings”.
5. Keep all nuts and seeds under refrigeration (unless unshelled) and ask your food store to do the same.
Flax and Flaxseed Oil
Be aware that many people, especially in areas of traditionally high fatty fish consumption - such as in Scandinavia - lack the enzyme (delta-6-desaturase) to convertthe Omega 3 fatty acid(alpha- linolenic acid) that is found in certain vegetarian foods such as in:
- flax seeds and flaxseed oil
- hemp seeds and hemp seed oil
- rapeseed (canola) oil
- soya oil
- chia seeds
- perilla seeds
- and sea buckthorn etc. to EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexanoic acid).
EPA and DHA is what your body uses and needs.
Even if you do happen to posses this enzyme, other factors such as having high cholesterol levels, high insulin levels, being overweight or having diabetes also reduces your body’s ability to transform this Omega 3 fatty acid that is found in vegetarian foods to EPA and DHA.
Wild Pacific salmon sardines, Arctic shrimp, krill oil and fish oil, and all fatty fish (see later), already contain EPA and DHA and require no transformation.
Note: Flaxseeds are a goitrogen (foods that suppress the function of the thyroid gland and impair the absorption of iodine) and must not be eaten by people who have problems with their thyroid.
Make sure that you wash the coffee grinder weekly (using a both color free and fragrance free detergent and rinse and dry well) to avoid bacteria buildup and to avoid consuming old rancid oils.
- Never eat broken or ground flaxseeds! Broken or ground flaxseeds release a chemical called linamarin which is a cyanogenic glucoside which then converts into cyanide in the human intestinal tract. Cyanide is extremely poisanous !
- Note: If you choose to use flaxseed oil, then only buy flaxseed oil if:
- it has not been made with the use of a solvent such as hexane
- it has been pressed at under 40°
- it is packed in a glass dark bottle
- it has been stored in a fridge or cooler
- and has a well advanced “Best before” date
Flaxseed oil is extremely unstable and goes rancid very quickly because it is extremely high in polyunsaturated fats. Always keep it in the fridge and use it up as it soon as possible!
If you use flaxseed oil capsules, then in addition to the above recommendations, make sure that the gelatin or vegetarian capsules do not contain any dangerous food additives such as E200, E320, E321 and E420 etc. (See the E-number guide.)
Food additives do not have to be listed on the label if they are found in the capsules. In addition, make sure that the gelatin capsules are hexane free. (See the section on coconut oil.) Ask the producer to reply to your questions in a letter. A letter is a legal document, but a telephone conversation and an e-mail is not. (See point number three in the section: “Supplement Recommendations”).
Vegetarian vs. Non-vegetarian Diets
There exists a tremendous amount of “factual” misinformation on both sides of the camp as to whether a vegetarian diet or a non-vegetarian diet is healthier. An extremely complicating factor making it virtually impossible to do truly objective comparable studies, is that most people who follow a vegetarian diet that have been studied in detailed long term large studies such as Seventh Day Adventists and other groups do not use any kind of tobacco products, do not drink alcohol, do not drink coffee and generally are much more health conscious in regards to their weight and exercise etc. than the average non-vegetarian that they are compared to.
Another complicating factor is that there is no “one “vegetarian” diet. There are at least 4 kinds of vegetarian diets.
A vegetarian diet could be:
- Lacto-ovo-marine vegetarian-also called Pescetarian- (dairy-egg-seafood)
- Lacto-ovo vegetarian (dairy and egg)
- Lacto vegetarian (dairy)
- Vegan, with none of the above 3 groups of foods consumed.
It must be understood that our digestive system is designed to digest both vegetarian food and animal based food. The spiritual side of this issue is of course subjective and must be left up to the individual to decide. If you feel bad eating any animal based foods you should not eat those foods but please note that although it is of course possible to be totally healthy on a vegetarian or vegan diet (see the extremely important information for men and women vegans and Vitamin B12 below) getting enough iron for vegetarian and especially vegan women during their childbearing years can be difficult.
In Western countries the anemic rate for menstruating women is approximately 40%. I am very sure that the percentage for menstruating vegetarian women and especially menstruating vegan women is much higher because the major food sources of the best absorbable iron in the diet are meat products and eggs.
Note: Vegan women and even vegetarian women are often virtually “addicted” to:
- “Sugars” (even “natural” ones such as organic: dried fruit, honey, maple syrup and raw sugars etc.)
- Caffeine (coffee, teas, guarana and cocoa/ chocolate etc.)
- and even tobacco products because they often feel physically and/or mentally exhausted.
Careful attention to a vegetarian or vegan diet must be made to ensure that it contains enough iron which is vitally important to menstruating women. See the site: www.whfoods.com (and read the important note about this site in the section: “Nutritional Information”) and google under iron to find out the richest non-animal food sources of iron and which of these foods appeal to you.
You then can incorporate these foods into your diet on a daily basis in the amount that you need to get the daily recommended allowance for iron. See also the information on spinach and unhulled sesame seeds in the “Vegetables” section. For more important information on iron, including iron supplements, please see point number three in the section: “Supplement Recommendations”. Although foods should always be the first choice to obtain any nutrient, supplements may be necessary at times.
Note: Men do not usually suffer from lack of iron unless:
- they are bleeding (such as from a stomach ulcer)
- they have a parasite within themselves
- they are gluten intolerant
Extremely Important Note for Vegans!
It has been proven beyond any doubt whatsoever, that the kind Vitamin B12 from any non-animal food source cannot be absorbed by humans. This kind of Vitamin B12 is actually a Vitamin B12 analogue and is not absorbable by humans. Absorbable Vitamin B12 is only found in milk and milk products, eggs, fish and meat.
Foods such as spirulina, chlorella, Upper Klamath algae and any variety of algae or kelp, as well as tempeh, miso, sour kraut (fermented cabbage), and sunflower seeds etc. all contain this kind of vitamin B12 and it cannot be absorbed by humans. This is a very serious problem for all vegans, both women and men.
Many dishonest companies produce spirulina capsules, powders and tablets etc. and advertise them as a rich source of Vitamin B12! Over the years I have contacted many of those companies to ask for any scientific proof and/or any documentation whatsoever of humans being able to absorb Vitamin B12 from spirulina and I have never received any reply! That is simply because it does not exist!
Vitamin B12 supplements are always vegan. All Vitamin B12 supplements are made from corn dextrose fermentation and are therefore acceptable to all vegans. A Vitamin B12 supplement must be taken all vegans!
Ask the producer of the Vitamin B12 supplement to answer you in a letter as to whether the corn used is GMO (genetically modified) or not and ask them to reply in a letter. As mentioned before, a letter is a legal document whereas a telephone conversation or an e-mail is not. Note: Both the companies “Pure Encapsulations” and “Thorne Research” will provide documentation that their Vitamin B12 products are GMO free. Note also that I have absolutely no connection to these companies or to any of the companies mentioned in this book.
Lack of vitamin B12 can cause /Note: Almost all of these medical disorders can be caused by a lack of iron also/:
- mental and/or physical exhaustion
- equilibrium difficulties
- memory loss
- mental confusion
- numbness in the hands and / or feet
- personality change
- tingling in the hands and/or feet
- and if pregnant a lack of adequate Vitamin B12 (or iron) will damage your baby.
It is interesting to note that when very strict vegan religious groups in India were examined, it was found that many suffered no medical disorders from a lack of Vitamin B12. The reason for this was found to be the insect eggs, and larvae that had gone undetected and was ground up in the grains to make the flour for the bread that they were eating. This fact was also the case when certain groups of Hindus who were strict vegans who were healthy in India, developed medical disorders caused by a lack of Vitamin B12 when they moved to the U.K.
This was because that the flour and grain products in the U.K. were much more strictly controlled than the same products that they were eating in India.
As well as the extremely serious problems of vegan men and women not having a food source of Vitamin B12 in their diet, both vegan men and women also must pay careful attention to their diet to insure that they receive enough calcium in their diets as they eat no dairy product which are the major food sources of calcium in our diet. See the site: www.whfoods.com (and read the important note about this site in the section: “Nutritional Information”) and google under calcium to find out the richest non-dairy food sources of calcium and which of these foods appeal to you. You then can incorporate these foods into your diet on a daily basis in the amount that you need to get the daily recommended allowance for calcium.
See also the important information regarding raw unhulled sesame seeds (and the tahini or nut butter made from it) and calcium in the section: “Healthy Fats”.
If testing is done for Vitamin B12, the subject must not have been taking folic acid, as folic acid can hide a deficiency of Vitamin B12.
Non-Vegetarian Sources of Healthy Fats
Another source of healthy fats is fatty fish, which is rich in EPA and DHA, both of which are used by the body to make prostaglandins which perform many important functions in the body and help to inhibit cancer formation. The healthiest fatty fish are wild Pacific salmon as well as wild scallops ( they must state"wild" on the package as they are often farmed) and Arctic shrimps, that are fresh or frozen (loosely packed) but are not:
- packed in plastic inside a package
- vacuum packed in plastic
This is because of the danger of the substances found in plastic such as phthalates etc. and of BPA and BPS etc., which are dangerous chemicals that are found in all tin cans -see the section: “Food Packaging” and because canned foods are always heated during processing to extremely high temperatures, which destroys the EPA and DHA. This is also the reason for that fatty fish should not be cooked at high temperatures.
- Never eat any raw salmon or any raw fish unless it has been frozen first! This is the law in many countries such as in Sweden because raw fish is a rich source of parasites.
Unfortunately, many Japanese restaurants pride themselves on fresh raw fish that has not been frozen. If in a Japanese restaurant always ask if the raw fish has been frozen or not before eating it!
Farmed salmon (even if organic) and farmed trout and char etc. are always fed with the cheapest ground up fish (fishmeal) that virtually always comes from heavily polluted waters such as the Baltic Sea, the North Sea, the Gulf of Mexico and the Gulf Stream waters flowing up off the heavily polluted East coast of the United States etc.
This is why even the farmed salmon coming from the “crystal clean” waters of Norway were found to be so high in extremely dangerous mercury, dioxins and PCB`s (Polychlorinated biphenyls) that the F.D.A., the American Food and Drug agency strongly recommended that pregnant women should never eat it and other people should eat it not more than once a month!
Fishmeal has always had two very dangerous chemicals - ethoxyquin and E321 BHT Butylated Hydroxytoluene - added to it. Ethoxyquin is added as a fire preventative chemical to prevent the fishmeal from spontaneously igniting and is a proven cancer-causing agent. It is law in many countries - such as in the EU - that ethoxyquin must be added to fishmeal as the risk of fire is so great. BHT is added as a chemical used to prevent the meal from going rancid.Both of these chemicals enter the flesh of the farmed fish that consumes the fishmeal containing it. Both of these chemicals have very dangerous health effects – see the E-number guide.
All farmed fish are also fed antibiotics, because the water in the enclosures is so terribly filthy with fish waste.
Dangerous anti-bacterial chemicals are also sprayed into the water where fish are farmed to prevent disease. These anti-bacterial agents and antibiotics always end up as residues in the fish. Farmed salmon are also always fed fishmeal that contains a dangerous coloring, which makes the farmed salmon flesh a totally unnatural bright orange color. (See E161g Canthaxanthin in the E-number guide). Farmed salmon etc. have actually been dyed orange!
Just compare the color of the flesh of a wild salmon to one that has been farmed and you will be shocked at the difference in color. Some people who own fish farms actually claim that this color comes from feeding their fish shrimp!
When buying wild Pacific salmon or any fish that is frozen, buy them only as loosely packed in a bag and not as vacuum packed frozen filet pieces and not in a carton where they are tightly wrapped in soft plastic inside the carton. This is because the fat in the salmon (and the fat in cheese-see “Organic Dairy Products” and the blood in meat - see “Organic Meat and Wild Meat” and the water and juice etc. in plastic bottles etc.) all leach out dangerous chemicals such as adipates, phthalates, plasticizers and softeners from the plastic into the fish, cheese, or meat, water and juice etc.
Wild Pacific salmon can be Pink salmon, Chum or Keta salmon, Sockeye or Red salmon, Coho or Silver salmon, and Chinook or King salmon, but the most common variety is Pink and Chum or Keta salmon. The label however must always state wild Pacific salmon. Wild Pacific salmon, although rich in healthy fats, contains the lowest amount of mercury, PCB’s and other contaminants of all the fish tested by the United States government.
This is because the waters off the west coast of Canada and Alaska are very much less polluted than the terribly polluted areas stated earlier As stated earlier – do not buy any food in cans or in tins because of the dangers of BPA and BPS etc.(Frozen whole (headless) wild Pacific Pink salmon is packed by Lobster Seafood Sweden AB and is widely available in Sweden and loosely packed frozen pieces are sold in Picard food stores in Sweden.)
Wild Pacific salmon when compared to farmed salmon was found to contain almost twice the amount of EPA and DHA. The bones in salmon (and of any fish or animal) are also a rich source of calcium and other minerals. Wild scallops and Arctic shrimps coming from the waters in the Arctic, not the North Sea, were also found to be extremely low in mercury and other contaminants (contrary to what many “health food writers” state) but are low in EPA and DHA.
Non-fatty fish are very low in EPA and DHA but if you choose to eat them make sure that they are wild not farmed and come from the cleaner waters of:
+ Alaska-such as Rock Sole ( Stillahavsspätta in Swedish)and Alaska Pollock,Alaska Pollock is the name of the fish but it is found across the Pacific including the heavily polluted Asian coast.Make sure that the Alaska Pollock you buy only comes from off the coast of Alaska! Ask the company if the origin is not stated on the package !
+ the Arctic Ocean
+ the Barents Sea
Do not choose fish that comes from the:
- Baltic Sea
- North Sea
- Eastern coast of the United States
- Gulf of Mexico
- North and middle Atlantic oceans (because of the extremely polluted Gulf Stream)
All the following fish have been found to contain very high levels of extremely dangerous environmental pollutants such as mercury, dioxins, and PCB`s (Polychlorinated biphenyls) etc. and should not be eaten or at least eaten as little as possible /Note: Pregnant women must always avoid eating the following fish!/:
- Herring (Sill in Swedish)
- Tilefish (Sandborre)
- Tuna-all species
- Whale meat
- Wild salmon from the Baltic Sea and the North Sea
- All fish from the Baltic Sea and the North Sea
The EU actually wanted to ban the fishing of all fatty fish in the Baltic Sea due to the tremendously high levels of mercury, dioxin and PCB’s etc. found in these fish but due to the protests of Finland, Poland and Sweden, finally gave in and still allowed it but completely forbid the export of these fish to the other nations in the EU!
To find out more about mercury in seafood and what amount of a certain species of fish you can eat per week go to: www.gotmercury.com although be aware that all medical researchers state that you should keep to a diet that is as low as possible in mercury. /Note: Be aware that this site does not show the levels of other extremely dangerous pollutants such as dioxins and PCB`s etc.
The site: www.whfoods.com also has a few excellent articles on the purely factual objective information regarding mercury in seafood and the environment and how to avoid it etc. but I could not disagree more strongly about their subjective recommendation of pregnant women eating a limited amount of tuna per week and their listing of tuna and halibut as two of the world`s healthiest foods! See the note regarding this site in the section: “Nutritional Information”.
As mentioned before, all farmed fish-including: salmon, catfish, char, cod, trout tilapia, niltilpia and pangasius etc. are always given antibiotics etc. because of the cramped and terribly filthy and unhygienic conditions under which the fish live under in their enclosures. Anti-bacterial chemicals are also always added to the water which also ends up in the fish. Farmed fish are often given growth hormones as well.
Frozen wild Pacific salmon is often marked “Product of China” on the package. These fish are not caught in Chinese coastal waters! Chinese boats fishing in international waters off the Western Canadian and Alaska coastlines as well as in other areas often catch the fish and pack it onboard, or in China, and therefore it must be declared as a product of China on the package.
Fish oil and Krill Oil Supplements
Krill is a short lived tiny shrimp - like creature that is at the very bottom of the food chain (it does not eat other fish etc. to survive but eats only plankton) and comes from the very clean waters of the Antarctic, so it is an uncontaminated food and does not have to be “cleaned” of its dioxin, PCB and heavy metal residues etc. the way all fish oils do.
This “cleaning” is done one of two ways. Most companies use a simple oil refining method which lowers the contaminant levels to governmental standards - which I feel is still extremely high given how extremely dangerous these contaminants are to our health.
The other method which is must more expensive is called molecular distillation, which results in a far more “cleaner” product with far greater lower levels of contaminants. Both methods can use solvents. The solvent can be a safe solvent which can be removed afterwards such as alcohol or a highly dangerous solvent such as hexane.
Hexane has been proven to cause birth defects, DNA damage and cancer and can never be completely removed.
If you take a fish oil supplement, ask the producers (not your local health food store) how the fish has been cleaned and which solvent was used and get them to mail you the answer in a letter. As said many times before, always remember that a letter is a legal document and an e-mail or telephone conversation are not.
Keep krill oil at room temperature in a dark area. Do not freeze krill oil or keep it in the fridge as this can lower its medical effect. Fish oil products should be kept in the fridge.
If you swallow the fish oil capsules, or krill oil capsules, or take any capsules of any kind gelatin-, fish gelatin, or vegetarian - get it also in writing from the producer if any preservatives or if any additives are in the capsules and if the capsules are hexane free or not. You could also cut a corner of the capsule and squeeze or suck out the contents. The additives in any kind of capsule do not have to be legally listed. (See point number three in the section: “Supplement Recommendations”).
Note: Do not take a fish oil or krill oil supplement if you:
- are about to undergo surgery
- are taking as anti-coagulant such as Warfarin (Coumadin)
- have a blood coagulation disorder
Both these products have natural blood thinning effects. If you are allergic to shellfish, do not take krill oil.
Organic Dairy Products
Organic butter cheese and milk are also healthy fat sources (as long as you are not allergic to them or intolerant of them). See the section: “Food Allergies”. Once again, please see the excellent information on organic dairy products at www.westonprice.org. See also my note about this site at the beginning of the “Healthy Fats” section.
Both butter and cheese also suffer from the same “plastic problem” as fatty fish and bloody and / or fatty meats.
The fat in the butter, cheese and meats (and the blood in meats) will leach out dangerous chemicals from plastic such as adipates, plasticizers phthalates, and softeners etc. into the food.
Note 1: “Cling film” or the soft thin plastic, which freshly cut cheese is usually packed in, is the most dangerous kind of food plastic and leaches out the most chemicals of all food plastics. “Cling film” is extremely dangerous to your health! Never use it, and never eat any part of the cheese, fatty fish, or meat having been in contact with it - even if the food is organic!
The same is true for cheese paper which either has a plastic inner layer or has an inner layer treated with unhealthy paraffin wax- see E905 in the E- number guide.
Ask the personal at the cheese counter to machine cut your organic cheese so it can be packed in slices, or to buy it already sliced in a pack, so that you only have to throw away the first and the last pieces- which are the only pieces having contact with the plastic -and then store the rest in a glass container. The best thing to do of course is to bring your own glass container and put the cheese in it after cutting.
Some cheeses cannot be machine cut and if you must eat organic cheese that is wrapped in any kind of plastic, make sure you cut off at least 3 slices of the cheese from every side before eating. Try to find to find organic cheese that is not vacuumed packed but is “bubble” packed in plastic ( plastic wrapping that has had extra air added ) so there is less contact with the plastic.
Packaged organic butter should be unwrapped and “cleaned” in the same way as cheese and stored in a glass container.
Unfortunately, organic cheeses are also often coated in paraffin wax. (See E905 in the E- number guide.)
Do not eat the cheese down to the paraffin level but stop well before you get to it, or cut it away at the very beginning before you start eating the cheese.
Note: Pregnant women must never eat any cheese made from raw milk or drink raw milk because of the danger of listeria. Listeria is a bacterium which can cause birth defects and can be found in raw milk, and all products made with it.
When buying a piece of organic cheese that must be cut from a larger piece insist that a new clean knife be used and that the cut is made from the bottom up, by turning the cheese upside down. Printed labels are often on the top of the cheese and when the knife cuts through this label the print and paper then enters the cheese.
Throw away the first couple of slices from the old open side in case it was “normally” cut by cutting through the label. Note also that this is also an excellent way to experience the real taste of that particular cheese sort.
A previously used knife will always transfer the flavor of the previously cut cheese (or cheeses!) as well as any print and paper residues from cutting through the last cheese into the piece of cheese that you are buying.
Organic eggs also provide healthy fats. It is wrong to believe that eggs cause cardiovascular disease because they raise cholesterol levels. Eggs, just as coconut oil, only raise the level of “good” cholesterol –high density cholesterol (HDL) and not the level of “bad” cholesterol –low density cholesterol ((LDL.)
Note 1: Make sure that the eggs, even if they are certified organic, have not been fed with fishmeal or meal from mussels, which some organic standards allow. This is also often the case with the organic chickens that you eat as well as with the chickens that are only used for producing organic eggs.
Fishmeal and mussels always contain high levels of dioxins, mercury, PCP´s and heavy metals. Fishmeal and mussel meal virtually always have two very dangerous chemicals-ethoxyquin and E321 BHT Butylated Hydroxytoluene added to them.
Ethoxyquin is added as a fire preventative chemical to prevent the fishmeal and mussel meal from spontaneously igniting and is a proven cancer-causing agent. It is law in many countries -such as in the EU- that ethoxyquin must be added to fishmeal as the risk of fire is so great.
BHT is added as a chemical to prevent the meal from going rancid. Both of these chemicals enter the egg and the chicken flesh of the chickens that consume them. Both of these chemicals have very dangerous health effects –see the E-number guide.
Chickens can easily get all the protein they need from a mixture of organic beans, peas, seeds and grains.
Farmers just use fishmeal and/or mussel meal because it is cheaper.
Note 2: Please note that not all organic eggs are fertile.
If an egg is fertile there will be a small red brownish dot on the yolk.
Note 3: All non- organic chicken, both egg layers and “meat” chickens, (as well as all non-organic beef cattle, cows, goats, pigs, sheep and turkeys etc.) are fed with a feed containing at least one if not more of the following: GMO (Genetically Modified) soya beans, GMO corn, GMO cottonseed oil , or GMO rapeseed oil.
Over 72 % of the world`s non-organic soybean crop is GMO (over 90% of the American soya bean crop is GMO) and Brazil which allows pesticides such as lindane and paraquat etc. that are forbidden in Europe, is the world’s second biggest producer of soya beans.
For more information on the dangers of GMO crops see the Section: “Genetically Modified (GMO) Foods.” Antibiotics and growth hormones are also fed to non-organic chickens. All these end up in the egg and in the chicken meat.
Note 4: Never eat raw eggs, even if organic! Many “health food experts” recommend eating raw eggs. Raw eggs can contain E.coli bacteria and/or salmonella both of which can be fatal. In addition, raw egg whites contain avidin which blocks the absorption of biotin (an important nutrient) and contains conalbumin which blocks the absorption of iron.
Note 5: Virtually all individual eggs have a date marked on them. Be careful when breaking the egg shell so that the loose egg does not run over this industrial dye.
Organic Meat and Wild Meat
Organic meats and wild meats can also provide a source of healthy fat and protein etc. for the non -vegetarian.
Note 1: Make sure that the organic or wild meat:
- has not been aged in vacuum packed plastic.
- is not vacuum packed in plastic when for sale.
- is lying on a sheet of paper inside the package and not laying directly on the plastic package.
As mentioned many times before, the blood and the fat in the meat leach out dangerous chemicals from the plastic into the meat if the meat has ever been packed in plastic.
Dangerous chemicals are also leached out from the plastic package if the meat is laying directly on it.
Only buy organic or wild meat if it is lying on a paper sheet in the package and rinse it well under running water before cooking to help remove any chemicals that could have come- from the paper. In some countries the consumers bring their own container, stainless steel or glass, to have the meat put in if the meat is bought fresh and not packed. If you eat wild meat please be aware that some “wild” meat is actually farmed meat.
Deer in many countries such as New Zeeland etc. are actually kept “wild” in large fenced natural forest areas and are fed with normal pesticide sprayed grains with the pesticides of course ending up concentrating in the meat. Reindeer in Scandinavia are also “fattened” up with normal grain before being slaughtered. Reindeer meat also contains high amounts of dangerous cesium because they eat plants that are extremely high in cesium such as lichens etc. Meat from wild birds, moose meat and inspected wild pig meat are much healthier.
Note 2: Never eat any wild pig meat or any pig meat which has not been governmentally inspected for parasites! All pig meat can contain parasites such as trichinosis which can be fatal. Always thoroughly cook any kind of pig meat, domesticated and wild, until it is no longer pink, regardless of what certain “master chefs” might say and write. All meat including beef and lamb etc. should be cooked until it is no longer pink to avoid all possibilities of parasitic and bacterial infections.
Beef tartar, and blue and rare cooked steaks -even if organic-are an invitation to bacterial and/or parasitic infections.
Freezing will not kill all of the parasites found in meat.
Herbs and Spices
Virtually all herbs and spices are healthy for you but limit your consumption of black pepper because it is very irritating to the stomach. Black pepper and (healthy) fat or oil helps the body to absorb the extremely valuable phytonutrients that are found in turmeric, such as the curcumoids, which have been shown to help prevent cancer etc. Use only a “touch “of black pepper when using turmeric.
Note: No country worldwide forbids the irradiation of herbs and spices and as a result most non-organic herbs and spices are irradiated. Try to use only organic herb and spices. Organic food is not allowed to be irradiated.
The herbs and spices which are extremely healthy with proven medical effects (see www. whfoods.com and see the note about this site in the “Nutritional Information about Foods” section) include:
- (True) cinnamon (See the article: “Cinnamon vs. Cassia”)
- Garlic - If you are worried about “garlic breath”, chew some fresh parsley or chew some anise seeds after eating garlic.
Cinnamon vs. Cassia
Note 1: Although cinnamon is an extremely healthy spice, almost all of what is packaged and sold as cinnamon is actually not cinnamon but is actually another related spice named Cassia or a mixture of both. This is because that Cassia is much cheaper than true cinnamon. This is legally allowed in most countries including the EU and the United States.
Note 2: Cassia is dangerous to your health because it contains very high amounts of a proven cancer causing natural substance called coumarin. Cassia is so dangerous to your health that it was even forbidden in Germany for many years until the EU forced Germany to allow it.
When tested for coumarin, true cinnamon has been found to be either coumarin free or has been found to contain only trace amounts of it. Cassia is much sweeter and is much stronger in flavor than cinnamon. True cinnamon has a wonderful slightly peppery delicate spicy flavor which most people have never tasted.
If buying ground up cinnamon look for the Latin names of Cinnamomum Verum (which translates into: “True Cinnamon”) or Cinnamomum Zeylanicum (which translates into “Cinnamon from Ceylon”- which is the old name for the country of Sri Lanka) on the package. These 2 names are the only Latin names for true cinnamon, regardless of what spice companies might say.
Sri Lanka is the biggest producer of true cinnamon. Organic and Fair Trade cinnamon coming from Sri Lanka is also available.
Note 3: The only true cinnamon that I have found in Scandinavia is the organic and Fair-Trade cinnamon sold by the companies Greenfield farm and Urtekram and the organic cinnamon sold by the company Spicemaster. They are usually available in health food stores and stores having Fair Trade products.
I have absolutely no connection to these companies or to any company listed in this book.
The different varieties of Cassia are known in Latin as:
- Cinnamomum Aromaticum
- Cinnamomum Burmanii
- Cinnamomum Cassia
- Cinnamomum Loureiroi
Over 80% of the world`s supply of cassia comes from Indonesia and China. If you buy cinnamon sticks, known as quills, true cinnamon quills will be curled in a telescopic form and are brittle and thin, while cassia quills will be curled inward from both sides like a scroll and are both much harder and thicker.
Herb and Spice Warnings
- Avoid eating large amounts of cayenne, cinnamon, garlic and ginger (and taking supplements of them) if about to undergo any surgery as they all have anti-blood clotting effects.
- If you suffer from low blood pressure you should avoid garlic and garlic supplements, as garlic and garlic supplements can lower blood pressure. If you suffer from high blood pressure you should eat as much garlic as possible!
- Oregano blocks the absorption of iron by the body.
- Rose pepper is not related to black pepper or white pepper (which is black pepper with the black “skin” taken off.
- If you suffer from any kind of liver and/or kidney disorder you must avoid saffron.
- You must also avoid saffron also if you are pregnant.
Rose Pepper is a totally different species than black or white pepper. Rose pepper has caused:
- Chest pains
- Sore throats
80% of all headaches are estimated to be caused by dehydration, not stress. If you have a headache, drink three glasses of cool water and if possible lay down in a dark cool room with a light cotton sheet over you and the window slightly open for fresh air. Do not just reach automatically for a painkiller. See the section: “Quick Headache and Tired Cure.”
Note 1: If you have only unfiltered tap water to drink, always let the water run as powerful as possible for a few minutes-at least 3 minutes- before drinking the water to avoid drinking the water that might have been in plastic pipes or old pipes for a while. This is especially exremely important in the morning!
A 2011 study by the Swedish government showed that over one-third of all water faucets released more than the allowable limit for lead.
All chrome plated faucets-which is virtually the only type sold- are made with a metal mixture that includes lead. After running the water powerfully for a minimum of 3 minutes the lead was reduced to allowable limits-although lead is highly dangerous at any level. If possible buy 100% stainless steel faucets.
Although fluoride is banned in all E.U countries except Ireland, some other countries such as Canada and the United States still add fluoride to their water supply.
Fluoride is a deadly poison and there is a tremendous amount of valid scientific information on the net about just how dangerous it is - See the excellent site: www.nofluoride.com
Normal tap water always contains natural organic matter such as tiny amounts of decaying vegetation. Chlorine which is used to disinfect tap water reacts with this natural matter and creates DMP`s, or disinfection by-products. Chief among these are THMS-Tri-halomethanes and VOC- Volatile organic compounds.
THMS-Tri-halomethanes have been shown to:
- trigger the production of free radicals in the body
- cause cancer
- VOC-Volatile organic compounds have been shown to:
- lead to central nervous system depression and drowsiness
- irritate the skin and mucous membranes.
Industrial chemicals and pesticides can also be present in tap water. All of these chemicals can be removed by using an inexpensive activated charcoal filter (make sure that the activated charcoal filter does not contain any silver compounds in it) or by using a reverse osmosis system.
These silver compounds always enter the water and are dangerous to your health. If unsure if silver compounds are in a product or not, ask the manufacturer to reply to you in a letter. As stated many times before, a letter is a legal document, whereas a telephone call or an e-mail is not.
Activated charcoal filters come in two types, granular and block. The block is superior to the granular in removing more pollutants from the water. This is because the loose material in the granular filter forms channels which allow the water to run through it without getting completely filtered.
The block activated charcoal filter consists of compressed carbon so water channels cannot be formed. The block activated charcoal filter lasts longer than the granular filter as well.
Note: The widely sold activated charcoal filters that are often sold together as a set together with a plastic pitcher container remove only one-half the pollutants after only 90 liters of water. I also am against drinking any liquid, and eating any food, from any kind of plastic container because of the dangerous chemicals that always leaches out from all plastics into the liquid and food.
Water is an excellent solvent for leaching out chemicals and acts just like the blood and the fat in meats and the fat in cheese and fatty fish mentioned earlier in leaching out dangerous chemicals from plastics.
Note: In many reverse osmosis systems the membranes are preserved with formaldehyde, which is very dangerous to your health. Make sure that if you buy one that it is formaldehyde and plastic free. For information on the dangerous effects of formaldehyde see the section: “Carpets and Rugs.”
The problem of water pollutants also occurs when taking showers or baths because they are also absorbed through our skin. “For a normal adult, taking a fifteen –minute bath can be equal to drinking a liter of the same water, a twenty-five kg. child can absorb up to ten times as much contamination from swimming in a pool for an hour as from drinking a liter of water.” Source: “Home Sweet Home” by Debra Lynn Dadd, pg.134.
See the section: “A Healthy Home and Work Environment”
A good inexpensive investment would be a simple screw- on charcoal filter for your shower head but make sure it does not contain any silver compounds in it.
The EPA, the Environmental Protection Association of the American government, has declared that chloroform, which is a THM released from hot running shower water, is a major source of indoor air pollution.
Note: Always have the bathroom fan on or a window or door open, when taking a hot shower or a bath to avoid breathing in chloroform fumes and if taking a bath enter the bath after the bathtub is filled.
Chloroform is found in the water of course as well as in the fumes and can cause liver and kidney damage, central nervous system depression and is a suspected cancer-causing agent.( Source: IBID.)
Parents should seriously consider the two points of the absorption of dangerous water pollutants through the skin and of the danger of chlorine fumes when considering taking their children (and themselves!) to public pools which literally “stink” of chlorine.
See the excellent site: www.ewg.org for extremely important information on water filters and the reliability of the companies that make them and to find out about which water filters have been governmentally approved.
Both by letting your drinking water “sit” overnight in a glass container or by boiling it for five minutes (in a glass or stainless steel pot or canister-see the section: “Healthy Kitchen and Cooking Supplies”) before drinking it will at least get rid of the chlorine in your drinking water but will not get rid of DMP`s. If unsure about the safety of your water have it tested for not only bacterial content but for also heavy metals and pesticides etc.
Note 1: All bottled water is much less controlled for dangerous environmental pollutants than governmentally controlled tap water.
Note 2: Never drink any water from any plastic bottle, whether the water is in normal store bought plastic bottles or from special “sport” bottles etc. that are especially made for cyclists and joggers etc.
Only drink water, or any liquid, if it is glass or unlined stainless steel bottles to avoid consuming BPA and BPS etc. (See the section: “BPA, BPS and Phthalates”)
Note 3: Make sure you drink at least four glasses of water per day, in addition to your normal fluid intake. This helps the liver and the kidneys to flush out toxins from the body. Your urine should always be a light yellow not a dark yellow in color. If you take vitamins please note that some of the B-vitamins can discolor the urine making it a bright yellow.
Note 4: If there is blood in your urine (or feces) go see your doctor immediately for an examination. If you are always thirsty all the time no matter how much you drink, go see your doctor also. It could be a sign of early diabetes.
If you have strong smelling urine it is also worth seeing your doctor, although it could be caused by not drinking enough water. The caffeine found in coffee, tea and colas etc. can also cause a strong smelling urine (and / or sweat), if your body has a hard time to break down the caffeine and/or if you are caffeine sensitive.
2. Decrease The Amount Of Unhealthy Food Eaten
Avoid All Food Additives and Flavors
See: Information On Food Additives If difficult- simply search for: Information On Food Additives by Roy Firus
“The sugar-laden American and European diets have led to a national epidemic of irrational behavior, emotional instability, distorted judgment and dangerous personality defects” - Drs. Cherskin M.D. and Ringdorf M.D. Alabama University, USA.
“The best way to deal with diabetes is to prevent it and the best way to prevent it is to reduce sugar consumption” - Dr. Fredrik Banting M.D. Dr. Frederick Banting won the Nobel Prize in Medicine for his discovery of insulin.
There has been a 65% increase in the increase of diabetes in the western world over the past 40 years.
From approximately 1 kg. per person per year in the year 1700, to approximately 4 kg. per person per year in the year 1850, the average North American and European now eats over 60 kg of sugar per person per year; 70% of this is hidden in the processed foods you eat and drink.
Start reading the ingredients of the food you buy! Opposite to what the “(un) health food” industry would like you to believe, all raw sugars are exactly as unhealthy and have exactly the same effects in our bodies as “normal” white sugar; this includes (even organic):
- Barbados molasses
- Barbados sugar
- Barley malt
- Brown rice syrup
- Concentrated grape juice
- Coconut sugar
- Corn syrup (and HFCS High Fructose Corn Syrup) are virtually always made from GMO corn. See: “Genetically Modified (GMO) Foods”
- Demara sugar
- Evaporated cane juice
- Invert sugar
- Muscavado sugar
- Palm sugar
- Rapadura sugar
- Raw sugar
- Raw cane sugar
- Sucanat sugar
- Syrema sugar
- Turnibado sugar
- Rice malt
- Rice syrup
- Sugar beet syrup etc.etc.
Note 1: None of these products are “rich in minerals”, as so often is claimed by the “(un) health food” products containing them. If you check the mineral content of these sugars they are always low and are always listed per 100 grams! It would be very hard to eat 100 grams of any of the above mentioned products!
The only sugar product that provides a good source of some minerals such as copper, iron and manganese is blackstrap molasses.
“Health food stores” are full of (often organic) baked goods, breads, breakfast cereals, cakes, candies, cookies deserts granolas, health bars, mueslis, and puddings etc. that are packed full of these above listed sugars. All the above sugars and white sugar are immediately broken down to glucose, which immediately causes a rapid glucose level rise in the blood.
The pancreas then reacts by dumping insulin into the bloodstream to lower this level, causing a rapid fall. If it falls too rapidly the adrenal glands then release hormones to provide for the rapid breakdown of stored glucose to raise glucose levels again.
This is known as the “rollercoaster effect.” It is also caused by refined grains such as white flour, white rice, rice flour, peeled mashed potatoes, instant potatoes, sifted rye flour, corn starch, potato starch, and rice starch etc. and any food that has had the fiber removed. Puffed crackers, such as brown rice crackers etc., even if they are made from the whole grain including the fiber, also create the same effect in the body, due to the molecular structure of the puffed grain.
Many people spend the whole day getting “sugar fixes” or “caffeine fixes” and “tobacco fixes” to get over the horrible feelings of extreme mental and physical tiredness caused by low blood sugar (which is actually glucose) and this roller – coaster effect.
White sugar or sucrose and all raw “sugars” consist of one molecule of glucose together with one molecule of fructose.
Note 2: This effect is one of the main reasons for the “disruptive” behavior and “temper tantrums “in children. Parents must stop giving their children high amounts of sugars (and cola drinks containing caffeine etc.) as well as candies containing artificial colors and flavors in candies and treats etc. and then punishing their children for “bad behavior!”
All of the above have been proven to cause “bad behavior” such as anger and rage as well as crying spells, depression and even severe depression to the point of suicide etc - See also the section: “Food Allergies and Food Intolerances.”
This endless cycle of the rollercoaster effect eventually destroys your pancreas and adrenal glands etc. and causes many behavioral, mental, and physical health disorders.
All of these sugars greatly compromise our immune system. They do this by causing a drastic decrease in the activity of white blood cells which destroy bacteria, viruses, and cancer cells etc. This makes any existing health disorder worse and open up the body to new ones.
Note 3: If suffering from any physical and/ or mental disease or sickness, all sugars and refined grains etc. must be strictly avoided!
Note 4: Do not become an “organic health food sugar junkie” by:
- eating large amounts of organic dried fruit that has not been soaked in water overnight,
- drinking organic undiluted fruit juice and undiluted carrot juice, (always dilute them one third with water to lower their extremely high “natural” sugar content)
- eating large amounts of organic honey, organic maple syrup and organic blackstrap molasses.
- eating the before mentioned sugars on the list and refined grains even if they are organic. If you do, you will suffer the same dangerous health effects as if you only ate large amounts of white sugar.
Virtually everyone loves the taste of maple syrup, but always remember that it is extremely concentrated. It takes 45 liters of maple tree “sap” boiled down to make 1 liter of maple syrup! Unlike the other sugars, maple syrup does contain some phytonutrients (phenols) but because of its high sugar content it should be used sparingly.
Note: Only buy certified organic maple syrup. Although maple trees are not sprayed directly with pesticides the area around them can be. This is forbidden to be done with the maple trees that produce organic maple syrup.
Defoaming agents are always used in making non-organic maple syrup. In non- organic maple syrup, these can be dangerous chemicals such as Mono and diglycerides E471, Propylene Glycol E1520 and Propyl Gallate E310. (See the E-number guide.)
Note: These additives are legally defined as “processing aids” and not food additives –although they stay in the maple syrup and are consumed- so they do not have to be written as ingredients on the label and never are.
- Pig fat or lard
- Beef fat
- Non-organic GMO vegetable oils such as canola (rapeseed) oil or soya oil
- Non-organic milk and butter
All of these defoamers of course stay in the maple syrup and are also legally defined as processing aids so they also do not have to be written as ingredients on the label and never are. Many producers of organic maple syrup use no defoamers but if they do use defoamers only organic defoamers such as organic milk, organic butter or organic vegetable oil are allowed.
When the Sugar Bug bites
- Drink 3 glasses of cool water. Dehydration can often cause a desire to eat something sweet.
- Eat some ( organic) food that is high in protein and/or healthy fat, such as a handful of raw unroasted and unsalted almonds, or sunflower seeds etc. or a sandwich made of whole grain bread with almond butter, sunflower butter, cheese, or eggs etc. The craving for sugar, especially in vegans and vegetarians, is often a craving for protein and /or fat and can often hide anemia –a lack of iron –in vegan and vegetarian women.
- Eat some whole fresh nutritious (organic) fruit and eat it at room temperature as coldness decreases the sweet taste sensation.
- Small amounts (1 teaspoon) of: packed in glass and not in plastic, organic honey, raw and unpasteurized if possible. Note: Never give any kind of honey to any babies under one year old because of the danger of infant botulism. If you are allergic to pollen or royal jelly, you should avoid honey also.
- organic maple syrup
- organic blackstrap molasses can be used as a healthy sweetener, but do not become a health food “Honey–Maple Syrup-Blackstrap Molasses Addict!”
Although all these 3 sweeteners have exactly the same effect on the body as the “sugars” mentioned earlier, raw unpasteurized organic honey and organic maple syrup do contain some phytonutrients and I am convinced contain even more phytonutrients and health benefits yet to be discovered. As mentioned earlier, organic blackstrap molasses is actually a good source of some minerals.
Organic honey means that:
- within the bee´s maximum flying distance then must be only either uncultivated land or organic farms. Bees will go to any nectar sources no matter where they might be. Honey is often discarded because it contains high levels of extremely dangerous contaminants such as lead etc. This is because the nectar sources from which the bees have taken nectar from have been close to highways and industries etc.
- That the bees must make their own comb from beeswax, or that genuine beeswax combs are provided. In non-organic honey production the combs are allowed to be made of dangerous paraffin which then enters the honey. See E 905 in the E- number guide.
- That certain medications allowed for normal bees (which can enter the honey) are not allowed.
(Organic) granulated or grounds up dried dates are an excellent sweetener and are nutritious.
In baking, (organic) dried vanilla powder or freshly scrapped (organic) vanilla from the pods can often replace sweeteners, as can genuine (See the: “Cinnamon vs. Cassia” section) cinnamon powder.
(Organic) apple juice makes an excellent sweetener to bake with, as does very small amounts of (organic) blackstrap molasses, but be aware that blackstrap molasses has an extremely strong taste. Pure stevia is excellent but read the ingredients very carefully! Most stevia products contain artificial sweeteners such as E968 Erytritol and other additives.
Make Your Own Sugar Free Healthy Granola and Muesli
- Try to use only organic ingredients. Make your own granola or muesli by simply combining different combinations of whole grain unsweetened flakes, chopped unsulphured dried apricots, chopped dried prunes that have not been treated with E200 Sorbic Acid etc. and adding a dash of genuine cinnamon powder and/ or dried vanilla powder.
- Place on a stainless steel or glass tray (never use Teflon, silicone, plastic or any non-stick cookware or bake ware for any purpose !) and bake on low for 15 minutes.
- After baking, add whole raw unroasted, unsalted almonds and raw unroasted and unsalted sunflower seeds etc. and you´ve got a very nutritious and delicious breakfast meal especially when combined with organic: milk, kefir or yoghurt and some raw organic fruit.
This granola is also an excellent food to take when hiking or camping.
Note 1: I do not recommend soymilk or any unfermented soya bean product, whether it be organic or not. For more information on this subject please see the excellent articles: “Myths and Truths about Soy” and “Soya Alert” on the site: www.westonprice.org.
Note that I do not agree with all of the dietary recommendations that this site presents - which can easily be noticed when comparing my dietary recommendations with the dietary recommendations on this site.
I do however agree fully with their excellent information and recommendations about healthy fats, their information and recommendations against raps (canola) oil and other oils and their recommendations against unfermented soya products on this site.
This list would include:
- white flour
- white rice
- sifted rye flour. This is rye flour that has had all the fiber (the bran and germ removed) which is why almost all rye breads are very light in color. The word “sifted” does not have to be legally written and is virtually never written on the ingredient list.
- rice flour
- rice starch
Other foods that have the same effect in the body include:
- French fries –see also the section: “Healthy Fats”
- instant potatoes
- mashed peeled potatoes
- potato starch
If you eat potatoes-eat them together with their “skins” to obtain the fiber that is in the potato skins . Do not bake potatoes in aluminum foil.
See E173 in the E-number guide. All of these heavily processed products have the exact same effect as sugars in the body. All of these products are either very low in fiber or contain virtually no fiber at all which means that there is a quick breakdown to glucose within the body with the exact same health destroying effects that sugars cause.
Fiber is extremely important for your health. Fiber is found in whole grain products, beans, vegetables and fruits.
Eggs, fish, milk and milk products and meat do not contain fiber. Fiber is extremely important for the prevention of many medical disorders such as:
- colon cancer
- Crohn`s disease
- IBS- irritable bowel syndrome
- ulcerative colitis
- varicose veins - Source:” Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine" by Dr. Michael Murray N.D. and Dr. Joseph Pizzorno N.D. See the section:” Sources of Information on Healing.”
Refined grain products are also extremely nutritionally poor- even if “enriched” with a few synthetic vitamins – when compared to whole grain foods. There is a tremendous loss of both vitamins and minerals when a whole grain is processed into a refined grain. For example, when whole wheat flour is made into white flour, it has lost:
- 98% of its Manganese
- 95 % --Vitamin E
- 80 % --Vitamin B1
- 80 % --Iron
- 75 % --Vitamin B3
- 75 % --Magnesium
- 70% --Phosphorus
- 50% --Pantothenic Acid
- 50%--Vitamin B6
- 50% --Calcium
- 50% --Potassium
Similar losses occur when wholegrain brown rice is made into white rice, and wholegrain rye flour is made into sifted rye flour.
Try to eat only whole grain foods.
Healthy and Unhealthy Bread
On the first page of the E-number guide, I wrote about processing aids. There are the chemicals that are used in foods but do not have to be legally listed as ingredients, although you do eat them! Bread is a horrible example of this scandal.
Among the many processing aids used to make a non-organic loaf of bread, all of which do not have to legally be written on the label are:
- Baking agents
- Dough conditioners
- Dough “helping” raising agents
- Yeast additives
- Yeast foods and the kind of fat used both in the bread itself and in the bread form and the various preservatives and other chemicals that they contain.
A loaf of non-organic “normal” bread often contains up to 40 undeclared different chemicals contained in the various processing aids used! The problem with processing aids is exactly the same as the problem with food additives.
Since they are tested only on animals we can never be sure of the effect that that they have on humans and the fact that they are always tested separately and are never tested for their combined effects yet are virtually always found in multiple combinations in food products means that we have absolutely no idea of what effect they have on us.
Of course the most important point is that they are totally unnecessary! Humans have been making healthy bread without any processing aids for thousands of years. They are only used to increase profits at the expense of your health!
Virtually all non-organic breads are baked from premixes, which contain all the ingredients and all of these additives. The baker simply has to add water and bake. Very few non-organic types of bread are made from the basic ingredients themselves and even when it is these processing aids are often added and are undeclared on the label. It is both much cheaper and a time saver for the baker to use a prepackaged mix.
Try to buy only organic breads and/ or at least breads that follow these guidelines:
- The bread should not contain any added “sugars” of any kind. The declared sugar content should be not more than 2.5 grams per 100 grams. That would be the maximum amount found in the natural grains. Of course, if the bread contains fruits, nuts or seeds etc. this amount would be higher.
Note: Never trust the sentence: “All sugar added is used by the yeast” This sentence means absolutely nothing legally. The ingredients written in the ingredient list and the maximum amount of 2.0 gram of sugar per 100 grams are what are important. I have seen that sentence and/or the word “unsweetened” written on the label of breads containing up to 8 grams of sugar per 100 grams!
- The bread should not contain any of these dangerous fats all of which contain deadly transfats: (See the “Unhealthy Fats” section)
* hydrogenated fats
* hardened fats
* partially hydrogenated fat
* partially hardened fatt
Avoid also all “unspecified” vegetable fats (these are just listed as “Vegetable Fat” on the ingredient list) and all “unspecified” vegetable oils (these are just listed as “Vegetable oil” on the ingredient list.) Never eat cottonseed oil. (See the section: “Healthy Fats”.)
As written before, bread and all baked goods should only contain healthy saturated fats (fats which are a solid at room temperature) such as organic butter or organic coconut oil, (or organic palm oil, and organic palm kernel oil which are used in large scale organic food production and are not usually sold in small quantities in stores.)
Healthy saturated fats are the only kind of fats that should be used when baking (or frying) because of the very high temperatures that the fat is subjected to. They do not create dangerously unhealthy lipid peroxides and free radicals when subjected to high temperatures.
All liquid vegetable oils, all of which are either monosaturated such as olive oil and rapeseed oil or polyunsaturated such as corn oil, flax seed oil, grape seed oil, peanut oil, rice bran oil, safflower oil, sesame oil, soya bean oil, sunflower oil, wheat germ oil and various nut oils, should never be used because they do create lipid peroxides and free radicals when subjected to high temperatures both during frying and baking and also (except for extra –virgin olive oil) when they were made - See the section “Healthy Fats.
- The bread should ideally contain no white flour or sifted rye flour (once again, the word sifted does not have to be legally used and is almost always never written on the ingredient list) or at least as little as possible. All ingredients have to be legally listed by weight, so always make sure that if your bread contains any white flour or rye flour etc. that it is listed in the ingredient list after the stone ground whole wheat flour, grahams flour, or whole wheat flour or stone ground rye flour or wholegrain rye flour etc.
Note: Please be aware of the totally legal tricks that companies use to fool you that you are actually eating healthy bread when you are not!
Chief among them is to add caramel, malt, malted flour, or molasses etc. to the “white” bread to make it more “dark” looking, so that it looks like it is made from whole grains. Another trick used is to add some whole grains ,whole grain flakes, flax seeds, hemp seeds, poppy seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds or nuts etc. to the outside (and sometimes inside as well) of the “white” bread to make it “appear” more wholesome and healthy. Always read the ingredient list of any food before you buy it! This includes all organic foods as well!
- The bread should not contain any broken, crushed or ground up flax seeds, sunflower seeds, nuts, etc. These products are always old and rancid. Very few, if any, bakeries actually buy these foods in their whole natural state and then crush etc the nuts and the seeds themselves. Even if they are “freshly made” they are then baked with the bread at a very high temperature which makes them unhealthy to eat.
Note: There should be no “burnt” flakes, grains or seeds etc. on the outside of the bread. These “carbonized” foods are very unhealthy and contain cancer-causing substances known as Heterocyclic Amines (HCA`s.) If you eat pizza try to get the pizza without any black color on the bottom or just do not eat the blackened bottom pieces(If you eat barbecued, fried or grilled food, always remove the black burnt parts on the vegetables, corn and meats etc.) See the section: “Healthy Kitchen and Cooking Supplies”
- All sliced breads that are vacuum packed in plastic-including organic breads- have been sliced by a knife dipped in oil or fat. That is why these breads are fatty to the touch. Hopefully this fat or oil is organic if it is organic bread, but asks the producer to reply in writing if it is or not.
The first and last bread pieces-even in organic sliced bread packages- are in contact with the vacuum plastic pack, causing a transfer of dangerous chemicals that are found in the plastic via the oil or fat into the bread and should therefore not be eaten.
Organic crisp breads or dried hard breads are very healthy, because they usually contain no fats, sugars or white flour, but high levels of a dangerous chemical named acrylamide, which is a proven cancer causing agent, are created by some roasting methods, depending on both the temperature and/or the amount of time that the hard bread was baked.
The highest levels of acrylamide are found in potato chips, French fries and coffee. Ask the producer to reply to you in writing what the acrylamide level of their product is. They often do not know-or will “state” that they do not know… See the Swedish Government`s Food Department (Livsmedelverket) website site for the levels found in various brands of crisp bread. This site is shown in English also.
Note: Never eat any crisp bread that has burnt black or dark brown areas on it-as many crisp types of bread do! These black and/or dark brownish areas contain HCA’s (heterocyclic amines.) HCA’s are chemicals created when you “blacken” food, such as when you barbecue food for too long or when food is fried or baked too long at a temperature which is too high. All these “blackened” parts should be cut away and not eaten. These chemicals have been proven to be cancer causing.
- Wheat germ is an excellent food, if you can get it fresh the same day or has been kept in the store cooler or fridge for one week or less and has not been defatted. Defatting wheat germ always involves the use of dangerous chemicals such as hexane-which can never be removed from the food treated with it-and removes most if not all of the vitamin E as well. Wheat germ goes rancid in less than a week at room temperature.
Note: The unrefrigerated wheat germ you buy in stores is always rancid even if it does not taste bad. I do not recommend wheat germ oil as it can only be extracted using high heat (see the section: “Healthy Fats”) and goes rancid even faster than wheat germ. It is often found in Vitamin E capsules so always read the ingredients.
Unhealthy Fats and Oils
Once again avoid all these dangerous kinds of fats previously listed (See the " Healthy Fats and Oils" and the “Healthy and Unhealthy Bread” sections) even if they are organic. All of them contain deadly transfats (trans- fatty acids):
- hydrogenated fats
- hardened fats
- partially hydrogenated fats
- partially hardened fats
Avoid all “unspecified” vegetable fats (these are just listed as “Vegetable Fat” on the ingredient list.) Avoid also all “unspecified” vegetable oils (these are just listed as “Vegetable oil “on the ingredient list. Never eat cottonseed oil. (See the section: “Healthy Fats and Oils.”) Never eat sunflower oil. (See the section: “Healthy Fats and Oils.”)
Transfats are formed when hydrogenating vegetable oils. Hydrogenation means that an extra hydrogen molecule is added to the vegetable oils during the process of cooking them at high temperatures. All small bakeries, take-away foods and restaurants etc. also use the cheapest fats they can find, but do not legally have to list the ingredients. They do so that you do not know what kind of fats or know any of the ingredients that you eating! Ask what kind fats are used and get the reply in writing.
All of the 6 types of extremely unhealthy fats listed above contain transfats which have been directly linked to causing:
- Birth defects
- Breast cancer
- Decreased testosterone levels in men
- Essential fatty acid deficiences
- Heart disease
- Immune suppression
- Increased levels of the harmful type of cholesterol-low density cholesterol ( LDC)
- Low birth weights of infants
- Low quality and volume of breast milk
- Prostate cancer
Reduce Salt Intake
The governmental recommended amount of salt per adult is 1/4 teaspoon per day. All salts are virtually the same, except for the dangerous food additives that they might contain. (See below) None are “rich” in minerals etc.
When the “minerals” found in Himalaya salt and certain sea salts etc. are listed in a nutritional table they are always extremely low and are always listed per 100 grams. But who can eat 100 grams of salt!
Note: Soya sauce and tamari sauce-even if organic- always contain high amounts of PFGA processed free glutamic acid(see E 620 in the E- number guide) that creates the same effect as MSG in the body and should be avoided. People can actually get “addicted” to soya sauce and tamari sauce (and to bouillons etc. and to all foods that contain PFGA’s-see the section “Unhealthy Food Products Found in Health Food Stores”) where it is added to all foods in ever increasing amounts because they feel that nothing tastes good without it.
PFGA’s can also cause impatient or even frenzied eating. This is because of the effect that PFGA’s have on the brain and why they are called excitotoxins. Use flavorful herbs and spices such as the ones mentioned earlier in the healthy food section instead of salt and soya sauce etc.
Organic herbal salt which usually contains at least 20% dried organic herbs can also be used in an effort to reduce salt intake.
Note: Normal salt always contains the dangerous additives E 535, E 536 or E 538 to prevent the salt from clumping. A few grains of rice and shaking will do the same. Buy only salt that contains no additives.
High levels of salt intake have been directly linked as a major factor in the following medical disorders:
- adrenal gland disorders
- colon cancer
- esophagus cancer
- heart disease
- high blood pressure
- kidney disease
- low immune response
- P.M.S (pre-menstrual syndrome)
Note: If suffering from any of the above, you should not only decrease your sodium intake but also try to increase your potassium intake. The foods with the best potassium to sodium ratio are (try to get them organic):
- Bananas 440:1
- Orange 260:1
- Avokados 130:1
- Apple 90:1
- Carrots 75:1
Avoid These Billion Dollar Health Destroyers Even If Organic
ALL Tobacco Products including Snuff (Snus)
ALL Alcohol including Red Wine
All the phytonutrients such as anthocyanins, catechins, flavenoids,and polyphenols such as resveratrol etc. that are found in red wine and that are healthy for you, are also found in the same or even higher amounts in red or blue grapes and their juices and in dark raisins..(Always buy unoiled raisins –read the ingredients.) This is because of the fact that that all of these phytonutrients are found in the dark grape skins.
Many “ (un)health food” authors and even governmental nutritional “experts” recommend one or two glasses of red wine per day, yet they never recommend drinking dark grape juice or eating red or blue grapes or eating dark raisins! This is just another example of how these multi-billion dollar industries are influencing the healthy food movement and governments. Suddenly these health destroying industries that have for a long time hated the healthy food movement are now investing in them and suddenly organic:
- Red wine
- Black tea
- Raw sugars
They are “healthy and good” for you, because they are now organic!
All alcohol is poisonous whether it is organic or not. I am always amazed of the fact that if your best friend drunk a poisonous chemical and started to slur while speaking, see double and not walk straight etc. you of course would rush him or her to the hospital. Yet alcohol does the same, and we think that it is funny!
Alcohol is medically classified as a poison and too much will kill you. When you are drunk, you are medically defined as being poisoned.
Note: If you think that you must have alcohol to have fun, you need help and must get it before you become an alcoholic. You must be able to be satisfied with who you are, and how you talk and act and be able to have fun without alcohol or any drug.
Alcohol consumption has been directly linked to the following diseases and health disorders.
- Brain degeneration
- Cancer of the esophagus, larynx, mouth, pancreas, pharynx and stomach
- Cirrhosis and fatty liver degeneration
- Decreased testosterone levels
- Fetal alcohol syndrome
- Never drink any alcohol while pregnant. Do not drink alcohol while trying to get pregnant, which is important for your partner also.
- Heart disease
- Increased serum and liver triglyceride levels
- Lowered immune response
- Muscle wasting
- Muscle weakness
- Nutritional diseases
- Many psychiatric disorders
- Suicide – 80% of all suicides involve alcohol.
When people write of the “French paradox” that the French eat even more fat including more saturated fats then Americans, yet have much less heart disease, it is often stated that it is because of the red wine they drink. That is only part of the story.
The French government also admits that 1/3 of all hospital beds in France are filled with patients suffering from illnesses that are directly due to alcohol consumption. Red wine is only one of the many factors involved in the French having less heart disease- for example a much higher percentage of the population in America is obese than in France, which is a proven cause of heart disease.
Drink organic dark grape juice (or eat organic dark grapes or organic dark raisins) instead of drinking red wine!
If you insist on drinking red wine, make sure that it is at least organic and has no added sulphur or sulphites E220-E228 added to it.
Black tea ( But Not Green Tea and White Tea)
Drinking black tea has been directly associated with highly increased risks for cancers of the rectum, and of the gallbladder. (See also caffeine in the E- number guide and the information on coffee in the next section.) Green and white teas are much lower in caffeine and are rich in phytonutrients such as flavonoids and polyphenols- especially the catechin polyphenols such as epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG.)
Note: In order for the phytonutrients to be leached out into the boiled water, the tea or herb must be left to steep for at least twenty minutes.
Since all non- organic teas are heavily sprayed with dangerous pesticides that are often forbidden in Western countries and green and white teas still contain a small amount of caffeine, I only recommend drinking organic decaffeinated green or organic decaffeinated white tea. Make sure it is decaffeinated by only using the “Swiss water method” or “water method”, which simply uses water.
If a company uses this method they will always state it on their label. The usual method is to use dangerous solvents such as hexane which always leaves a hexane residue in the tea. Hexane has been proven to cause birth defects, DNA damage and cancer.
Note: Caffeine has been proven to cause birth defects. For this reason only organic decaffeinated teas should be drunk by pregnant women. Coffee, undecaffeinated tea and Mate` tea – which is a tea popular in South America and is very high in caffeine-should never be drunk by pregnant women.
Guarana products -which are all very high in caffeine- should also never be taken by pregnant women. Caffeine also enters the breast milk so caffeine containing products should not be drunk by breastfeeding mothers. For further extremely information on the effects of caffeine please read the section on coffee.
Teabags and Coffee Filters
Both bleached and non-bleached teabags and both coffee filters made of bleached and unbleached paper release dangerous chemicals such as dioxin etc. into the tea. Teabags and coffee filters made from recycled paper still contain many of the dangerous chemicals that were found in the original paper which are then released into the tea or coffee.
Most tea bags and coffee filters are made with a chemical named epichlorohydrin which when coming into contact with water forms 3-MCPD (3-monochloropropane-1, 2-diol or 3-chloro-1, 2- propanediol) a proven cancer causing agent. Teabags are usually heat sealed with a dangerous plastic such as PVC Polyvinyl Chloride etc. which is also released in water.-Teabags can be totally made out of plastic fiber such as PET Polyethylene Terepthalate which is a suspected cancer causing agent which also leaks out into the tea.
Note: This information is also valid for teabags containing herbs -including organic herbs.
Buy organic whole leaf bulk tea (or herbs) and put the tea or herb in a stainless steel tea ball or simply use the whole tea leaves or herb and strain the tea with a stainless steel and not a plastic strainer or use a French press (which is only usually used for coffee) - which is only made of glass and which only has a metal and a not plastic filter and only a metal and not a plastic lid. See the section: “Healthy Kitchen and Cooking Supplies.”
Whole leaf organic tea and herbs are also much cheaper than teabags and since teabags always contain ground up tea leaves or herbs they have already lost much of its flavor.
The tea (and herbs) used in teabags are of inferior quality and with tea consists almost always of fannings, which are the left-overs of the whole leaf teas after they have been packed. Herbal tea made from a whole herbal leaf or flower etc. will always have a greater medicinal effect (and flavor) than herbal tea that is made from a ground up herbal leaf or flower. For information on how to avoid using coffee filters-if you insist on drinking coffee-see the section: “Coffee.”
Artificially and “Naturally” Flavored Teas and Smoked Teas
(See the first page of the E- number guide on the dangers of artificial and “natural” flavors.)
Note: All bulk teas that have a powerful smell have been artificially flavored, regardless of what the people selling that tea might say!
Those few pieces of hibiscus, jasmine or rose petals or any other dried flower or fruit could never ever provide that powerful smell that you notice when you smell the tea! The same is also true for any powerful smelling packaged tea.
The word “natural” on the package means absolutely nothing legally. Always remember that there exists no legal definition for the word “natural.” Smoked tea (and all smoked food- including organic- whether they have been smoked with liquid industrial smoke or “natural smoke”) contains dozens of proven cancer causing chemicals known as Polycyclic Aromatic.
Hydrocarbons (PAH`s) which are found in the smoke and are then transferred to the tea. This is also true with smoke “flavor.”. See also the section: “Healthy Kitchen and Cooking Supplies.”.
Tea is virtually always exported from corrupt countries where there is little if any pesticide control and if it is non-organic is always very heavily sprayed with pesticides that are often forbidden in the EU and North America, which then of course enter the liquid tea when you make it. Never believe the lie that “the farmers are too poor to afford pesticides!” (See the section: “Why Organic?”).
Buy only whole (organic) herbal teas and organic decaffeinated (see above) green or white teas that contain no added “flavor” of any kind (see the E-number guide) and that are not in any kind of teabag. Try also to find them as organic and Fair-Trade.
Note: Fair -Trade does not have anything whatsoever to do with pesticide use and control. A food product such as chocolate, cocoa, coffee and tea etc.-or any food product- can be Fair-trade marked and still could have been sprayed with multiple deadly pesticides. That is why it is extremely important that the food product must be certified as organic as well as Fair – Trade.
Note: Never boil water in plastic kettles. Dangerous chemicals from the plastic are always released into the water. Use only a stainless steel kettle and also be very careful about the teapot you use. Many teapots from third world countries have been found to leak lead from the glaze into the tea.
“The proportion of pancreatic cancer that is potentially due to coffee consumption is slightly more than 50%”.
Dr. Brian Macmohen M.D.
Harvard University, USA
Coffee has been directly linked to causing bladder, pancreatic stomach and urinary cancers.
As well as containing caffeine, coffee contains cancer-causing substances known as Heterocyclic Amines (HCA`s) that are created by the “burning” --although it is called politely called “roasting”- of the coffee bean. If any other food was “roasted” to that degree it would be called burnt.
Note: This is also true of all so-called coffee substitutes and decaffeinated coffee and of course all organic coffees as well.
All coffee and all coffee substitutes are also very high in acrylamide. (See the section: “Unhealthy Breads.”) For other proven effects of coffee see caffeine in the E- number guide.
Do not believe the “coffee trap” set for you by “organic” coffee producers that coffee has many health benefits. The amounts of phytonutrients found in coffee are miniscule when compared to the amount in steamed or slightly woked or stir fried vegetables and in fresh raw fruits.
Note: Caffeine does not cure” tiredness”, it causes it! Caffeine causes the adrenal glands to release stress hormones such as epinephrine and norepineprine. These stress hormones cause your body to go into a “flight or fight” situation, increase your pulse and respiratory rate, increase your blood sugar level, tense your muscles and increases your state of alertness. When this effect passes you are left feeling tired, and in need of caffeine “fix.”
Note: It must be understood that at the same time that your body and mind are tired and telling you that they need rest, by using caffeine you are shocking you body and mind into “overdrive.” Caffeine abuses the adrenal glands and your central nervous system etc. and creates tiredness which then results in more caffeine being taken to overcome this tiredness. You cannot go on abusing your body without paying a price, both mentally and physically. (See the proven effects of caffeine in the E-number guide.)
Caffeine takes 48 hours to completely leave the body. Caffeine causes insomnia and poor sleep. It is a myth that a cup of coffee in the morning will not affect your sleep.
If you drink coffee in the morning it will still affect your night´s sleep in either the quantity and/or the quality of your sleep. Even if you get the required number of hours of sleep, caffeine reduces the amount of extremely important deep sleep (REM) that is the most important kind of sleep that you need. This is in turn leaves you tired and causes you to feel that you must have your morning coffee. This is a viscous and extremely destructive cycle (and is actually a physical addiction-see below) for both your physical and mental health.
Caffeine is a medically documented poison. If you consume too much, you will die. Caffeine addiction is a medical documented fact and is called caffeinism. Stopping caffeine can result in 1 -2 days of headaches and feeling tired but can greatly be helped by drinking eight or more, glasses of water daily (Note : If suffering from any medical disorder ask your doctor before drinking this amount of liquid) and showering twice daily, each time in hot and then cold water.
Please read the suggestions on what to do if you are tired and /or have a headache in the section: “Quick Headache and Tired Cure.”
Caffeine has been proven to cause birth defects. Coffee, undecaffeinated tea and Mate` tea – which is a tea popular in South America and is very high in caffeine-should never be drunk by pregnant women. All guarana products -which is also very high in caffeine- should also never be taken by pregnant women. Caffeine also enters the breast milk so caffeine containing products should not be drunk by breastfeeding mothers.
Caffeine also causes horrible body odor, as your body must detoxify it and excrete it. Caffeine has been proven to put pressure in the optic nerve, resulting in blurred and poor vision. Many people have found that they no longer need glasses, or at least not so powerful ones after giving up caffeine. Once again, read about all the proven effects of caffeine in the E-number guide.
Start listening to your body and mind and give your body and your mind the rest they require when they require it. Give up coffee (and non-decaffeinated tea) and eat a high protein and low sugar meal in the morning and during your coffee break instead.You will sleep better, feel better, and have much more both mental and physical energy then before and feel much more balanced and in control instead of just “speedy”.
As a sign I once saw stated: “Drink more coffee and do and say stupid things quicker.” I am also sure that all your personal relationships- both at home and work-will improve also once caffeine is taken away.
Note: The effect of caffeine in children is much greater than in adults. Many cases of aggressive children, hyperactive children, children with learning difficulties and “difficult” children (once again see the proven effects of caffeine in the E- number guide) can be traced to cola consumption (colas contain as much caffeine as coffee) and other caffeine containing products, as well as to high amounts of sugar in the diet, reactions to food additives –especially colors and flavors, and reactions to food allergies and food intolerances. (See the section: “Food Allergies and Food Intolerances.”)
If you feel that you must have a quick pick-up, choose one of the following standardized herbal products and empty the contents of the capsule under your tongue for quick absorption into the bloodstream:
- Rhodiola Rosea (or Rosenrot in Swedish)
- Panax Ginseng
- Siberian ginseng or (Rysk Rot in Swedish)
- If you do not have a sensitive stomach- a small amount of cayenne mixed in any liquid or food will also give a quick pick up!
Note: Read the section: “Herbal Information and Warnings” and the individual herbal listing for each herb before taking any of these herbs.
Since one of the ingredients used in the making of vegetarian capsules is Sorbitol ( see E 420 in the E- number guide) which is dangerous to your health and gelatin capsules usually contain the dangerous preservatives BHA E320 or BHT E321 and usually contain dangerous hexane as well, the capsules should not be swallowed but just opened with the contents poured under the tongue –where they can be quickly absorbed sublingually, or just swallowed or poured into juice or a smoothie etc.
As mentioned on the first page of the E- number guide, none of these additives have to be legally listed on the label and never are.
Note: If you still insist on drinking coffee after reading all the dangerous health effects caused by it, then at least use only organic, fair trade, light or medium roasted coffee and prepare it only with:
- a French press - which is only made of glass and which only has a metal not a plastic filter and a metal not plastic lid
- an espresso machine that only heats the water in a metal container and not in a plastic container.
Make sure that you look inside the espresso machine-even if you have to unscrew a few screws –to make sure that this is the case. All coffee brewing machines heat the water in a plastic container where dangerous chemicals leach into the water from the plastic and use paper coffee filters that always leach dangerous chemicals into the coffee whether they are made from bleached or unbleached paper.
(See the section: “Teabags and Coffee Filters”)
As with tea, coffee is virtually only exported from corrupt countries where there is little if any pesticide control and where it is always very heavily sprayed with pesticides that are often forbidden in the EU and North America which then of course enter the liquid coffee when you make it. Never believe the lie that “the farmers are too poor to afford pesticides!” (See the section: “Why Organic?”).
If you absolutely insist on drinking coffee only buy organic and Fair-trade coffee and only buy coffee that is light or medium roasted not dark or French roasted to decrease the amount of heterocyclic amines HCA`s) in the coffee.
If you insist on drinking de-caffeinated coffee make sure that it has been de-caffeinated by only using the “Swiss water method” that is described in the black tea section.
Cocoa and Chocolate
The cocoa industry has convinced people that cocoa, cocoa nibs and 70% -100% chocolate etc. are good for your health because they are high in phytonutrients such polyphenols that have antioxidant properties. In cocoa products these are primarily the flavenoids flavonols and epicatechins etc. Chocolate that contains less than 70% cocoa does not contain enough phytonutrients to have a significant medical effect.
Note that these antioxidants are only found in the bitter sections of the processed cocoa bean – the cocoa nibs, the cocoa powder, and the cocoa mass (or cocoa solid), and not in the cocoa butter. Unfortunately this is also where the dangerous mineral cadmium is found also (see below.) Note also that milk and dairy products block the antioxidant of the flavonols etc.
Although it is true, that these three cocoa products are rich in antioxidants ( and as with red wine) the exact same benefits can be obtained from eating other foods that do not have the negative health effects that coca, cocoa nibs and 70% -100% chocolate have.
Other foods that are very high in antioxidants are: blackberries, raspberries, cooked bilberries, blueberries, red (blue) grapes, red (blue) grape juice, prunes, raisins, pomegranates, red cabbage, spinach, kiwi, and broccoli etc.
Cocoa can lower blood pressure etc. but many other foods do also – onions and garlic etc. and without any of the negative effects on your health that cocoa and cocoa products cause.
All cocoa products are very high in oxalic acid (See the section: “Vegetable Warnings”) and except for cocoa nibs-contain a high amount of sugar (even 70% chocolate contains 30% sugar.)
Note: Pure cocoa, cocoa nibs and 70% -100% chocolate are also high in caffeine (and theobromine, which is a stimulant similar to caffeine) and should therefore not be eaten by pregnant women or given to children. Caffeine has been proven to cause birth defects. Breast- feeding mothers should also avoid these products because caffeine also enters the breast milk.
If you feel that you absolutely have to eat chocolate during your pregnancy and/or when you are breast feeding only eat organic milk chocolate without lecithin E322 (unless it is organic lecithin) and only give this same type of chocolate to children if you feel that you must give them chocolate. All non-organic lecithin-whether it is rapeseed (raps), soya, or sunflower seed lecithin –is made with a dangerous chemical called hexane.
Hexane can never be completely removed and has been proven to cause birth defects, DNA damage, and cancer.
(Once again, to read about more of the effects that caffeine has on the body see caffeine in the E-number guide.)
Pure cocoa powder, cocoa nibs and 70% -100% chocolate (even if organic) virtually always contain high levels of dangerous cadmium, which is taken up from the soil where it is found naturally and should be eaten as little as possible.
Although the term “chocoholic” is used as a joke, it is no joking matter, having personally known chocoholics whose addiction to chocolate nearly destroyed their health.
It must be understood that cocoa and chocolate contains certain chemicals which can cause severe physical and/or mental addiction in sensitive individuals which in turn can produce hyperactivity, mania, depression, anxiety, panic attacks, mood swings and mental instability etc. These chemicals include:
- and tryptophan, all of which in chocolate are also combined with a high level of fat and sugar.
Chocolate is often written about as an excellent source of magnesium etc. What they never write about (as with spirulina etc.) is how MUCH you have to take to get a decent amount of that vitamin or mineral. Note that in food charts and food tables that the nutrients are always listed per 100 grams of food. 100 grams of chocolate has about 550 calories or approx 25% of the total calories for the average person.
If you eat chocolate then try to eat only milk chocolate to avoid the dangerous cadmium levels found in dark chocolate.
If you absolutely love dark chocolate then buy only dark chocolate made with cocoa coming from Sao Tome,Panama or India.These three countries have shown to have the lowest cadmium levels in their cocoa among all the cocoa producing countries.
If you ever find yourself “needing it” and feeling mentally and/or physical agitated and irritated if you cannot get it –it is time for you to stop eating it. As with coffee and tea the addiction will pass after 2-3 days. Cocoa is not a “super food” regardless of what the multi- billion dollar cocoa industry states.
Organic and Fair Trade Cocoa and Chocolate
- The cocoa industry in West Africa, the world’s leading cocoa producing area accounts for approx. 50% of the total world production, and enslaves over 280,000 children that live under slave-like conditions working on cocoa plantations. (See the organization Oxfam at: www.oxfam.org for more information). If you must buy chocolate and cocoa products, buy only those that are certified as fair trade and certified as organic to stop this crime!
- All the major cocoa products countries routinely use extremely dangerous pesticides such as hydrogen cyanide, lindane, methyl bromide etc. and even use pesticides such as paraquat that have been forbidden in the EU.Note: As with both coffee and tea, never believe the lie that “the farmers are too poor to afford pesticides!” (See the section: “Why Organic?”) Non-organic chocolate is full of dangerous pesticides. These dangerous pesticides are not only a danger to those people eating products containing them but are especially dangerous to those people working on the cocoa plantations that are exposed to them.
- Organic chocolate is allowed to contain non-organic lecithin (See E322 Lecithin in the E- number guide.). All non-organic lecithin, whether it is rapeseed, soya or sunflower lecithin etc. is made using hexane. Hexane can never be completely removed from a product made with it. Hexane has been proven to cause birth defects, cancer and DNA damage. Non-organic lecithin is allowed to be added to organic chocolate even though organic lecithin-which is not made with hexane-, is easily available! Chocolate can easily be made without using any lecithin-as many companies do-by simply adding a bit more cocoa butter to achieve the same effect. It is simply cheaper to use non-organic lecithin.
- If you insist on eating cocoa and chocolate make sure that it is:
* Fair trade
* Contains either no lecithin or only organic lecithin
* Contains no flavors
Virtually all flavors-including “Natural flavors”- are extracted through the use of dangerous solvents such as hexane and are allowed to contain dangerous additives. (See the first page of the E-number guide).
Buy only food products that use ingredients, such as for example ground up vanilla etc., as flavorings.
This product is often sold as “Brazilian ginseng” but it is not even remotely related to ginseng and unlike ginseng has no medical benefits whatsoever! It is often found “health” food stores in ampoules, tablets, capsules and even foods.
Guarana contains “guaranine” which is 100% the same as caffeine. It is chemically absolutely identical to caffeine.
There is no difference between them whatsoever and the health destroying effects are exactly the same. In fact guarana beans contain much more caffeine than coffee beans.
Kola Nut (Cola Nut) Products
Cola-nuts and cola nut extracts contain a high amount of caffeine Many health food stores sell natural and even organic cola drinks. These drinks almost always contain the dangerous coloring E150a-d although it often simply has “caramel or caramel color” written on the ingredient list (See the E- number guide.).
Mate or Yerba Mate tea
This herb is extremely high in caffeine.
Unhealthy Food Products found in “Health food” Stores
- Health food stores can contain many excellent and healthy foods and supplements, but they can also contain the opposite.
Avoid all of these products even if they are organic:
-Organic baby foods, in both jars and in a dry mix, containing:
- Ferrous gluconate
- Ferrous lactate (iron)
- Ferrous sulphate (iron)
- Ferric pyrophosphate (iron)
- Ferric sodium pyrophosphate (iron)
- Undefined iron-just stating “iron” on the ingredient list
- Undefined zinc-just stating “zinc” on the ingredient list
- Zinc sulphate
For information as to why these kinds of iron and zinc are dangerous to your health, please see the section: “Unhealthy Vitamin, Mineral Herbal and Health Food Supplements”.
Note 1: Some of the varieties of “HIPP” organic baby food and other baby food companies contain yeast extract which has exactly the same effect as monosodium glutamate (See E620 and E621 in the E- number guide) and many of the varieties of Hipp baby foods contain non-organic vegetable oil. Remember that oils and fats always contain the highest concentration of pesticides.
Note 2: Some organic baby foods such as “Semper Flygande Kalle” and “Semper Potatisgratäng” even contain smoked meat! See the information in the section: “Healthy Cookware and Kitchen Supplies” for information as to why all smoked foods are extremely dangerous and even more dangerous for babies because their immune system is not fully developed.
-Avoid all organic baby food and organic food (such as organic tomato paste etc.) that is packed in “squeeze tubes.”
All of these tubes are aluminum lines on the inside. For the dangerous effects of aluminum see E173 in the E number guide.
-Organic black teas and all “flavored” teas-even if they have “Natural Flavor” written on the ingredient list.
Virtually all “natural flavors” (and “natural colors”) are only extracted with the use of dangerous solvents such as hexane which always remain in the flavor and are allowed to contain (undeclared) dangerous preservatives and food additives (See the first page of the E- number guide.).
Safe and healthy flavorings and safe colors would consist of foods such as herbs, spices, and dried food powder such as vanilla powder or dried unsulfured fruit etc. and colors such as blueberry powder, and dried carrots etc. Breakfast cereals, granolas and mueslis that are high in “sugars” and/ or contain sunflower oil (See the sections: “Sugars” and “Unhealthy Fats and Oils”).
-Broken bits, flakes or pieces of organic almonds, cashews, flax seeds, hazelnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds and walnuts etc. These products are always rancid and extremely unhealthy. Buy only whole nuts and seeds and chop them up yourself. Keep all shelled nuts and seeds in the fridge, and tell your store to both display and store them in the cooler also (See the section: “Nut and Seed Warnings.”)
-Organic baked goods such as breads, cakes, chocolates, cookies and desserts etc. containing:
- non-organic lecithin
- sunflower oil
- vegetable oil ( unnamed)
- vegetable fats ( unnamed) (See the sections: “Organic and Fair Trade Chocolate” and “Unhealthy Fats and Oils”)
-Foods containing non-organic lecithin such as such as:
- organic chocolate
- organic margarine and organic baked products containing it
- organic non-dairy substitute milk products and puddings
- organic soya substitute milk products
- organic soya puddings etc.
Non –organic lecithin is also sold by itself as either lecithin granules, lecithin liquid, or in capsules containing lecithin (See the section “Organic and Fair Trade Chocolate”).
- Organic cassia falsely labeled as organic cinnamon (See the section: “Cinnomon vs.Cassia”).
- Organic vegetarian or meat bullion in cubes, powder or liquids.
All of these contain either yeast extract or maltdextrin, both of which have the same effect as MSG Monosodium Glutamate (See E 621 in the E-number guide). See also the last point in this section.
-Organic candies and treats containing “natural” flavors” (see above) and “natural colors” (see above) and organic nuts and organic raisins etc. that are covered in organic chocolate and that also contains unhealthy Guar gum E 412 or Acacia gum ( Gummi arabicum ) E 414 (See the E-number guide).
“Natural colors” and “natural flavors” are always extracted with the use of dangerous chemicals such as hexane which remain in the natural color and natural flavor. Give your children (and yourself!) healthy fresh organic fruit or a mixture of healthy unroasted, unsalted (organic) almonds or sunflower seeds etc. mixed with some (organic) unoiled unsulphured raisins or (organic) unsulphured apricots etc. instead.
-Organic canned: food, drinks, juices, olive oil etc. All tin cans contain liners (most of which are clear so you cannot see them) that contain the deadly chemicals BPA (Bisphenol A) or BPS (Bisphenol S) etc. These dangerous chemicals always leach out into the food and/or liquid (See the section: “Food Packaging”).
Be aware though, that other chemicals are also found in the lining as well and I am sure that they will also be in the news one day. Only eat fresh organic food or organic food that is safely preserved through safe methods such as drying or freezing etc.
-Carrageen containing foods (See E 407 in the E- number guide). Carrageen can be found in organic:
- Non-dairy ice-creams
- Salad dressings
-Soya cheese-for information about the health dangers of all unfermented soya products see point number three in the section: “Nutritional Information about Food.”
- Soya cream substitutes
- Soya deserts
- Soya puddings
- Vegetarian cheese
- Vegetarian cream substitutes
- and in carrageen flakes of course.
-Organic cheese packed in cling “plastic.”(See the section: “Healthy Fats”) Chewing gums containing “Gum base” which legally can cover over 200 undeclared additives (See “Gum Base” in the E- number guide). Ever wonder why chewing gum, even “health food” chewing gums, never rots away and disappears on the sidewalk? One of the reasons is that one of their main ingredients of gum base is synthetic rubber as well as Talc E 553 b etc. (See the E-number guide).
The chemicals and substances that are found in chewing gum are always absorbed sublingually from under your tongue directly into your bloodstream. Organic crisp bread that is full of black burnt spots See the section:” Healthy and Unhealthy Bread”.
-Organic “Energy Drinks” which contain guarana and flavoring. See the section “Guarana” and the first page of the E-number guide.
-Organic flaxseed oil (and capsules) that:
- are not produced without any solvent such as hexane
- are not produced at under 40° c
- are not packed in a dark glass bottles
- are not kept refrigerated
- do not have a well advanced expiry date See the section: “Flax and Flaxseed Oil”.
-Organic foods that are packed in plastic bags that are supposed to be cooked by boiling the plastic bag with the organic food inside it which causes the dangerous chemicals in the plastic such as phthalates etc. to leach into the food. Guarana ampoules, drinks, foods, gum as well as capsules, tablets and liquid supplements etc. containing it.
-Hair analysis tests; hair analysis is totally useless for determining the amount of vitamins and major minerals. The only thing that it can determine are levels of certain heavy metals such as mercury etc. and some trace minerals such as arsenic etc.
-Lemon oil (lemon flavoring) which is found in organic lemon candies, organic lemon flavored baked goods such as cookies, deserts etc. and in concentrated lemon juice. The F.D.A, the Food and Drug Administration of the United States government has determined that lemon oil is a proven cancer-causing substance. Note: Lemon oil is pressed from the peel only. The fruit of the lemon and lemon juice are safe.
-Organic licorice and licorice products containing the dangerous coloring E 153, which is known as vegetable carbon or carbon black. E 153 is often called a “natural color”, (See the E- number guide). E 153 is totally forbidden as a food additive in both Canada and the United States.
-Mate tea, or Yerba mate (See the section: “ Caffeine”). Non-organic herbs and spices. They are virtually always irradiated. No country worldwide forbids the irradiation of herbs and spices
-Non-organic maple syrup (See the section: “Maple Syrup.”)
-Organic meats that are vacuum packed in plastic. As mentioned, before, the blood and the fat in the meat leach out dangerous chemicals from the plastic into the meat. Organic meats that have been aged in vacuum packed plastic. You have to ask the meat company to respond to you in a letter about this. All beef is aged before selling but some companies just might “hang” the beef to age (as they have done for thousands of years). Other meats such as pork are usually not aged.
-Organic chocolate or carob covered nuts containing E414 Guar gum. (See the E-number guide.)
-Organic prepared meat products that contain E249 Potassium Nitrite or E250 Sodium Nitrite which are proven cancer-causing agents (See E249 –E252 in the E-number guide). They are in all non-organic and often even in organic:
- cold cuts
- hot dogs
- liver pate
- liver sausage
- sliced meats
- wurst etc.
Note: Many of these foods are also smoked as well which adds even more proven cancer- causing substances that are called Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAH`s) that are found in all smoke (industrial and natural) and are transferred to foods when those foods are smoked.
The World Cancer Research Project (WCRF) a project of the World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF) has stated that eating just one sausage (100 grams) per day –which contains E249 or E250 and is smoked as virtually all sausages ,bacon, cold cuts, frankfurters, ham, hotdogs, pastrami, salami, sliced meats ( often even organic) are - increases the risk of developing bowel cancer by 20%.
According to the “British Journal of Cancer” Professor Susanna Larsson at the world famous Karolinska Institute in Sweden found that the same product eaten in the same amount increased the rate of pancreatic cancer by 38%.
Always remember that there exists many different organic certifying organizations and each has their own different rules regarding the food additives that they allow or not. For example, the Swedish organization KRAV does not allow E249 and E250 in organic meat products but the EU organic certification does.
That is why it is so important to read the ingredient list of all organic foods, as well as with all non-organic foods. Unfortunately, both of these organic certifying organizations allow the organic foods that they certify to be smoked-without the labeling declaring that the product has been smoked(See below).
-Plastic bottles and plastic jars containing desserts, drinks, honey, juices, mineral water and soups etc. As mentioned many times before, dangerous chemicals always leach out from the plastic into the food or liquid. Although some kinds of plastic do leach out different kinds of dangerous chemicals than other plastics and/or in different amounts that other kinds of plastics, no plastic is completely safe!
-Raw pollen which contains black pieces. These are rancid and/or rotten. Note: Although organic pollen is an excellent food there are many people who are severely allergic to it! Before eating any product containing pollen including organic honey and royal jelly, make sure you are not allergic to it! Make sure also that the pollen is organic.
Bees pick up pollen from plants growing besides highways which then contains a multitude of deadly chemicals and from plants which have been sprayed with pesticides which also contaminates the pollen. Organic pollen means that within the bees maximum flight range there must be only organic farms, or uncultivated lands with no commercial farms, highways or industry.
Note: Never give any honey to infants under one year old because of the danger of infant botulism.
-Organic popcorn in bags for use in the microwave oven. All of these popcorn bags contain PFOA and should never be used (See the section: “Food Packaging”). Buy the popcorn itself and pop it yourself in a pot on the oven with organic butter or organic coconut oil.
-Organic raw sugars. (See the section: “Sugars”). Organic roasted vegetable oils, such as roasted sesame oil etc.(See the section: “Unhealthy Fats”). Organic “softened” dried fruit such as organic apricots, figs and prunes etc., in plastic bags - See the section: “Fruit Warnings”.
-Organic smoked food products, even if they are “naturally” smoked instead of using industrial smoke liquid. All smoke contains many dangerous and cancer-causing chemicals. Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAH) are proven cancer causing chemicals that are found in all smoke (industrial and natural) and are transferred to foods when those foods are smoked. All the following foods are smoked unless it is written on the label that they are not smoked, (in many countries a food which is smoked does not have to legally say that it is smoked on the label):
- frankfurters, hot dogs and wieners
- liver pate, liver sausage and liver wurst
- and virtually all: sausages, German “Wurst” and sliced meats etc.
Note: As mentioned before, virtually all of these foods also contain the extremely danger cancer-causing food additives E249 Potassium Nitrite or E250 Sodium Nitrite (See the E-number guide). As stated before, The World Cancer Research Project (WCRF) a project of the World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF) has stated that eating just one sausage per day increases the risk of developing bowel cancer by 20%! Many vegetarians and/or vegan meat substitutes are also smoked.
Note: Smoke can also be legally hidden under the word “Flavor” in the ingredient list.
-Organic vegetarian substitute meat products-see the last point in this section. Sun tanning machines. These machines have been proven beyond any doubt to cause skin cancer.
-Sulphured dried fruits. It is shocking how many “health” food stores sell non-organic dried fruit that has been treated with this poison. It is often found in bulk dried fruit and in dried fruit that is packed by the store itself and often not even labeled as sulphured or containing E 220-E228, which is against the law in the EU if it contains more than 10mg. per kg.
However even amounts less than 10 mg. per kg. Is enough to cause a severe reaction in some individuals. All countries in the EU claim that all food additives must be declared on the ingredient list but this is clearly not the case! (See the section: “Fruits” and the first page of the E-number guide).
Note: Never buy any dried fruit which is “bright” in color! In unsulphured dried fruits, the natural sugar in the dried fruit reacts with oxygen in the air to turn the fruit brownish or darkish. This does not affect taste! In fact the use of any of the food additives E220- E 228 always leaves a bitter taste.
Virtually any dried fruit can be treated with E 220- E228 but the use of these food additives are forbidden in certified organic dried fruit. The usual dried fruits that are sulfured and found in health food stores are:
- papaya cubes and pieces
- pineapple cubes and rings
- yellow raisins
I have also seen sulphured dried: cherries, cranberries, kiwi, melon, nectarines, peaches, strawberries etc. for sale. Dried prunes are usually treated with Sorbic acid E200 which is also often undeclared.
Note: Unsulphured organic dried mangoes are the only dried fruit that is naturally not brownish if unsulphured but if unsulphured are not uniformly all yellow but have areas of different yellow, orange or dark red colors. If the mangoes are sulphured they will be just one yellow golden color with little variations of that color.
To be sure, buy only certified organic (see below) dried mangoes and certified organic dried fruit. If the dried fruit is certified organic, with the name and logo of the certifying agency on the label, it is always untreated and free of both E220-E228 and Sorbic acid E 200.
-Do not buy organic raisins that are treated with sunflower oil.( See the section: " Healthy Fats and Oils")
-Tobacco! Even certified organic tobacco, in both bulk and in cigarettes is available. I suppose it gives you certified organic lung cancer and heart disease etc.!
-Vacuum packed organic meat and wild meats. Once again, the blood (and fat and water) leaches out dangerous chemicals from the plastic into the meat(See the section: “Organic Meat and Wild Meat”).
Organic vegan and vegetarian sandwich spreads and pates, in both tubes and cans, containing yeast extract (sometimes only listed as “Yeast” on the ingredient list) and/or maltodextrin. Both of these substances have exactly the same effect as MSG Monosodium Glutamate (See E621 in the E- number guide) See also the last point in this section.
-Organic vinegars. All vinegars except apple cider vinegar are extremely corrosive and destructive to the delicate lining of the stomach.
Note: Avoid all vinegars, including apple cider vinegar, if suffering from any kidney, liver or stomach problem.
-Wheat germ; unless it is less than one week old, and has been continuously refrigerated, it will be rancid, even if it does not taste bad. Wheat germ is also often defatted with the use of dangerous solvents such as hexane which stays in the food and can never be fully removed.
-Wheat germ oil - wheat germ oil can only be extracted with high temperatures, even if it says cold pressed. If not organic, dangerous solvents, such as hexane- which always remain in the finished product- are always also used (See the” Healthy Fats” and the “Unhealthy Fats” sections). It becomes rancid in even a shorter time than wheat germ.
Note: Vitamin E products often contain wheat germ oil-always read the ingredient list.
-Lastly, I would ask you to look at the very long list of food products found in the description of E620 in the E- number guide. Avoid as many of these products as possible!
Among the most common “health food” products containing “Process Free Glutamic Acids” ( PFGA’s) which have the exact same effect as MSG monosodium glutamate in the body (see E621 in the E - number guide) are vegetarian and/or vegan meat substitute food products containing:
- Autolyzed protein
- Brown rice protein
- Casein protein (milk protein)
- Corn protein (Maize protein)
- HVP (hydrolyzed vegetable protein, or hydrolyzed protein)
- Maltodextrin (Malt dextrin)
- Pea protein
- Quorn products
- Rice protein
- Soya isolate
- Soya protein
- TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- Wheat protein
- Whey protein
- Vegetable protein
- Yeast extract
Yeast extract is added to countless number of foods-including often organic foods - to give the foods a meaty flavor. Yeast extract and/or maltodextrin (malt dextrin) are virtually always in organic vegetable, (or meat) bouillons cubes, powders, and liquids. They also often added to organic prepared fast foods, frozen foods, soups and soup mixes etc.
Always read the ingredient list of all the foods you eat even if they are organic!
Unfortunately even organic foods can contain dangerous food additives.
Unhealthy Vitamin, Mineral Herbal and Health Food Supplements
As stated in the previous section, health food stores do contain many excellent and healthy foods and supplements but they can also contain the opposite.
- Beta-carotene products that do not say natural beta-carotene and do not state the source of the beta-carotene on the label or in the description of their beta-carotene in their website or advertising.
The sources for natural beta-carotene include:
- Blakeslea trispora (a variety of fungus)
- Dunaleilla salina algae
- Red palm
Note: Carrot oil, although natural, is not a healthy source for natural bete- carotene as the dangerous solvent hexane is used to in the extraction process. As mentioned many times before, hexane has been proven to cause birth defects, DNA damage, and cancer. Hexane can never be completely removed (See 160A Beta-Carotene in the E- number guide).
Note: Once again, the word “natural” means absolutely nothing legally! The source must be given. The American and Finnish studies that concluded that beta-carotene was very unhealthy because it had increased death rates due to cancer etc. had all used only synthetic beta-carotene in their studies.
The best and cheapest way to obtain beta-carotene is to simply eat cooked whole organic carrots, squash or sweet potatoes. Cooking carrots, squash and sweet potatoes until they are soft makes more of the beta-carotene available to the body.
Note: Some (organic and healthy) fat (such as organic olive oil, organic butter and organic coconut oil) must be eaten at the same time for the body to convert the beta –carotene into Vitamin A. Diabetics, infants and people with gallbladder problems or poor thyroid function cannot convert beta –carotene into Vitamin A.
-Body building protein bars, drinks, foods, powders and supplements etc. These products are terribly unhealthy (and are huge sellers) and contain an army of dangerous ingredients such as the proteins made from casein, soya, soya isolate, whey, brown rice, pea, vegetable, and wheat etc.
All of these proteins contain processed free glutamic acids (PFGA’s) which have the exactly same effect as MSG (monosodium glutamate) in the body (See E620 in the E- number guide and the excellent site: www.truthinlabelling.org).
- The 4 isolated (see the individual listings in this section) neurotoxic amino-acids ( also called excititoxins) of aspartic acid, glutamic acid, L-cysteine and L-phenylalanine. (See also www. truthinlabelling.org).
- Dangerous synthetic sweeteners such as Acesulfamkalium or Acesulfam K E950, Aspartame E 967, and Xylitol E 967 etc. (See the E- number guide)
- Caffeine, guarana, or Kola nut (Cola Nut)
- Iron gluconate, iron lactate or iron sulphate (See the listing of iron in this section.)
- Minerals that simply state 1) chelated or 2) amino-acid chelated or 3) chelated with a hydrolyzed protein or 4) protein chelated- all of which mean that they are all chelated ( chemically bound ) to soya protein (See E620 in the E- number guide and once again the excellent site: www. truthinlabelling.org).
- Minerals that are chelated to aspartic acid (asparates). Aspartic acid has the same effect in the body as glutamic acid (See E620 in the E-number guide)
- glutamic acid (glutamates) (See E620 in the E-number guide)
- citric acid; some cheaply made citrate mineral formulations use citric acid that is made from corn (citric is not made from citrus fruits anymore because fermented corn is much cheaper) that has not had all the protein in the corn removed. This remaining protein is broken down during production resulting in processed free glutamic acids- PFGA’s(See E620 in the E- number guide and the site: www. truthinlabelling.org). Ask the company producing the minerals about this and ask them to reply to you in a letter with a copy of analysis. As mentioned many times before-a letter is a legal document but a telephone conversation and e-mail are not.
- Non organic lecithin (See E322 in the E- number guide and the section: “Organic and Fair Trade Chocolate.”)
- Synthetic beta-carotene (See the section on beta-carotene above)
- Synthetic flavors or natural flavors, all of which are made with using toxic solvents such as hexane etc. which cannot be removed (See the first page of the E- number guide)
- Zinc Sulphate (See Zinc Sulphate in this section)
If you want to increase your protein intake, the healthiest way to do that is to eat only cooked -and never raw- egg whites from organic eggs. This is due to the very real dangers of E-coli and salmonella poisoning-regardless of what certain “health food experts” might say.
You must also significantly increase your water intake to help your kidneys and liver to detoxify and flush out the extra amount of waste products created by the extra protein (See the section: “Water.”).
Note: If suffering from any medical disorder whatsoever, you must ask your doctor about increasing your protein intake –in any way- before you do it. This I especially important if suffering from:
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Any kind of kidney disorder
- Any kind of liver disorder. This is vitally important!
-Bone meal supplements (capsules, powders, and tablets etc.). These have often been found to contain high levels of lead, even if they come from the “unpolluted pampas (or grasslands etc.) of Argentina” etc. Lead is extremely dangerous.
-Camphor containing patches oils and salves etc. Camphor is extremely poisonous and easily enters the body through the skin. Camphor is found in many Asian products, including one huge seller that has a tiger on the label.
-Chromium Picolinate. This form of chromium has been shown to cause chromosome damage in test animals. Choose Chromium chloride instead.
-Crystal deodorants, in either in a solid crystal form or liquid form. These deodorants contain alum, which is aluminum in a natural crystal formation. It is absorbed into the body and is extremely unhealthy! (See E173 in the E number guide). The labels of these products will state “Potas alum” or “Alum” or “ Alun” etc. as ingredients.
-Desiccated liver supplements. These have been often found to have high levels of heavy metals such as mercury etc.
-Dolomite supplements. Dolomite is calcium carbonate from Italy where the Alps are called the Dolomite mountain range, and has often been found to contain high levels of lead.
-Ehedra, (Ma-huang) Ephedra sinica; This herb can cause fatal side-effects and has been forbidden in many countries. It is often found in diet or “fat and hunger reducing” supplements.
-Garlic supplements that do not state their alliin or allicin levels on their labels. These are the only two compounds, that the German government`s German Commission E panel, have determined that are responsible for garlic´s powerful medical effects.
A minimum daily dosage of 10mg of alliin or 4,000mg of allicin is necessary for any significant medical effect. This is the equivalent of 4000mg of fresh raw garlic, or four small cloves of raw garlic per day. Of course, chopping, crushing or cutting the raw garlic, and then waiting for 10 minutes before eating it, will always have the best and most powerful medical effect. This allows time for allicin to be created from the alliin in the garlic.
If you are worried about your breath- chew raw parsley or anise seeds afterwards. The vast majority of garlic supplements produced do not state their alliin or allicin content and therefore have little or no effect, except for possibly a placebo effect. This is especially the case with almost all “odorless” garlic products.
Note: See also the section “Herbal Warnings” for important information on garlic.
-Glutamic acid or L-gutamic acid; when this isolated amino acid is produced it is not bound to any other amino acids etc., as it always is when naturally found in whole foods food (except in a few fermented soya foods) and it is a dangerous neurotoxin. It is a PFGA (Processed Free Glutamic Acid) and has the same effect in the body as MSG (Monosodium glutamate) (See E620 in the E- number guide and the excellent site: www. truthinlabelling.org).
-Guarana ampoules, chewing gums, drinks, food bars, and supplements etc. (See the section: “Guarana.”).
-Iron supplements and multi vitamin/mineral supplements etc. containing:
- ferrous gluconate
- ferrous lactate
- ferrous sulfate
- ferric pyrophosphate
- and ferric sodium pyrophosphate (See E579 and E585 in the E-number guide.)
All these 5 types of iron have been proven to cause cancer in laboratory animals(See the excellent book: “Cancer-Causing Agents” by Ruth Winter). Always read the ingredients and keep a special look out for an “unnamed” iron (where the label simply states “iron”) which is often the case in baby-foods, German liquid iron supplements and multi- vitamin and mineral products as well as in many iron fortified food.
Men rarely need iron supplementation unless they are gluten intolerant, harbor a parasite or are suffering from blood loss such as when having a bleeding ulcer etc. and should-along with non- menstruating women- only take iron if advised to do so by a doctor. Very high levels of iron in both men and in non-menstruating women might be linked to heart disease.
The best of course, is to get all the iron you need from food - see the site: www. wh.foods.com for the best food sources of all nutrients and read the note about this site in the section: “Nutritional Information”. You can of course always goggle for the richest food sources for iron also.
Note: Safe forms of iron include ferrous succinate and ferrous fumerate. For more very important information on iron see point number three in the section: “Supplement Recommendations.”
-Non-organic lecithin granules, liquid, and supplements containing non-organic lecithin.
See the information on non-organic in the section: “Organic and Fair Trade Chocolate” and E322 Lecithin in the E-number guide.
- L-cystine; when this isolated amino acid is produced it is not bound to any other amino acids etc., as it always is when naturally found in whole foods and is a dangerous neurotoxin. It is a PFGA (Processed Free Glutamic Acid) and has the same effect in the body as MSG (Monosodium glutamate) (See E620 in the E- number guide and the excellent site: www. truthinlabelling.org).
- L-phenylalanine-see the information on L-cystine above. Lycopene supplements that are not hexane free. Ask the producer to reply to you in a letter if the lycopene they make is made without hexane (See also the information about tomatoes in the section: “Vegetables”).
-Kava-Kava (Piper Methysticum); This herb has caused fatalities and has been forbidden in many countries.
-Kola-nut or cola nut supplements. Minerals from “ancient sea beds.” These products have often been found to contain high levels of toxic cadmium, lead and mercury etc. The safe minerals that they do contain are very poorly absorbed.
-Minerals that simply state:
- amino-acid chelated
- chelated with a hydrolyzed protein or protein chelated , mean that they are chelated ( chemically bound ) to soya protein (See E620 in the E- number guide and the excellent site: www. truthinlabelling.org).
- Minerals that are chelated to aspartic acid (asparates). Aspartic acid has the same effect in the body as glutamic acid (See E620 in the E- number guide and the excellent site: www. truthinlabelling.org)
- glutamic acid (glutamates) See above
- citric acid
Some cheaply made citrate mineral formulations use citric acid that is made from corn (citric is not made from citrus fruits anymore because fermented corn is much cheaper) that has not had all the protein in the corn removed. This remaining protein is broken down during production resulting in processed free glutamic acids (PFGA‘s) that have the same effect in the body as MSG (Monosodium glutamate) - See E620 in the E- number guide and the excellent site: www. truthinlabelling.org).
Ask the company producing the minerals about this and ask them to reply to you in a letter with a copy of analysis. As mentioned many times before-a letter is a legal document but a telephone conversation and e-mail are not.
-Primrose oil supplements that do not state on the label that they are “hexane free. Most primrose oil supplements are made with the use of the very dangerous solvent hexane. Hexane can never be completely removed and has caused birth defects, DNA damage and cancer.
-Sodium Selenite and Sodium Selenate. Sodium selenite and sodium selenate are extremely toxic and have shown to be cancer causing. They also interfere with the absorption of other nutrients such as Vitamin C and are poorly absorbed by the body.
Selenomethionine, where the selenium is bound to the amino acid of methionine, is safe and is also much better absorbed than either sodium selenite or sodium selenate. Selenium -rich yeast or Yeast Selenium is also well absorbed but is not recommended for people suffering from Candida problems.
Note: Unless told to do so by your doctor, or undergoing the removal of amalgam fillings, do not take over 400mcg.of selenium per day.
-Yohimbe supplements; this herb has been forbidden in many countries because of the numerous dangerous side effects that it has. It is widely sold as a sexual aid. The following herbs have been proven to help with sexual problems:
- Gingko Bilbao: See the “Herbal Warning” section
- Panax ginseng: See the “Herbal Warning” section
- Rhodiola rosea: See the “Herbal Warning” section
-Zinc nasal sprays; the use of this product has resulted in cases of both long lasting and of even permanent complete loss of smell function.
-Zinc sulphate; do not take a zinc supplement containing zinc sulphate, as zinc sulphate has been proven to be a cancer causing agent (See the excellent well indexed book “Cancer Causing Agents” by Ruth Winter).
Check your multi-vitamin-mineral supplement as well.
-All “health food” (and “normal”) toothpastes (See the section on toothpastes, under the “Healthy Home and Work” section), See also the section: “Body Care Products and Cosmetics” for important information on organic body care products and cosmetics.
Read This before Taking Any Supplement!
When taking any vitamin, mineral or herbal etc. supplement, (whether it be in a capsule, tablet, powder or liquid etc.), always check to see that all the additives (also called excipients) in the supplement are safe. Excipients are the non-active ingredients that are used as binding agents, lubricating agents and filling agents in capsules or tablet etc.
Unfortunately some of the additives that are found in the capsules themselves –whether in a gelatin or in a vegetarian capsule-are not listed on the ingredient list (See note number 2 in this section). This is extremely important as many poorly produced supplements contain excellent active ingredients (the vitamins, minerals or herbs etc.) but also contain dangerous excipients. Among the most dangerous excipients to avoid are (See the E- number guide):
- Aspartic acid: When this isolated amino acid is produced and therefore not bound to other amino-acids etc. as it always is when found naturally in food, it is a neurotoxin (excitotoxin) and has the same effect as MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) in the body. See the excellent site: www.truthinlabelling .org and E620 in the E-number guide
- BHA E320
- BHT E321
- Carboxymethylcellulosa E466
- Cellulosagummi E466
- Cellulose gum E 466
- Natrium carboxymethylcellulosa (Sodium carboxymethylcellulosa) E466
- Crospovidone see E 1201
- Croscarmellose E468
- Guar gum E414
- Karboximetylcellulosa E466
- Kroscarmellose E468
- Macrogol see E1521
- Maltodextrin (Malt Dextrin)-has the same effect as MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) in the body.See the excellent site: www.truthinlabelling .org and E620 in the E-number guide
- Metylparahydroxibensoat (Methyl Paraben) E 218
- Natriumkarboximetylcellulosa (Sodium carboximetylcellulosa) E466
- Polysorbate 20 -80, E431-E 436
- Polyvinylpolpyrrolidon E 1202
- Polyvinylpyrrolidon E 1201
- Povidone E1201
- Propylene glycol E 1502
- Propylparahydroxibensoat E 216 -same effect as E218 (Propyl Paraben)
- Natrium Sackarin (Sodium Saccharin) E954
- Saccharin E954
- Sorbic acid E200
- Sorbitol E420
- Talk E553b
- Titanium dioxide E171
- Tvarbundennatriumkarboximetylcellulosa ( Crosslinked Sodium Carboxmethyl Cellulose) E468
- Xylitol E967
- Certain mineral formulations (see the previous section) are also dangerous, such as the iron supplements of: Ferrous gluconate, Ferrous Lactate, Ferrous sulphate, Ferric pyrophosphate, Ferric sodium pyrophosphate
- Chromium Picolinate
- Zinc sulphate(See: “Vitamin, Mineral and other Supplement Warnings”)
Note: This is not a complete list! Sometimes when a certain vitamin, mineral or herbal supplements etc. is needed, the only supplement available which is needed might contain unhealthy additives. However, if you take daily supplements for a long period of time, try very hard to find the healthiest ones available.
Remember also that as long as the supplement is not a tablet, the 2 piece capsule can be easily twisted open allowing only the contents to be swallowed. If just a one piece capsule it can always be cut open and the contents squeezed out. Of course that will only take care of the excipients that are in the capsule and not those that are in the internal contents.
Note 1: People should always look first to food sources for all their nutritional needs. However due to any number of factors such as sickness, age, and poor diet etc. or simply the strength of the vitamin and/ or mineral needed supplements are sometimes necessary.
If you decide that you want to take any vitamin, mineral or herbal etc. supplement I recommend only the companies; “Pure Encapsulations” and “Thorne Research” supplements because they are the only companies that I know of that:
- state that they list all of the ingredients and additives in their products on their labels including those, if any, that are found in the “raw” vitamins etc. that they purchase from other companies before mixing
- constantly test and guarantee that they have found no GMO (genetically modified) residues in their supplements. Many of the B vitamins and Vitamin C are virtually always made from corn, and virtually all Vitamin E is made from soybeans. Over 90 % of the world’s corn and soybean crops are GMO. The cellulose used to make cellulose capsules is also virtually only made from corn.
- add no additives or preservatives to both their cellulose capsules and fish gelatin capsules.
Note 2: I have absolutely no connection to the two above mentioned companies or to any of the companies mentioned in this book.
Companies do not legally have to list on their label the additives that were found in the vitamins etc. that they purchased from other companies. They only legally have to list the additives that they themselves put in their vitamin and/or mineral and/ or herbal product etc.
Please see the section: “Do you take vitamins?” at the bottom at the first page of the E- number guide for more information on this extremely important point. This section also lists the unlisted dangerous additives that are usually added to vitamins such as adding E320 and/ or E321 to Vitamin A and to Vitamin D, E202, E203, E210, E211, and E212 to the various B Vitamins and E200 to Vitamin C etc.
Note 3: The supplements made by the companies of “ Pure Encapsulations” and “Thorne Research” can be taken along with the cellulose capsules that they are in. I have contacted both of these companies and they have both written back to me stating that no additives or preservatives whatsoever are used in their cellulose and in their fish gelatin capsules.
With all other companies-unless you have a letter and not a telephone call from them stating the same-I do not recommend that any cellulose and gelatin capsules by any company be swallowed, because all of the ingredients in the capsules themselves are never listed, so you have no way of knowing and checking the safety these “hidden” ingredients.
Since companies legally are not required by law to list on their label the additives that they themselves did not add- and they do not make their own capsules but buy them from another company- they therefore legally do not have to list the additives found in these capsules and never do. Of course this is a scandal!
All companies should be forced by law to list all the additives found in their products! Many cellulose capsules contain the dangerous food additive Sorbitol E420 and virtually all gelatin capsules have been made with and contain the dangerous chemical hexane, as well as possibly containing various dangerous preservatives as well such as BHA E320 and BHT E321 etc. (See the E- number guide).
Many supplements come in a 2 piece capsule which can easily be opened and the contents then either taken directly or poured into juice or a smoothie etc. In the case where the contents are in a one piece capsule, a corner of the capsule can always be cut open with the contents squeezed out.
Note 4: Always look up all the additive ingredients of all supplements including those of the above recommended 2 companies, before taking them. Even the two recommended companies make products that I do not recommend (see the previous section) and sometimes use unhealthy additives -that are listed on their label- in some of their products. Always look up all the additive ingredients on the list written in the section: “Read This Before Taking Any Supplement” and the excellent site: "ewg.org/skindeep".
Note 5: I do not recommend all the supplements made by these two companies. (See Note number four above)
Note 6: If you take any other vitamin and/ or mineral and/or herbal supplement or any health food supplement whatsoever, ask the company on the label that produces the product - not your local health food store etc.-to send you a letter listing the total ingredient list including any and all ingredients and additives that are not listed on the label.
Always remember that a letter is a legal document and that an e-mail or a telephone conversation is not
This is especially extremely important for the supplements that you and your children take on a daily basis.
Unlike vitamins, mineral or herbal supplements “usually” do not contain any “hidden” ingredients except for the fact that if a mineral is listed as: (See the previous section)
- amino-acid chelated
- chelated with a hydrolyzed protein
- or protein chelated, but the chelate is not listed, than the mineral has always been chelated (chemically bound) to to soy protein, which is extremely unhealthy because it then always contains glutamic acid E620 -See the previous section.
Minerals in the aspartate form are made with aspartic acid which has the same effect in the body as glutamic acid E620. Minerals in the citrate form-if made with poorly made citric acid that is made from corn- could contain processed free glutamic acids (PFGA).Ask the companies to reply to you in writing about the citric acid that they use and if they test for PFGA residues. Once again see the excellent website: www. truthinlabelling.org and E620 in the E- number guide supplement.
Note 7: If taking any Vitamin B 2 Riboflavin supplement, and /or Vitamin B12 supplement, and /or Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) supplement or any multivitamin/mineral supplement containing them, ask the producer of these supplement to answer you in a letter as to whether the corn which isused in the corn fermentation process-which is the process that is used to make all these supplements- is GMO (genetically modified) or not. At the same time ask if the soya beans that are used to make the natural Vitamin E supplement are GMO or not. All natural Vitamin E supplements are made from soya beans.
Note 8: Before taking any vitamin, mineral or supplement product, I strongly recommend that you look it up in the excellent site: www.purecaps.com (Go to Health Library- Clinical Essentials –Supplements A-Z). This site is a goldmine of excellent information which is far more detailed than the general information that is offered here. As mentioned earlier, I have absolutely no connection to this company or to any company which was mentioned in this book.
This site is simply listed as an excellent source of information and nothing more.
Note 9: Before taking any vitamin, mineral, herbal or any health food supplement of any kind always contact your doctor if you:
- Are suffering from any medical health disorder whatsoever-physical and/or mental
- Taking any medication whatsoever, whether it is by prescription only or not
- About to undergo any medical treatment of any kind
- About to undergo surgery
- About to take any medical test whatsoever
- Are pregnant
- Are breastfeeding
- Are elderly
Note: Keep all vitamins, mineral, herbal and any health food supplements (as well as all medication- both prescription and non-prescription) well out of the reach of children and at best in a locked cabinet.
Although the decision to take any supplement must be of course left up to the individual to decide, I do nevertheless very strongly feel that certain groups of people must take certain supplements.
- All vegans, both men and women, must take a Vitamin B12 supplement (see the section: “Vegetarian vs. Non-Vegetarian Diet”) and that all female vegans- and possibly female vegetarians- should take a safe iron supplement as well. See also number three below.
- All women must start taking a 400mcg. Folic acid supplement before they even try to get pregnant as well as throughout their pregnancy. Folic acid is especially important from the very beginning of the pregnancy to avoid giving birth to a baby with severe birth defects such spina bifida which a lack of folic acid in the mother will cause.
- All pregnant women must have their iron levels checked monthly, and if found to be low should first resort to eating iron rich foods to increase iron levels before taking any iron supplement. Goggle after the richest food sources of iron and which ones appeal to you the most and refer also to the site: www. whfood.com for the richest food sources of iron and Vitamin C etc. Read the important note about this site in the section: “Nutritional Information about Food.”
Note 1: Vitamin C increases the body`s ability to absorb iron by up to 80%. Always eat iron rich food together with foods that are high in Vitamin C. A safe iron supplement such as ferrous succinate or ferrous fumarate etc. can if needed also be taken.
Note 2: Do not take any iron supplement or multi vitamin/ mineral supplement which contains:
- ferrous gluconate
- ferrous lactate and
- ferrous sulfate
- ferric pyrophosphate
- and ferric sodium pyrophosphate (See E579 and E585, ferric pyrophosphate and ferric sodium pyrophosphate in the E-number guide).
All these 5 types of iron have been proven to cause cancer in laboratory experiments (See the excellent book: “Cancer-Causing Agents” by Ruth Winter).
Note 3: Please note that:
- Bran (including any uncooked grain flakes found in muesli etc.)
- Caffeine containing products
- Uncooked egg whites
- Calcium rich foods
- will all block the absorption of iron.
If the foods on this list are consumed, they must be consumed either 6 hours before or 6 hours after the consumption of iron rich foods or the taking of an iron supplement.
Note 4: Never eat raw egg whites or eat raw eggs, even if organic! Many “health food experts” recommend eating raw eggs. Raw eggs can contain E.coli bacteria and/or salmonella both of which can be fatal. In addition, raw egg whites contain avidin which blocks the absorption of biotin (an important nutrient) and contains conalbumin which blocks the absorption of iron.
Note 5: As mentioned before, considering the fact that approx.40% of women of child bearing age in Western countries have been found to be iron deficient-all women who feel physically and/or mentally tired or exhausted should have their iron levels checked.
Many women, especially those who are vegan or vegetarian, simply deal with their tiredness by using:
- caffeine products
- sugar products
- tobacco products
Men and non-menstruating older women rarely suffer from lack of iron unless they are gluten intolerant, suffer from internal bleeding such as an ulcer etc. or suffer from a parasitic infection, and should not take an iron supplement unless recommended to by their doctor. Iron levels can also be increased by cooking food in iron pots. Only cook food in untreated iron pots. See the section: ”Healthy Cooking and Kitchen Supplies.”
4.People living in northern climates must take a vitamin D 3 supplement (vitamin D 2 is synthetic) during the winter or use a government approved “natural light machine” (not a sun tanning machine!) which creates vitamin D on your skin. In northern climates-such as in Scandinavia- the type of ultraviolet waves (UV rays) found during the months November-April does not produce Vitamin D on the skin.
Only UV-B rays which in northern climates are only present during May-October produce Vitamin D on the skin.
During these months, a minimum of 20 minutes of direct sun exposure (not through a window) on your face and hands is the amount of time needed on a daily basis (and do not wash your face or hands etc. for 2 hours because doing so will actually rinse away the Vitamin D) for the sun’s rays to create the amount of Vitamin D needed by the body.
Note: This is extremely important for all people but even more so for older people who should take a natural vitamin D 3 supplement throughout the whole year, because they often do not go outside very much throughout the whole year.
Note 1: Lack of vitamin D can often create side effects similar to senile dementia and other mental disorders.
Note 2: If suffering from any the following medical disorders-consult your doctor before taking any vitamin D supplement:
- Primary hyperparathyroidism
- Granulomatous tuberculosis
- Cancer, Source: “Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine” by Dr. Michael Murray and Dr. Joseph Pizzorno. pg.78.
In historical times both the people in Scandinavia and the native peoples in North America ate a diet that was very high in fatty fish and ate cooked fish livers and/or fish liver oil- all of which are an extremely rich source of Vitamin D as well as Vitamin A etc.
5.I believe that older people must take a complete vitamin and mineral formula daily because:
- their diets are often not very nutritious
- they often have difficulties in absorbing nutrients
- they often eat very little
6.Food that has grown in selenium poor soils will produce food that is low in selenium. The soil in Sweden and in many other countries is very low in selenium. As this mineral is crucial to health and for the prevention of cancer and heart disease, I believe that people eating food grown in selenium poor soil such as in Sweden etc. should take a supplement of 200mcg.of selenium methionine per day (or eat 3 Brazil nuts per day).
Goggle after the richest food sources of selenium and which ones appeal to you the most and refer also to the site: www. whfood.com for the richest food sources of selenium and of all minerals and vitamins.
Read also the important note about this site in the section: “Nutritional Information about Food.”.
Note: Do not take any supplement containing sodium selenite or sodium selenate! Check your daily vitamin and mineral supplement. Sodium selenite and sodium selenate are extremely toxic and have shown to be cancer causing –do not take them!
They also interfere with the absorption of other nutrients such as Vitamin C. Selenium methionine, where the selenium is bound to the amino acid of methionine is safe and is much better absorbed than sodium selenite and sodium selenate.
Selenium –rich yeast or Yeast Selenium is also well absorbed but is not recommended for people suffering from Candida. Unless told to do so by your doctor, or undergoing the removal of amalgam fillings, do not take over 400mcg.of selenium per day.
Vitamin, Mineral and Other Supplement Warnings
Once again, as written earlier:
Note 1: Before taking any vitamin, mineral, herbal or any health food supplement of any kind always contact your doctor if you:
- Are suffering from any medical health disorder whatsoever- physical and/or mental
- Taking any medication whatsoever, whether it is by prescription only or not
- About to undergo any medical treatment of any kind
- About to undergo surgery
- About to take any medical test whatsoever
- Are pregnant
- Are breastfeeding
- Are elderly
Note 2: Keep all vitamins, mineral, herbal and any health food supplements (as well as all medication- both prescription and non-prescription) well out of the reach of children and at best in a locked cabinet.
Note 3: Once again, as written before, before taking any vitamin, mineral or supplement product, I strongly recommend that you look it up in the excellent site: www.purecaps.com (Go to Health Library-Clinical Essentials –Supplements A-Z) for excellent information which is far more detailed than the general information that is offered here.
Also as mentioned earlier, I have absolutely no connection to this company or to any company which mentioned in this book. This site is simply listed as an excellent source of information and nothing more.
L-arginine and L-ornithine; the following people should not take these two products:
- people suffering from schizophrenia (See the section: “Food Allergies and Food Intolerances” also)
- pregnant or breastfeeding mothers
- children and adults with Herpes simplex1or 2, should not L-arginine unless approved to do so by their doctor.
Long term dosages of over 1,000 mg daily can lower levels of iron, vitamin B6 and copper in the blood and can also lower levels of calcium and potassium.
Do not take this amino acid if suffering from:
- high blood pressure
- People taking any anti-depressive medicine and all pregnant or breastfeeding mothers must not take this amino acid
Pregnant women should not take over 2,500 I.U of vitamin A per day, as this could lead to birth defects.
Note: There is no such danger with natural Beta-carotene supplements. Please read the important information on beta-carotene in the section: “Unhealthy Vitamin, Mineral Herbal and Health Food Supplements.”
Vitamin B3 Niacin
If suffering from the following medical disorders, consult your doctor before taking any supplement containing Vitamin B3 Niacin:
- liver disease
- having an elevation in liver enzymes
- peptic ulcer
- stomach ulcer
Pregnant women who take Vitamin B3 Niacin must not take over 25mg.per day.
Vitamin B Complex
In some individuals, high amounts of the B complex vitamins can cause an increase in appetite.
Vitamin C, Ascorbic acid
If suffering from:
- kidney disease
- recurrent kidney stones
- are on hemodialysis
- ask your doctor before taking any supplements containing vitamin C
Note: Vitamin C can give a false positive reaction to glucosides. Vitamin C (as well as Folic acid) interferes with the testing for Vitamin B12.
Always take a natural Vitamin D3 supplement when taking a calcium supplement to increase calcium absorption.
Note: Calcium is found in virtually all multiple vitamin and /or mineral supplements-read the ingredients.
If you are a diabetic, ask your doctor before taking any supplement containing any kind of chromium.
Note: Chromium picolinate has caused chromosome damage in some animal studies. Chromium chloride is recommended instead.
Note: Chromium is found in virtually all multiple vitamin and /or mineral supplements-read the ingredients.
Ask your doctor before taking any vitamin supplements containing Vitamin E if:
- suffering from high blood pressure
- taking any blood pressure lowering drugs. Vitamin E can increase blood pressure.
- taking any anti-coagulant drugs, such as Coumadin or Wafarin etc. Vitamin E can increase the effect of these drugs.
If taking a Vitamin E supplement make sure it is natural Vitamin E not synthetic Vitamin E. Natural Vitamin E is written as:
- d-alpha- tocopherol or
- d -alpha tocopheryl acetate or
- d-alpha tocopheryl succinate
Synthetic Vitamin is written as:
- dl-alpha- tocopherol or
- dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate or
- dl-alpha tocopheryl succinate
- Synthetic Vitamin E is one third less powerful and effective as natural Vitamin E in the body.
Try to get a natural Vitamin E supplement that does not contain soya oil or wheat germ oil
Try to get a natural mixed tocopherol Vitamin E supplement that contains not only the alpha tocopherol but one that contains Beta, Delta, and Gamma tocopherols as well.
Try also to get a natural Vitamin E supplement that also contains a group of related compounds called tocotrienols.
Ask the producer for a letter stating that the natural Vitamin E product is GMO free.
Virtually all natural Vitamin E supplements are made from soya, and the vast majority of the soya crops worldwide are GMO (genetically modified.)
Fish Oil Supplements, Krill Oil Supplements and EPA and DHA Supplements
Note: If you:
- are about to undergo surgery
- are taking as anti-coagulant such as Warfarin (Coumadin)
- have a blood coagulation disorder
- ask your doctor before taking these supplements. All these products have natural blood thinning effects. If you are allergic to shellfish, do not take krill oil.
If suffering from any thyroid disorder do not take any supplement containing iodine without first consulting a doctor and having your blood tested. Taking any iodine supplements-including kelp tables or eating sea vegetables- could make your condition much worse (See also the very important information on sea vegetables- such as kelp and seaweeds including arame, dulse, hiziki, nori and wakame etc. in the section: ”Vegetable Warnings.”).
Note: Virtually all multiple vitamin and/ or mineral supplements contain iodine- read the ingredients.
Note: As written before, do not take any iron supplement or multi- vitamin and/ or mineral product etc. containing:
- Ferrous Gluconate
- Ferrous Lactate
- Ferrous Sulphate
- Ferric pyrophosphate
- Ferric sodium pyrophosphate
All these 5 types of iron have been shown to cause cancer (See the well researched book: “Cancer Causing Agents” by Ruth Winter). Foods are always the best and the safest sources for all nutrients. For important information on iron, see point number three in the section: “Supplement Recommendations.”
If suffering from diabetes or liver disease, then ask your doctor before taking this supplement.
This phytonutrient is naturally found in high amounts in any cooked tomato product, such as in tomato concentrate, puree or sauce etc. all of which can be eaten by people suffering from these two medical disorders. Eating some healthy fat at the same time (See the section on “Healthy Fats”) will greatly increase the absorption of this phytonutient.
If taking lycopene as a supplement, make sure that it is totally natural with the food source stated on the label and ask the producer to reply to you in a letter if it is made without the use of hexane.
If suffering from:
- heart disease
- kidney disease
- ask your doctor before taking any supplement containing magnesium.
Note: Magnesium is found in virtually all multiple vitamin and /or mineral supplements-read the ingredients.
MCT (Medium-Chain Triglycerides)
If suffering from:
- liver disease
- ask your doctor before taking this supplement as it may lead to acidosis.
If suffering from:
- heart diseases
- kidney disease
- ask your doctor before taking any supplement containing potassium.
Note: Potassium is found in virtually all multiple vitamin and /or mineral supplements-read the ingredients.
Note: People with bipolar (maniac) depression should not take SAM, unless under strict medical supervision. The anti-depression activity of SAM may lead to the maniac phase in those people.
Sodium selenite and sodium selenate are extremely toxic and have shown to be cancer causing – do not take them! They also interfere with the absorption of other nutrients such as Vitamin C. Selenomethionine, where the selenium is bound to the amino acid of methionine is safe and is much better absorb than sodium selenite and sodium selenate.
Selenium – rich yeast or Yeast Selenium is also well absorbed but is not recommended for people suffering from Candida. Unless told to do so by your doctor, or undergoing the removal of amalgam fillings, do not take over 400mcg.of selenium per day.
Note: Selenium is found in virtually all multiple vitamin and /or mineral supplements - read the ingredients.
Spirulina contains phenylalanine and must not be taken by people who have phenylketonuria.
Note: Regardless of what the producers of spirulina might claim –the Vitamin B12 in spirulina cannot be absorbed by humans and spirulina is not a good source of Vitamin B12!
Do not take a zinc supplement containing zinc sulphate, as zinc sulphate has been proven to be a cancer causing agent (See the excellent and well indexed book: “Cancer Causing Agents” by Ruth Winter).
Herbal Information and Warnings
Once again, as written earlier - before taking any vitamin, mineral, herbal or any health food supplement of any kind always contact your doctor if you:
- Are suffering from any medical health disorder whatsoever- physical and/or mental
- Taking any medication whatsoever, whether it is by prescription only or not
- About to undergo any medical treatment of any kind
- About to undergo surgery
- About to take any medical test whatsoever
- Are pregnant
- Are breastfeeding
- Are elderly
Note 1: Keep all vitamins, mineral, herbal and any health food supplements (as well as all medication- both prescription and non-prescription) well out of the reach of children and at best in a locked cabinet.
Note 2: For all herbs that have certain side-effects or that simply cannot be taken for a certain reason, there always exists a safe herbal substitute.
Note 3: If you are suffering from any physical and/or mental health disorder, please read the section: “Sources of Information on Healing” before you start self- medicating or taking the advice of other people.
Note 4: Before taking any herbal product, I strongly recommend that you look up in the herb, including the herbs listed in this section, in the excellent site: www.purecaps.com (Go to Health Library-Clinical Essentials –Botanical Medicines A-Z.) for excellent herbal information. This goldmine of information contains much more detailed information on herbs than is written here.
As mentioned earlier, I have absolutely no connection to this company or to any company which mentioned in this book. This site is simply listed as an excellent source of information and nothing more.
Standardized vs. Non-standardized Herbs
There exists a never ending debate between herbalists whether the whole powdered herb (or whole herbal extract or tincture) is more or less effective than a standardized herbal extract. A standardized herbal extract is when those substances in a certain herb that have been proven to be responsible for the proven medical effective of that certain herb have been isolated and made into a precise dosage.
For example, the substances that are responsible for the medical effects that Panex ginseng has are called ginosides, and in Rhodiola Rosea they are called rosavins .
So a standardized Panax ginseng extract would be for example 3%- 15% ginosides, so in every 100 mg capsule or tablet you would receive 3mg.- 15 mg of ginosides. For Rhodiola, the usual standardization is 3% rosavins . Virtually every herb that is used medically has had the major substances that are responsible for the medical effects of that certain herb identified and named.
Note: It is very expensive to produce precise standardized herbal extracts which is why the vast majority of companies do not use them but write on the label something else instead such as:
- One capsule or tablet etc. contains 500 mg.Rhodiola Rosea root powder etc.
- Contains Rhodiola extract equivalent to 500 mg. Rhodiola Rosea root powder
- Contains Standardized extract of Rhodiola Rosea (but do not write what substances are standardized or the amount!)
- Standardized for rosavin content (but do not state what the precise amount of the standardization is!)
- None of these 4 statements tell you how much rosavins you are getting per capsule or tablet!
The argument given for using the whole powdered herb, extract or tincture is that there exists many possible unknown medical substances and possibly unknown co-factors that have been up to now not identified, that are important for the medical effect of the herb and that these are either not in- or are not in the amount that they are found naturally - in the standardized herbal extract. They also argue that for thousands of years only whole herbal products were available.
The argument against using the whole powdered herb, extract or tincture is that the most valuable and most medically active substances have been identified and in a non-standardized product the consumer has no idea of how much- if any- of these substances are in that product. In any herb, the amount of any of these valuable medically active substances found in the herb depends on many factors, including:
- How much sunlight did the herb receive?
- How much water did the herb receive?
- How fertile was the soil that the herb grew in?
- At what age was the herb harvested?
- What method was used in harvesting?
- How was the herb stored?
- How long was the herb stored for?
I believe that both arguments are valid and each side has a plus and a minus but in human trials virtually only standardized herbal extracts are used.
So I personally believe that when a specific medical effect or cure is sought after, then standardized herbal extracts (that state the exact substances that have been standardized and in their precise amounts) should be used. However for a general non-specific effect that the whole powdered herb, extract or tincture product, can be used.
Note: Unfortunately many companies purposely use a non-standardized herbal extract in an herbal product while at the same time stating that the same herb has been proven to help a certain medical disorder - according to a certain medical study -while knowing full well that only a standardized herbal product of that herb taken at a precise dosage had been used to create that positive medical effect in that medical study!
One of the biggest selling examples of this fraud are the many “Saw Palmetto (Serenoa repens) products that are sold. Saw palmetto has been proven effective to help men suffering from prostate disorders. But all the studies that have been done that prove that Saw palmetto helps in prostate disorders have only used a standardized extract of 85%-95% fatty acids and sterols in the dose of 160 mg. taken twice a day.
Of course the amount in mg. of the same standardized extract in each capsule or tablet etc. can vary, but as long as the total amount of 320 mg. of this precise standardized extract of 85%-95% fatty acids and sterols is taken daily - the same the same effect will be achieved. Yet almost all of the Saw Palmetto sold are not standardized!
The same is true for all herbs. Almost all Panax Ginseng products are not standardized for their ginoside content and almost all Rhodiola Rosea (Rosenrot) products are not standardized for their rosviner and salidroside content. Russian ginseng (Rysk Rot) or Siberian ginseng products are very rarely standardized for their eleutheroside E content.
Do not take the following herbs during pregnancy
Note: This is not a complete list! See the above mentioned website at the beginning of this article for detailed information on hundreds of herbs.
- Agnus castus-Vitex agnus castus.
- Aloe vera-Aloe barbadensis.
- Black cohosh-Cimifuga racemosa.
- Damiana-Tunera diffusa
- Devil´s claw-Harpapohytum procumbens
- Dong Quai-Angelica sinensis, Angelica polymorpha
- Feverfew-Tunacetum parthenium
- Gingko-Gingko bilboa
- All of the various kinds of Ginseng including:
* American ginseng- Panax Quinqefolium
* Chinese and Korean ginseng-Panax ginseng also written as Panax Ginseng C.A.Meyer
* Russian or Siberian ginseng- Acanthopanax Senticosus or Eleutheroccus Senticosus
- Golden seal- Hydrastis Canadensis
- Passion flower-Passiflora incarnata
- Pau Dàrco (Lapacho, Taheebo) - Tabebuia avellanedae
- Rosemary-Rosemarinus officinalis
- Rhodiola rosea
- Saw palmetto-Serona repens
- Schisandra, (Schizandra, Chisandra)-Schisandra chinesis
- Scutellariae-Scutellaria baicalensis
- Slippery elm-Ulmas fulva
- Uva ursi-Arctostaphylos uva-ursi
- Wild yam-Dioscorea Villosa
Note 1: Be extremely careful with all herbs during pregnancy and breastfeeding as with many herbs we do not know of their possible effect on the baby! The safest approach would be to only use the usual herbs used for cooking, in their normal amounts.
Note 2: Always ask your doctor before taking any kind of vitamin, mineral, herb, and supplement or any kind of medication or drug if pregnant or breastfeeding.
Note:3 In order to avoid the possibility of birth defects, it is strongly recommended to take 400 mcg. of Folic acid both while trying to get pregnant and during the full term of the pregnancy, see the section: “Supplement Recommendations”.
The following extremely healthy herbs have blood-thinning effects and anti-coagulant effects
Note: This is not a complete list!
- Cayenne-Capsicum frutescens
- Garlic-Allium sativum
- Ginger-Zingiber officnalis
- Saw Palmetto-Serenoa repens
Note: It is extremely important that if:
- you are taking any blood-thinning medication
- you are taking any anti-coagulant medication such as Warfarin
- or are about to undergo any surgery or operation, that you consult your doctor about how much, if any, of the above four herbs-or of any herb-you can use or take a supplement of.
Aloe Vera-Aloe Barbadensis
Do not take this herb (internally), if suffering from inflammatory intestinal disease, such as Cohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis or if pregnant. Do not give this herb (internally) to children.
Echinacea – Echinacea Angustifolia, Echinacea Pallida, Echinacea Purpurea
Do not use if suffering from any auto-immune disease such as:
- MS. (Multiple Sclerosis)
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- S.L.E (System Lupus Erythmatosus)
People taking Cortisone or Cyclosporine should also avoid taking Echinacea. Do not take this herb if pregnant.
Note: Standardized garlic supplements or raw garlic can be taken instead of Echinacea, with similar powerful anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. See the article explaining the difference in garlic supplements in the section: “Unhealthy Vitamin, Mineral, Herbal and Health Food Supplements” See also the section: “Quick and Cheap Cold Cure.
Ginkgo, Ginkgo- Bilboa
- are about to undergo surgery
- suffer from bleeding ulcers
- or suffer from any circulatory problem, consult your doctor before taking this herb.
Do not take this herb if pregnant.
Ginseng (American)-Panax Quinqefolium
Do not use if suffering from:
- acute anxiety
- high blood pressure
If suffering from any heart problem, consult your doctor before taking this herb.
Do not take this herb if pregnant.
In China, which buys over 95% of the American ginseng crop, this herb is used in only fever formulas etc. since it is considered a “cooling” herb. It is not taken on a daily basis, but only when sick with a fever etc.
Panax ginseng however is not a” cooling” herb and is taken daily by millions of people.
Note: Some companies produce supplements containing American ginseng and Panax ginseng. Yet according to Chinese herbal medicine American ginseng has exactly the opposite effect of Panax ginseng!
Ginseng (Chinese or Korean)-Panax Ginseng, Panax Ginseng C.A.Meyer
Do not use if suffering from:
- acute anxiety
- should not be taken by women with a history or high risk of fibrocystic breast disease or estrogen dependent cancer
- If suffering from any heart problem, consult your doctor before taking this herb
- If suffering from high blood pressure consult your doctor before taking this herb.
- Do not take this herb if pregnant.
Note 1: To avoid sleeping problems Panax Ginseng should be taken before 14:00.P.M.
Chinese and Korean ginsengs are grown for a minimum of three years before harvesting and during this time are sprayed very heavily with pesticides. They are then partially “cleansed” of pesticides by using dangerous solvents such as hexane which can never be completely removed.
Hexane has been proven to cause birth defects, DNA damage and cancer. For this reason, try to find certified organic sources of Panax ginseng.
Note 2: Be very suspicious with any ginseng claiming to be organic. Do not buy it unless it is certified organic.
One such company producing certified (by 4 different international certification agencies) organic Panax ginseng is
www. plusone native.com.
Note 3: I have absolutely no connection to this company or to any of the companies mentioned in this book.
Note 4: Rhodiola rosae ( Rosenrot) can be used instead of Panax ginseng with similar adaptogenic and medical effects (See number 9). An adaptogen a substance which helps the body to deal with both physical and emotional stress.
Ginseng (Russian or Siberian) –Acanthopanax senticosus or Eleutherococus senticosus
Do not use if suffering from:
- acute anxiety
- high blood pressure
- If suffering from any heart problem, consult your doctor before taking this herb.
Do not use this herb if taking any blood-thinning medication. Do not take this herb if pregnant.
Although having similar ginseng adaptogenic effects, this herb is not a true ginseng species, and is considered much weaker in its mental effects but not in its physical effects than Panax ginseng. An adaptogen a substance which helps the body to deal with both physical and emotional stress.
Note: Rhodiola rosea (Rosenrot) can be used instead of Russian ginseng, with similar adaptogenic and medical effect (See number 9).
Rhodiola rosea (Rosenrot)
Note: Do not use this herb if suffering from bipolar syndrome.
This herb is contra-indicated for individuals taking adrenergic-blocking and anti-arrhythmic medications. Do not take this herb if pregnant.
Note: In the amounts of 100mg.-300mg. of a standardized extract consisting of 3% rosavins taken daily Rhodiola rosea has a stimulating effect similar to that of Panax ginseng.
However when taken in greater amounts then the above stated dosages it has a sedative effect.
That is why Rhodiola rosea can be found in both energizing herbal formulas and in sedative herbal formulas.
St. John`s Wort – Hypericum Perforatum
Note: Always consult your doctor if taking any drug whatsoever or any medication whatsoever before taking this herb! Do not take this herb if pregnant.
Although an extremely valuable remedy against many health disorders such as anxiety depression, insomnia and nervous tension, (with much better results than the usual anti-depressive drugs such as Prozac and Zoloft etc. and- unlike these anti-depressive drugs- having no dangerous side- effects) as well as having powerful anti-microbial effects, this herb is contra-indicated for many medications and drugs.
So many in fact that some countries, such as France, have forbidden the free non-prescription sale of it!
Note: Do not combine this herb with any anti-depressive medication or any medication!
Other herbs used for treating anxiety, depression, insomnia and nervous tension are (This is not a complete list):
- Ginkgo Bilboa –See number 5; do not take Ginkgo Bilboa if pregnant
- Passion flower (Passiflora Incarnata); do not take Passion flower if pregnant.
Note: Once again, do not combine any herb with any drug or medication, prescription or non-prescription, without first consulting your doctor and pharmacist and the above mentioned web site.
Schisandra (Chisandra, Schizandra) Schisandra chineses
Do not use of suffering from:
- acute anxiety
Do not take this herb if pregnant. Schisandra is known as the poor man´s ginseng, although it has a much weaker effect than Panax ginseng.
Valerian Root -Valeriana officinalis
- Do not take this herb if already taking any prescribed sedatives, or tranquillizers
- Do not take this herb if driving or operating any machinery
- Can cause depression
Note: If depression is a problem, passion flower can be used instead with similar results, but do not take either herb if pregnant.
The EPA, the Environmental Protection Agency of the United States government has stated that 85% of all cancers are environmentally induced. This means that the vast majority of cancers are caused by some agent in the environment which you can do something about.
Note: Official reports both by the Swedish government and the EU state that 30 % of all men and women under 75 years old now living in Sweden and the EU member countries will get some variety of cancer during their lifetime. In the United States according to their own governmental the statistics for Americans are 50% of all men and 30% of all women under 75 years old.
The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) has also declared pesticides to be the third biggest cause of cancer after tobacco products and radon gas. The average American and European consume 13 different pesticides in their food every day.
Pesticides have been proven to cause:
- Aggressive behavior
- Birth defects
- Brain cancer
- Breast cancer
- Interference with the human hormone system
- Kidney cancer
- Learning disorders
- Non-Hodgkin`s lymphoma
- Nerve damage
- Organ damage
- Parkinsons disease
- Prostate cancer
- Sperm abnormalities
- A severely reduced immune response, which makes any existing health disorder worse and opens up the body to new health disorders.
- ADD - attention deficit disorder
- ADHD – attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
The source of information for this list is” The Pesticide Action Network” which is an organization with excellent documentation. They can be found at: www.pesticideinfo.org
Note 1: Virtually all Western countries use a standard pesticide detection system that tests for up to 239 different kinds of pesticide residues. Yet it is commonly known that over 1100 different kinds of pesticides are used worldwide with new pesticides entering the market every year.
The testing method for determining if a pesticide is safe or not, and for determining “safe pesticides residue levels,” has exactly the same kind of problems that exist for the testing for food additives to see if they are safe or not.
Note 2: All governments simply accept the “Honest and Unbiased” test experiments done by or paid for by the company making that pesticide. No government does their own independent testing of pesticides unless a health danger arises afterwards.
Note 3: The exact same problem of one country determing that a pesticide or food additive is safe and another country forbidding the same pesticide or food additive because they believe it is dangerous exists also.( See next page.)
Note 4: Pesticides- just like food additives- are only tested by themselves yet are almost always used together with other pesticides on the same crop with totally unknown effects.
Note 5: Since pesticides –just like food additives- are only tested on animals we can never know there effect on humans until it is too late.
The following pesticides are ALL allowed to be used in Canada, the United States and also in ALL the European countries that are not written as having banned it:
- 1, 3-dichloropropene
Banned by: Austria, Germany, Sweden, registration canceled in Australia
- 2, 4-D
Banned by: Denmark, Norway, Sweden
Banned by: Norway, European Union
Banned by: Finland, Norway, Sweden
Banned by: Norway, European Union
Banned by: Germany, Slovenia, Sweden
Banned by: Norway, Sweden
Banned by: Denmark, Finland, Norway
Banned by: Austria, Germany, Sweden
Banned by: Sweden
Banned by: Austria, Germany, Sweden
Banned by: Sweden
Banned by: Finland, Sweden
Banned by: Denmark
Banned by: Denmark
Banned by: Denmark
Banned by: Denmark, Norway, Sweden
Banned by: Denmark
Banned by: Denmark, Sweden, United Kingdom
Banned by: Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden
Banned by: Sweden
Banned by: Sweden
Banned by: Denmark
Banned by: Sweden
Banned by: Norway, European Union
- Ethylene oxide
Banned by:European Union
Banned by: European Union
Banned by: European Union
Banned by: Denmark, Norway, Slovenia, Sweden
Banned by: Denmark
Banned by: Norway, Sweden
- Maleic hydrazide
Banned by: Austria, Denmark, Finland, Germany, United Kingdom
Banned by: Norway
Banned by: Sweden
Banned by: European Union
Banned by: Denmark, Finland, United Kingdom
Banned by: European Union
- PCNB, also known as Quintozene
Banned by: European Union
Banned by: Sweden
- Pentachlorophenol (PCP)
Germany, Netherlands, New Zealand, Sweden, and Switzerland
- Para-dichlorobenzene, also known as 1, 4-dichlorobenzene
Banned by: Sweden
Banned by:European Union
Banned by: European Unio
Banned by: Sweden
Banned by: Sweden
Banned by: Sweden
Banned by: Norway
Banned by: Norway, European Union
- Sodium chlorate
Banned by: Norway, Sweden
Banned by: Sweden
Banned by: Denmark, Slovenia
Banned by: Denmark
Banned by: Sweden
Banned by: Sweden
Banned by: Sweden
- Tributyltin oxide
Banned by: Denmark, Japan, United Kingdom
Banned by: Denmark, Norway, Sweden
Banned by: Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden
Banned by: European Union
Banned by: Denmark, Sweden
Thesource of information for the above list is the: “David Suzuki Foundation Report.”
Note: This list, although excellent, cannot be considered complete, as new pesticides are continuously being created and allowed to be used and forbidden. The situation with non organic food crops grown in third world countries and exported is even worse!
Non- organic food crops such as cashew nuts, cocoa, coffee, corn, cotton (cottonseed oil), peanuts, soya beans, sugar and tea and many, many more foods etc. (as well as the grains and soya bean based feed etc. that are fed to the animals whose meat is exported from the same third world countries to the EU ) are often sprayed with pesticides that have been forbidden by both the EU and the United States.
The following pesticides have been forbidden for use by both the EU and the United States: (but many of these pesticides are still being produced and exported to third world countries by certain EU nations and the U.S.A. which have forbidden them for use in their own country!
Note: This is not a complete list as pesticides are continuously being forbidden (and produced and exported to third world countries!)
- BHC - benzene hexachloride
- 2, 3, 4, 5-Bis (2-butylene) tetrahydro-2-furaldehyde [Repellent-11]
- Bromoxynil butyrate
- Cadmium compounds
- Calcium arsenate
- Carbon tetrachloride
- Chlordecone [Kepone]
- Chlorinated camphene [Toxaphene]
- Chloromethoxypropylmercuric acetate
- Copper arsenate
- DieldrinDinoseb and salts
- Di (phenylmercury) dodecenylsuccinate [PMDS]
- 1, 2-dibromoethane ethylene dibromide [EDB]
- Ethyl hexyleneglycol [6-12]
- Hexachlorobenzene [HCB]
- Lead arsenate
- Mercurous chloride
- Mercuric chloride
- Nitrofen (TOK)
- OMPA (octamethylpyrophosphoramide)
- Phenylmercury acetate [PMA]
- Phenylmercuric oleate [PMO]
- Potassium 2, 4, 5-trichlorophenate [2, 4, 5-TCP]
- Pyriminil [Vacor]
- Sodium arsenite
- Terpene polychlorinates [Strobane]
- Thallium sulfate
- 2, 4, 5-Trichlorophenoxyacetic acid [2, 4, 5-T]
- Vinyl chloride
The source of information for the above list is the: “Pesticide Fact Sheet # 141, CEPEP, The Colorado Environmental Pesticide Education Program.”
As stated earlier, the horrible fact is that many Western countries are allowed to produce the very same pesticides that they forbid to be used on food crops in their own country and export it to third world countries! The food crops sprayed with these deadly pesticides are then exported back to Europe, the U.S.A .and other Western countries.
China still produces, uses, and exports DDT, which has been banned for use in more than 170 countries !
Virtually all pesticides that are used today are “systemic” pesticides, not topical pesticides. This means that the pesticides do not just lie on the “top” or surface of the food but enter the very “system” of the food itself. This also means that you cannot wash off the pesticide. It does not matter what kind of detergent or soap is used.
Note: It is still although very important to rinse off all produce before eating for hygienic purposes.
In third world countries, they should be peeled as well.
According to studies done by the NRDC, the National Resources Defense Council, a department of the United States government, 44% of foods tested had detectable residues of 19 or more pesticides. European results are similar.
Yet no country requires safety tests for combined pesticide use! As mentioned earlier, this is exactly the same dangerous situation as the fact that no safety tests are required for all possible combinations of food additives, and food additives which includes food flavorings and food processing aids that are all also often found in a single prepared food(See the first page of the E- number guide.)
According to reports by the EPA, the Environmental Protection Agency of the United States government, 50% of the pesticides and 90% of the fungicides now in use have been proven to cause cancer in animal studies. Please note that these reports do not show the possible cancer effects of combined pesticide use, and combined pesticide and fungicide use, which is the usual case for non- organic food.
Very few, if any non- organic foods are sprayed with only one pesticide. The vast majority of food is obviously not tested for their pesticide levels. In Sweden, one sample is tested for every 1,000 tons of grain and one sample is tested for every 250 tons of fruits and vegetables. This is considered internationally as a very high percentage of food tested. Most countries test far less than Sweden.
Note: Even this virtually useless amount of testing is made even less valuable, as written earlier, by the fact that all of the samples are tested for only 239 pesticide residues out of total of over 1100 pesticides used worldwide and of course we have no knowledge of the combined effects of pesticides and possible fungicides that are usually used on one food. For further excellent information on pesticides please go to the excellent website of www.ewg.org
Governments and the food industry often try to “mislead” the public by stating for example “Pesticide use reduced by 20%” or “10,000 kg less pesticides used this year” etc.etc. Statements such as these are purposely deceitful! The kind of pesticide used is often even more important than the amount used.
Non- organic farmers are encouraged to use “low dose” pesticides. These pesticides are often used at one or two grams per liter instead of the normal three-four liters per hectare. But they give the same results! Now you can just imagine how much more deadly they must be.
It is a tragic fact that farmers who have non-organic farms, most of whom lead a “healthy” life full of fresh air and hard work etc., have a three times higher rate of brain tumors, leukemia and non-Hodgkin`s lymphoma and higher rates of cancer of the prostate and stomach than the average person.
In fact farmers belong to the top ten most dangerous jobs in regards to suffering the highest rate of cancer. The other jobs or occupations are painters, welders, shoemakers, asphalt workers, chimney sweeps, hair dressers, and various chemical workers.
Try to avoid buying all foods including " Certified organic "foods from China,India ,Pakistan and Vietnam.The enviroment in which they are grown is unfortunately in these countries often terribly polluted with arsenic cadmium,lead and mercury etc. which then concentrates in the food.
Do not buy any food- including certified organic food- that is packed in tubes where you squeeze out the food.This is often found with baby foods ,mustard ,spreads and tomato paste etc.All of these tubes are lined with dangerous aluminum which then enters the food.See E173 in the Food Additive guide.
Genetically Modified (GMO) Foods
GMO food is also called “Frankenstein” food and for good reason. It is a totally foreign to our bodies and is a totally artificial food that is not found in nature. According to the Institute for Responsible Technology (see below) animals fed GMO crops have suffered the following:
- birth defects
- a five-fold increase in mortality
- lung damage
- significant disruption in the blood and urine chemistry and in organ weights of the kidney and liver
- altered DNA function
- testicular damage and damaged sperm cells
- provocation of the inflammatory response
- altered immune response
- inability to reproduce
- premature births
- lower birth rates
Source: See the three sites given at the end of this section.
GMO crops are genetically designed to withstand vast amounts of deadly pesticides that would easily kill a natural plant. One example is the active ingredient glyphosate in the pesticide (herbicide) “Roundup” created by Monsanto to be used on GMO crops. It has been proven to cause birth defects, DNA damage, endocrine disruption, nerve damage, infertility, sperm destruction, and cancer.
In 2011 over 90% of the following American crops were GMO:
- canola (rapeseed) crop
- corn crop
- cotton (cottonseed oil) crop
- soya bean crop
- sugar beet crop
GMO crookneck squash, papaya and zucchini are also allowed to be grown in the U.S.A. GMO alfalfa has been developed and has been approved for use in the United States, and more GMO crops are continuously being developed and approved.
In the United States all GMO foods do not have to be marked as GMO when sold and it has been estimated that over 80% of American food products contain GMO foods. In 2011 approx. 77% of the world`s soya bean crop was GMO.
It must be understood that soya beans are in virtually every animal feed because of their high protein content at a cheap price (Source: www.resposibletechnology.org).
All non-organic meat such as beef, chicken (and eggs) pork etc in Western countries has come from animals whose diet contains GMO soya beans, and/or GMO corn and/or GMO rapeseed ( canola ) oil. The E.U. has not forbidden the importation of animal and chicken feeds that contain GMO foods.
Note 1: All GMO foods are not forbidden to be imported and sold in the EU. They simply must be marked as such when sold as is the case in Australia, China, and Japan. In Spain it is allowed to grow GMO corn. Germany, Hungry and Ireland have totally forbid the growing of any GMO crop.
Note 2: GMO crops are not allowed to be fed to organically certified animals and poultry. It must also be understood that any product made from a GMO crop such as GMO corn, GMO soya beans or GMO rapeseed is also GMO. This would be the case for example with corn oil, HFCS - high fructose corn syrup (which is found in most soft drinks and colas) and in many other foods, such as soy lecithin, soya oil and canola or rapeseed oil etc.
Virtually all non-organic cheese worldwide that do not use animal rennet use GMO rennet instead. Organic food products are not allowed to contain GMO ingredients and there are non-GMO vegetarian rennets for cheese making available.
- For more information on the dangers of GMO foods please see the excellent sites:
The "Mass Starvation without Pesticides (and without GMO crops) Lie"
Please do not believe that the world must use pesticides (and GMO crops) to feed itself. It does not. These are the reasons why:
- In Australia, Canada, the E.U., New Zealand and the United States, etc. millions of hectares of fertile farmland are left unfarmed with the farmer paid a subsidy not to grow food crops on their land in order to keep the prices high and to avoid “oversupply.”
- Millions of hectares of fertile farmland in Africa and in South America etc. are not farmed because it is cheaper to buy and import the heavily governmental subsidized food that the Western countries produce.
- Millions of hectares of fertile farmland is used to grow non-essential crops such as:
* sugarcane which is then used to make alcohol to be used as biofuels (which are not pollution free!)
* non-edible high starch corn, to be used in making HFC-High Fructose Corn Syrup ,an extremely unhealthy sweetener.
* edible grains used for the production of grain alcohol
- Hundreds of thousands of tons of grains in the U.S.A and in Canada are burnt as fuel in power stations
- Corruption - Corruption is the biggest problem that causes starvation and hunger in the world today. Many poor nations of the world are either corrupt democracies or outright dictatorships, both of which that use their country`s money to buy military equipment and to keep their corrupt leaders wealthy, instead of feeding and taking care of their people.In addition, many of these countries even export food crops (or cash non-food crops where the land could be used to grow food crops for their people instead.)
Note: This is not of course a complete list.
- India- has spent billions of dollars on developing their nuclear bomb and their own space system, has a huge modern army and exports rice and other food crops.
- Pakistan- has also spent billions on developing their nuclear bomb and building up their large modern army and exports rice.
- Burma, Indonesia, the Philippines, and Vietnam- all export food crops and have large modern armies.
- Brazil and Columbia- are major exporter of meat, soya beans, sugar, coffee, and tea etc. and are countries that also have large modern armies.
- West African countries- such as the Gambia, Ivory Coast, Nigeria (sixth highest oil producer in the world with the largest and most modern army in Africa) and Senegal are all major exporter of cocoa, and peanuts etc.
- Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Panama and Peru are major exporters of bananas, coffee, tea, cocoa, meat and tropical fruits etc.
By looking at the military expenses and the kind of “ democratic” governments and “ honest elections” that many nations with hungry and starving people have is where you will often find the real reason for the suffering and starvation in that country.
Note: This is not to say that every country with poor, hungry and starving people are either corrupt democracies or a corrupt dictatorship or that we should not help them even if they are. I am simply stating the point that our world does have the capacity to grow enough organic food to feed all the people on this planet.
After a five year transitional period from a “normal” farm to an organic farm, the average organic farm produce on the average 95% as much as normal farms do. With certain crops, such as with sunflower seeds for example, the organic production even exceeds normal production.
By buying organic food, you are not only buying “health” for yourself and your family, but you are also buying “health” for the producers of that food (by not exposing them to pesticides) and contributing to a more ecologically healthy world.
Please support food that is both organic and Fair Trade to ensure a greater income for the producers of your food.
Note: Do not believe the lie that is so often repeated in the non-organic food industry concerning food products coming from third world countries, such as the ones mentioned above, that these products are always pesticide-free because the farmers there are too poor to afford to buy pesticides!
Pesticides are purposely sold cheaply so that poor farmers in third world countries can afford to buy them! Primitive manually operated hand pump sprayers, combined with a plastic container which is carried on your back, are usually given out free of charge to poor farmers to increase sales.
The fact that virtually all third world countries have no social security system to help poor farmers, make the farmers desperate to spray even more pesticides knowing that the money they need to buy the food to feed their families comes solely from the export crop that they are growing.
Pesticide control and inspection in these corrupt countries exists only on paper! According to the “Global Citizen’s Report on the State of GMO’s,” GMO crops have:
- Not increased yields
- Not increased food production
- Not controlled weeds and pests-in fact they have produced “super weeds.”
- Not produced drought resistance seeds
- Not reduced the use of chemicals on crops
All GMO crops are sprayed with extremely deadly pesticides such as “Roundup” in very high amounts which the plant has been genetically modified to tolerate. If the plant was not genetically modified it would die from this amount of pesticide.
BPA, BPS and Phthalates
Due to the use of dangerous chemicals such as BPA (Bisphenol A) and BPS (Bisphenol S) etc. that are found in the lining of all metal cans and along with phthalates are found in plastics - I am against the eating of all canned food and food that has been packed in plastic containers and am against the drinking of all liquids that have been in a can and plastic bottles whether they be organic or not!
All metal cans are lined with a lining that contains BPA or BPS etc. This lining is often clear so that you cannot see it. It is a scandal that all organic certifying associations allow:
- organic foods and liquids to be packed in metal cans containing BPA or BPS etc. because these chemicals always leeks into the food and liquid.
- organic foods and liquids to be packed in plastic packaging- because all plastics leach out phthalates and other dangerous chemicals including BPA,BPS, adipates, plasticizers and softeners etc. into the food and liquid that is packed in them. Uncolored glass is the safest and most environmentally packaging.
- organic cheeses to be packed and sold in plastic –especially “ cling” plastic- which is the most dangerous plastic of all plastics. The fat of the cheese leaches out the above mentioned deadly chemicals into the cheese. Organic cheese should also not be allowed to be covered in dangerous paraffin, see E905 in the E-number guide, which always enters the cheese to a degree.
- organic meats to be both aged and sold in vacuum packed plastic where both the fat and the blood leaches out the above mentioned deadly chemicals into the meat. Meat has been aged for thousands of years by just allowing the meat to hang (in hygienic storage facilities of course.) Meat should also be only sold in new cellulose packages where the plastic does not touch the meat. (not non-recycled cellulose –to avoid the chemicals that are always present in recycled cellulose and paper).
BPA and BPS have been linked to:
- Aggressiveness and hyperactivity in children
- Breast cancer
- Early puberty
- Erectile dysfunction
- Hormonal imbalance
- Heart disease
- Insulin resistance
- Intestinal damage
- Obesity - BPA and BPS cause an increased output of insulin in the body. High levels of insulin reduces the body`s ability to breakdown fat
- Prostate cancer
Phthalates have been proven to cause:
- Endocrine disruption
- Hormonal imbalance
- Obesity (see above)
Eat only fresh or dried foods or foods that are packed in glass or are frozen but not vacuum packed. Please contact the producers of organic foods in your country and also the organic certification organizations of your own country and demand that they:
- stop certifying organic foods and organic liquids that are packed in cans that leach out deadly chemicals into the food and liquid.
- that they stop using and allowing using all plastics for both the vacuum packing (and for the aging) of organic foods.
- and that that they do not allow PFOA packaging (see the following section)
In all honesty I must say that I believe that BPA and BPS are “only the tip of the iceberg” when it comes to chemicals that are used in the linings in metal cans and all plastics leach out dangerous chemicals. No plastic is inert with no leaching. There is no such thing as a safe plastic for food.
The safest policy for both you and your children is to eat no food-organic or non-organic-that has been packed in metal cans or that has been vacuum packed in plastic or that has been aged in vacuum pack plastic. Try to eat only fresh organic food or organic food that is safely preserved through safe methods such as glass packaging, drying or freezing etc.
The EU has forbidden BPA to be used in plastic milk bottles for babies but has not forbidden BPS which has the exact same dangerous health effects!
Perfluorooctanoic acid or PFOA is a dangerous chemical that is found in grease and water resistant fast food packaging such as ( including organic food -ask the company):
- candy bar wrappers
- hamburger paper wraps from fast food businesses
- hamburger boxes from fast food businesses
- microwave popcorn bags
- paper cups
- paper forms for cupcakes and for muffins etc.
- paper plates
- paper containers and bags used for French fries from fast food businesses
- pizza boxes from fast food businesses etc.
- potato chip bags
PFOA is also found in:
- carpet and floor cleaners (use natural environmentally friendly products instead.
- certain brands of dental floss
Ask the company to reply to you in a letter as to if their dental floss is made with Teflon or PTFE fibers.
See the section: “Dental Floss” for safe substitutes.
Non-stick cookware such as Teflon, which is often claimed to be PFOA free, because it contains PTFE-Polytetrafluoroethylene. However PTFE does contain PFOA and when heated also breaks down into PFOA.
Stain resistant bedding, clothing, furniture fabrics, and carpets etc.
PFOA`s are found in all the following brand-names:
For more important information on PFOA please see the excellent site: www. ewg.org.
PFOA has been proven to cause:
- Birth defects
- Immune suppression
- and cancer of the breast, liver, pancreas, prostate and testicles
The EPA, the Environmental Protection Agency, which is a department of the United States government, has classified PFOA as a carcinogen-a cancer causing agent.
As mentioned before,do not buy any foods-including those certified as organic-if they are in a tube where you squeeze out the food.This is often the case with baby foods,bread spreads,mustard and tomato paste. All tubes are lined with dangerous aluminum which contaminates the food.For the dangerous effects of aluminum see E173 in the Food Additive Guide.
3. Healthy (and EASY) Exercise
All forms of exercise have been proven to:
- Decrease depression
- Decrease the harmful effects of stress
- Increase cardio-vascular performance
- Increase positive mental health
- Increase your immune response
- Increase your learning ability and memory
A little known fact is that the best proven exercise for increased overall muscular strength and:
- Increased overall endurance
- Increased overall agility
- Increased cardiac health
- Increased circulation
and the exercise that produces the highest continual weight loss is brisk walking! Yes it is true and it is that easy.
In order to achieve the above results, brisk walking -which means fast walking but still being able to hold a conversation and with arm movement also- must be done for at least thirty minutes per day.
The same results are achieved even if the thirty minutes, is broken into two periods times of fifteen minutes each with even a five minutes resting time in between. Walking poles can also be bought to make sure that you stretch out your arms and are especially helpful for older people.
Note: It is counterproductive to walk (or bike, jog or run etc.) by the side of a busy road, where you continuously breathe in deadly exhaust fumes. The countryside or a park is the best area, or at least pick a light trafficked side street. Take a friend, or a dog, or your friend`s dog or both along with you when you walk!
If you listen to music while walking-just listen without a headset. (See the sections: “Electromagnetic Fields (EMF’s)” and “Mobile Phones, Cordless Indoor Phones and Wireless Products.”)
For more of a workout, try to join a team club of any sport, where exercise becomes fun and not boring. It is also a great way to make new friends.
4. A Healthy Mental Attitude
Never underestimate the power of the mind to both heal and create disease. Placebos ( inert substances such as water pills etc. that have been proven to have no medical effect whatsoever) have been shown in countless studies to either cure or result in major health improvements in at least 1/3 of the sick people they were given to. Some studies report a rating as high as 70%.
Experiments have shown that negative emotions such as anger, anxiety, depression hatred, hostility and jealousy, greatly suppress immune cell function and greatly lower immune response levels. People who are hostile or have suppressed anger have been found to have much higher levels of heart disease and are much more likely to have heart attacks.
A twenty-five year old study of 255 doctors of the University of North Carolina Medical School, showed that those doctors with high hostility scores, had four times as much heart disease and a six times higher death rate than those doctors who did not have high hostility scores.( Source:see "Note.") There exist many such similar studies.
All the before mentioned negative emotions cause a rapid and greatly increased adrenalin release. This can and does lead to the creation of adrenalin exhaustation, panic attacks, phobias, migraine headaches and various mental health disorders.
All these negative emotions also cause high blood pressure, which is a major factor in heart disease, heart attacks and strokes. These emotions also have been proven to greatly increase cortisol levels which suppress the immune system. This can lead to, and/or contribute to the creation of cancers and other deadly diseases.
Please note that there are documented scientific facts and are not my opinions. On the other hand, when people were tested while laughing, playing with a child or petting and talking to their pet, their levels of:
- Killer- T- Cells
- and white blood cells
in their blood rose dramatically.
These three agents are critically important to our health and are our body´s major defenses against bacterial and viral infections, cancers and various other diseases.
Note: The source of much of the information for this chapter came from the excellent book: “What you don´t know, may be killing you” by Dr. Don Colbert M.D. I strongly recommend this book and all his books, although as one an easily see I disagree with some of his dietary recommendations.
I am not a psychologist, nor am I a pastor, but I am totally convinced that achieving positive mental health can be very much helped by simply trying to live by these three guidelines, (which I am sure that all the world`s religions and atheists would have no problem agreeing with) which were given by Jesus:
- Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Just treat other people the way you would want to be treated if you were in their situation.
- If you want to be forgiven, then you must forgive. Everyone in this world has hurt other people as well as having been hurt themselves, and we cannot expect to be forgiven if we do not forgive.
- Stop looking at the speck of dust in your brother´s eye and pay attention to the plank of wood in your own eye.In other words, spend less time criticizing others and spend more time on making yourself a better and more caring person.
I also strongly believe that it would be of great benefit to everyone, to do some free volunteer work on a regular basis, even if it is only a couple of hours per month. Helping the old, sick, poor or needy is not only a blessing for them; it is also a blessing for the one helping.
By helping someone less fortunate than ourselves, it not only “feels good” but much more importantly puts our own life and the problems we have into proper perspective. Helping people less fortunate than ourselves, makes us truly realize just how much we have to be grateful for and how there is always someone who has more serious problems than yourself. It is truly in helping others, that we ourselves are also helped.
5. A Healthy Home and Work Environment
“A fifteen year long study by the University of Oregon, U.S.A, found that the risk of dying of cancer for housewives is twice that of working women.” The above quote was taken from the excellent book: “Home, Safe Home” by Debra Lynn Dadd. I cannot recommend this book too highly!
This book lists, in an easy to read, calm manner, many of the dangers (and their safe substitutes) that are found in the average home. Many “recipes” are given for safe products that can easily be made by home and a list of companies (American) and their addresses are given for many products.
After having read this amazing, life saving book I contacted the author and discussed with her my comments about where I disagreed with her. Virtually all of my disagreements came from new information that only became known after the book was published. I spoke with her on the telephone about my disagreements and she agreed with me regarding all my comments.
Please note that just because there exist a few new facts mentioned below, this in no way takes away from sheer brilliance of the book that contains thousands of valid well researched and indexed facts. Try your hardest to get this fantastic book!
Note: My comments are based on first edition of this book.
The author has after this book published another book entitled: “Toxic Free.” This book repeats the same basic information but unfortunately in much less detail and fact and unfortunately also recommends the substance zeolite to reduce toxins in the body. Zeolite does not reduce toxins in the body and is harmful when it is in a dry form and breathed in.
She also mistakenly writes that anodized aluminum cookware does not leach out aluminum into the food cooked in it. It leaches out less aluminum than normal aluminum cookware but it still leaches out aluminum and should not be used.
She also recommends the following “natural sweeteners” (as many other health food writers unfortunately do): organic barley malt, organic brown rice syrup, and organic coconut or palm sugar. As written in the chapter “Sugars” –all of these sweeteners have the exact same health destroying effects in the body as normal white sugar.
She also has a superb website under her name, but I strongly disagree with her about her recommendation of silicone pots and her criticism of stainless steel pots which she mentions on her website. I do however fully agree with her that glass pots are the absolute healthiest and best.
Avoid using the following products that are mentioned in the first edition of her book:
- Non-organic citrus peels. (See E231, E232 in the E number guide).
- Parabens (See E214- E219).
- Lemon oil has been declared by the F.D.A., the Food and Drug Agency of the United States government, to be a cancer causing agent. Lemon oil is pressed from the peel only. Lemon juice and the lemon fruit are healthy, so long as you are not allergic to citrus fruits of course.
- Crystal deodorants.(See E173)
- Aluminum foil. (See E173)
- Toilet paper made from recycled paper. Up to 80% of the chemicals found in magazines, newspaper and paper are found in the finished toilet paper made from this recycled paper.These chemicals have caused everything from itchiness, burning, swelling to serious skin diseases. Recycled paper is excellent for paper and packing materials etc. but only use toilet paper that is made from new cellulose fiber not from recycled fiber or recycled paper. Use only toilet paper that is uncolored and unscented as these chemicals have caused health disorders also.
- Petroleum jelly. (See E905)
- Nitrates and Nitrites (See E249- E252)
- BHA (See E320) and BHT (See E321)
- Alginates (See E401- E405)
- Carrageenan (See E407)
- Guar Gum (See E412)
- Tragacanth (See E418)
- Do not give any honey of any kind to infants under one year old because of the danger of infant botulism.
- The only fatty fish rich in EPA and DHA that have been found to be low in mercury are wild Pacific salmon and fresh sardines. (See the section “Healthy Fats”)
- Do not eat smoked foods. (See the section: “Unhealthy Health foods.”)
- Do not use microwave ovens. Microwave ovens create abnormal amino-acid combinations not found in nature, with totally unknown effect ,destroy phytonutrients such as antioxidants in foods and cause the leaching of dangerous chemicals such as adipates, phthalates, plasticizers and softeners from plastic containers and plastic coverings into food.
- Avoid eating, as far as possible, figs, peanuts and peanut butter and pistachio nut because of their extremely high aflatoxin levels, even if they are organic (See the section: “Fruit Warnings”).
- Avoid all forms of alcohol as much as possible(See the section: “Alcohol and Red Wine”).
- Avoid these supplements: bone meal, desiccated liver, minerals from ancient sea beds and wheat germ oil (See the section on “Unhealthy Health Foods”).
- Avoid all synthetic flavors and all “natural flavors(See the first page of the E number guide).
- The Vitamin B 12 that is found in any non-animal food such as in. chlorella or any kind of algae, kelp, miso, seaweed, sauerkraut, spirulina and sunflower seeds etc. is not absorbed by humans. All vegans-both men and women- must take a vitamin B 12 supplement. See the section: “Extremely Important Note for Vegans”.
- Virtually all wool rugs (both Persian etc. and normal wool carpeting) are mothproofed by the use of deadly chemicals, even if you cannot smell these dangerous chemicals-although it often smells horrible in the woolen rug section. The fact that the rug has been mothproofed does not have to be legally written on the label, and never is. Avoid all new woolen carpets and rugs. If you must have a Persian rug or wool rug etc. buy a used one and wash it well with a natural environmentally friendly fragrance free carpet wash. (See the section: “Carpet and Rugs” below for more information)
Note: Both this excellent book which provided much of the information for this section “A Healthy Home and Work Environment” and this section itself can easily be overwhelming in the vast amount of very important information that it contains.
This can cause the reader to just give up and not even try to create a healthier home and workplace. Do not let this happen to you! Just calmly read one section at a time and try to change your home and workplace through that one section at a time.
Accept the fact that all the changes that you personally will want to do will take time and patience and cannot simply done overnight. The important thing is to start with something which you feel is important for you to do and which you have both the time and energy to do without feeling overwhelmed by it and possibly becoming depressed or apathetic.
It is not my intention to list all the life-saving tremendously, valuable information in this book. Debra has already done that in a clear concise and easily read book and in a much better way that I could ever hope to do so. But for those people who do not have access to this fantastic book, here is a “brief” summary of the worst offenders (They are not listed in order of importance).
Carpets and Rugs
Synthetic carpets and rugs can contain as many as 120 different chemicals. This list includes:
- Antimicrobials (never buy shoes and running shoes etc. that have antimicrobial “treated” soles)
- Neurotoxin solvents such as toluene and xylone
- and acrylic oligomers etc.
I will not list the deadly health effect of all these chemicals because of all the space that would take (although Debra does in her book) but you can always simply look them up yourself. The consumer has absolutely no idea what chemicals are in a synthetic carpet because they do not have to tell you.
But as you will find out, in addition to the dangerous chemicals added, virtually all the synthetic fibers themselves that are used to make the carpet or rug itself are also dangerous for your health. Buy only carpeting and rugs made from untreated natural fibers such as cotton, jute, sisal, coconut and sea grass etc.
Ask the producer to reply in a letter if the carpeting or rug has been treated with any chemicals such as any anti-mildew chemicals, mothproofing chemicals, and stain proof chemicals etc. If it has, do not buy it. As mentioned many times before, a letter is a legal document, a telephone call or an e-mail is not and they know it.
All new carpets made of synthetic fibers release volatile organic compounds (VOCs.) (See also the section: “Air Fresheners.”) VOCs virtually always include formaldehyde and acetelhyde.
Formaldehyde and formaldehyde fumes, which are odorless, have been proven to cause: birth defects, cancer and DNA damage as well as coughing, swelling of the throat, watery eyes, breathing problems, headache, rashes, tiredness, nausea insomnia, disorientation, asthmatic attacks and nosebleeds etc.
Acetelhyde which have been shown to cause: accumulation of fluid in the lungs, cancer, chronic respiratory disease, delirium hallucinations, and kidney and liver disease, as well as dizziness, drowsiness, eye and throat irritation, headaches and nausea.
Do not buy any new carpeting or rug - even if is made of untreated natural fibers - if it has a latex backing.
All carpet latex is either a synthetic compound or a combination synthetic /natural compound.
Both of these latexes and all the above mentioned chemicals these dangerous chemicals used, outgas dangerous odorless fumes which you cannot smell, yet still affect you.
Do not buy any new wool rugs whether modern or Persian etc., small or large. All new wool rugs are treated with dangerous mothproofing chemicals. If you absolutely must have a Persian rug or woolen carpet etc., buy a used one and wash it with a safe environmentally friendly carpet wash containing no fragrances etc.
Companies that make untreated wool carpeting and rugs and safe untreated natural rugs and carpeting can be found on the net.
Furniture, Sofas, Cushions and Bed Mattresses (Including Crib Mattresses for Babies)
Normal furniture, sofas, cushions and bed mattresses are made with polyurethane foam. This foam provides the filling in sofas and is found in all normal bed mattresses including those with metal coils. Some bed mattresses consist entirely of just polyurethane foam. This foam is then covered or put in a cover that contains either
acrylic, polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or polyester fibers etc. that has then been coated with formaldehyde and/or PFOA (see the section: “Food Packaging”) to make it stain proof etc.
Under the chairs, sofas and bed mattresses there is even more polyurethane foam and sheet plastics (made from PVC) that are cushioning the springs and corners.
Once again, all these chemicals release odorless fumes which are dangerous to our health. Polyurethane foam fumes have caused eye problems, skin disorders, coughing and releases toluene diisocanate which can produce severe lung problems. The synthetic fibers used in the furniture and bed mattress coverings are: (Note: This is not a complete list):
- Acrylic and acrylic fumes, which are odorless, have caused vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, breathing difficulties, fatigue and headaches as well as being a suspected cancer causing agent.
- Formaldehyde (See the previous section: “Carpets and Rugs”)
- Polyvinyl chloride (PVC)
PVC always releases vinyl chloride fumes which have been proven to cause birth defects, cancer, DNA-damage, Raynaud’s disease, stomach pain, chronic bronchitis, ulcers, and numbness in the fingers, allergic skin disorders and mucous-membrane dryness. PVC fumes smell like a new car smells because of the large amount of PVC used in throughout the interior of a new car.
Try to always buy a new car that has been in the showroom where it has “aired” for a while, or at least drive with the widows open as much as possible.
Polyester and polyester fumes are also odorless and can cause acute dermatitis, eye irritation and respiratory throat irritation.
One inexpensive healthy alternative is to buy a futon mattress which is a Japanese sofa and bed mattress combination that simply uses cotton as a filling.
Note: Make sure that there is not a roll of synthetic fiber placed deep in the cotton filling. This is done sometimes to make the futon more firm without using more cotton which is much more expensive than synthetic fibers. Once again, ask the manufacturers to reply in writing (see the information on carpets) if the outer coverings have been treated with any chemicals whatsoever. Many futons have untreated 100 % cotton outside covering.
The easiest, best and cheapest solution is to buy used furniture and if it is necessary to replace both the outside covering material and the inside foam stuffing with natural untreated: cotton, coconut fiber, horse hair, jute, kapok, or sisal etc.
However there are many companies that do make new and safe carpets, bed mattresses and furniture-simply look on the net. Bed mattresses are also made from exactly the same polyurethane foam and contain exactly the same dangerous chemicals as furniture and in addition are often treated with dangerous fire retardants, which release even more dangerous and odorless fumes.
One commonly used flame retardant are PBDE’s (Polybrominated diphenyl ethers) which are also commonly used on curtains, drapes and upholstery also. They are absorbed through inhalation and have been shown to cause learning and memory problems, lowered sperm counts, poor thyroid functioning, and cancer.
Note 1: Approximately 98% of all deaths from home fires are due to smoke inhalation not to burning. Fire retardants do not prevent the treated material from still giving off dangerous toxic smoke fumes when they come into contact with fire even if they do not catch on fire. Fire retardants are too little, too late and too dangerous.
Note 2: Be aware of an old trick that many companies use. Many companies make a bed mattress that states on the label or in its advertising that it is only made from, or only contains: “100% Natural latex” or simply: “Natural latex.” It is very expensive to make a bed mattress that is truly made from 100% natural latex.
Ask the company to send you a letter answering your question if any other substances besides 100% natural latex are in the mattress (Always remember that a letter is a legal document and that an e-mail or conversation is not!). In the vast majority of cases you will get either no response or that 50%-80% or so of the mattress is made out of (dangerous) polyurethane foam and the remaining 20% or so is made out of 100% natural latex.
As with carpets and rugs, goggle for companies that make and that sell safe furniture and safe bed mattresses made out of untreated natural fibers and for Japanese futons.
Even another ( ! ) dangerous health problem with new furniture , bed frames, book shelves, bureaus, cribs, cabinets, flooring , shelving and tables etc. is that they are virtually always (unless made from solid wood pieces) made from particle board and/ or plywood that has been carefully covered with a veneer of thin natural wood.
Particle board and plywood always outgas formaldehyde (See the section “Carpets and Rugs" for the dangerous effects of formaldehyde). The veneer covering does not prevent the formaldehyde from out gassing.
Try to buy only new untreated solid wood products and lacquer, varnish or oil them yourself with a safe lacquer, varnish or oil or at least, buy the oldest solid wood products as possible.
The new “odorless” lacquers, varnishes and oils that are being produced for wood floors and other wood products are odorless but still give off dangerous fumes, we just cannot smell them. Normal paints continue to give off harmful vapors for at least 30 days with lower levels still being given off for up to 1 year.
The German companies: “Auros” and “Livos” make safe paints, varnishes, oils and finishing products etc. for wood and other materials./Note: I have absolutely no connection to these companies or to any company mentioned in this book/. Of course you could just also buy older used furniture but be aware it can be 5 years before the formaldehyde has fully out gassed.
Avoid using all plastic floor materials- especially vinyl flooring and a vinyl floor tiles- because of the extremely dangerous PVC and phthalates they contain and release into the air. For the dangerous effects of phthalates see the section: “Food Packaging.”
All plastics outgas dangerous plastic fumes which sometimes smell and sometimes are odorless, depending on the kind of plastic used. Use unlacquered solid wood floor materials, and lacquer them yourself with a safe product or use brick, ceramic tile, stone tiles, or untreated cork that is not preglued and always use safe non-toxic glue.
More Home Plastics
Virtually all wallpaper is treated with a dangerous PVC (See the section “Carpets and Rugs”) plastic coating to make it washable and is preglued or backed with glues that also emit odorless, dangerous fumes for months. The best is to paint with a safe natural paint such as the paints made by the excellent companies Auro or Livos./Note: Once again, I have absolutely no connection to these companies or to any company mentioned in this book/.
If you must use wallpaper, make sure it is not preglued and only made from 100% untreated paper - by asking the company to reply in a letter that it truly is untreated etc. - and use only nontoxic glue that states that it is nontoxic on the label (Always remember that a letter is a legal document and that an e-mail or conversation is not).
- Plastic light fixtures, plastic window blinds and curtains with synthetic fibers all get heated from either the sun or electric bulbs etc. which causes them to release even more toxic odorless fumes. Use glass, metal or untreated wood light fixture and blinds and only have curtains made from only untreated 100% natural fibers. (See the section on “Clothing”)
- Shower curtains are very often made with PVC. Buy only shower curtain made of natural fibers.
Plants that Clean the Air
Many studies have shown that indoor air is often even more polluted than outside air!
Please note that because we humans have a very poor sense of smell - we cannot smell these extremely unhealthy pollutants. Three of the most common are:
- Formaldehyde - which is given off by carpets, upholstery and the glues used in all furniture, cabinets and particle board etc.
- Benzene - which is given off by plastics and synthetic fibers etc.
- Trichloroethylene - which is given off many cleaners and also glues etc..
It is therefore important to open your window as often as comfortable and to buy plants to clean the air.
Plants can clean your indoor airto a very great extent depending of course on how many you have.
There are many plants that do an excellent of cleaning the air but I will write about the four plants that are the most powerful at cleaning the air and are easy to care for and are inexpensive to buy. Buy the largest ones you can afford and clean the dust off their leaves on a regular basis:
- Snake Plant - Sansevieria Trifasscinata - or "Mother-in-law's tongue" - or "Svärmors Tunga" in Swedish
- English Ivy - Hedera Helix or "Murgröna" in Swedish
- Peace Lily - Spathiphylium Mauna Loa or "Fredskalla" in Swedish
- Chrysanthemum - or "Krysanthemum" in Swedish
Clothing and Textiles
Try to buy all clothing, bed sheets, blankets, curtains and especially baby clothes, baby covers, and baby blankets etc. out of only 100% natural fiber such as 100% (organic) untreated cotton, hemp, linen, silk or wool.
Regardless of what salespeople might tell you, silk is always treated with formaldehyde- unless it specifically says in writing on the selling tag that it is not- and like all clothing and all of the above items must be washed first before used. (See the information on washing all new clothes later on in this section.) Not only is it extremely important to avoid the dangerous odorless fumes given off by synthetic fibers (see the section: “Furniture and Bed Mattresses”) but it is even more important to avoid wearing clothes made of them because your skin has direct contact with these extremely unhealthy synthetic fibers.
Note 1: Buy only the above listed products that do not have the following terms printed on their labels:
- Permanent press
- Shrink proof etc.
If the label contains any of these terms the product does contain some kind of synthetic fibers even if the label has 100% cotton etc. written on it! The company has simply intertwined the synthetic fiber with or around the 100% natural fiber.
Note 2: All waterproof and water resistant boots, clothing, rain wear, shoes and sports equipment etc. –such as Gortex etc. - contain dangerous perfluorinated compounds (PFL’s) that contain perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA.). To read about the dangers of PFOA see the section “Food Packaging”. Some companies, such as Hessnatur –see below- make waterproof organic clothing by using natural waxes and oils.
Note 3: I have absolutely no connection to this company or to any company mention in this book.
Note 4: Never wear any new clothing before washing it! All new clothes, including undergarments, are treated with extremely dangerous chemicals such as formaldehyde etc. before shipping to keep their shape, to prevent creasing and wrinkling etc. and to create a “ shiny and new” look.
New clothing is also treated with dangerous: phthalates, trichloroethylene and NPE’s-nonylphenol ethoxylates which break down into hormone disrupting chemicals that accumulate in the body. In fact, many dermatologists recommend that all new clothes and even blankets etc. be washed at least once to remove these dangerous chemicals before using.
Note 5: Even 100% natural fiber clothes and even 100% organic fiber clothing can be treated for shipping unless the company specifically states in their advertising, or on the clothing label, or to you personally in a letter that they do not.
There are many companies on the net that sell organic clothing. One company that I have dealt that makes only untreated certified organic clothing as well as bed linens etc. is the company: “Hessnatur.” This company sells almost exclusively through mail orders, but do have a few stores in Germany - See www.hessnatur.com.
Note 6: I have absolutely no connection to this company or to any company mention in this book.
Another way to obtain safe clothing – and to save money- is to only buy used clothing which of course you should also wash to make sure that it is absolutely clean.
Note 7: Women should avoid wearing tight fitting bras. They have also been shown to cause painful breast cysts and lumps. A tight fitting bra can cut off lymph drainage which can contribute to the cause of breast cancer (Source: “The Prevention and Complementary Treatment of Breast Cancer” by Dr.Michael Schacter M.D).
Special Notes for Rooms for Babies and Children
The immune system in a baby and a child is not well developed until at least 7 years old and not completely developed until twelve years old- and both because of this and because of their rapid cell growth and because of their low body weight, chemicals and odorless dangerous fumes will have much greater effect on them than on an adult.
It is critically important that you think of this when “decorating” both your child´s room and your child (and your home and yourself!). Please read or re-read the previous sections to understand the following very important information and the healthy substitutes that are available.
Please pay very careful attention to these extremely important recommendations-your child`s health depends on it!
-Try to only feed your baby organic food free of all food additives including all flavours and not packed in any kind of plastic or in soft metal tubes.These tubes are always lined with dangerous aluminium which then enters the food.See E173 in the Food Additive Guide for the dangerous effects of aluminum.
-Do not paint with normal paint, lacquer the floors with normal lacquer, or put in any plastic flooring such as vinyl flooring, vinyl floor tiles etc., or use any veneer wooden floor panels, particle board, plywood, or put up normal wallpaper in your child’s room.
- Do not put in rugs, carpeting or curtains made from synthetic fibers.
- Do not use a brand new crib, new bed, or new mattress for your child unless it comes from a company making safe products.
- Do not have any lamps, lightshades, light fixtures or venetian blinds or any blinds made out of any kind of plastic whatsoever in your child’s ( or your!) room.
All of these products become heated and release even more odorless toxic fumes.
I know that these are a huge number of recommendations, but please make the extra effort to produce the healthiest possible environment for your child- and yourself. The present and future health of your child is largely up to you.
Buy only 100% natural untreated cotton etc. clothing, bed sheets, blankets, crib covers, and curtains etc that do not have non-iron, perm press, shrink proof etc. written on the label.
Make sure that none of the above items are treated with dangerous fire retardants chemicals. Once again, 98% of all deaths due to home fires- including that of children- are caused by smoke inhalation and not the fire.
All synthetic fibers release dangerous toxic smoke when coming into contact with fire even if they do not catch on fire. They are extremely dangerous to the health of your child. In an American test 80% of the cushions and mattresses in:
- baby car seats
- baby carrier cushions
- changing table pads
- crib mattresses
- high chair cushions
- and nursing pillows contained dangerous flame retardant chemicals which accumulate in the tissues of babies.
One-third of the of the 101 products tested contained the proven cancer causing chemical chlorinated TRIS (2, 3,-dibromopropyl phosphate.) that had been forbidden to be used in children`s clothing! These fire retardant chemicals consist of brominated and chlorinated compounds that are added to the polyurethane filling or stuffing in these baby products.
These chemicals leak from the polyurethane filling and the baby can inhale them or absorb them through the skin. When buying the above products look for products that have only natural material fillings or at least polyester. Fire retardants are generally not added to polyester as it has a normal fire retardant effect by itself (Source: “Array of Flame Retardants Found in Baby Car Seats, Changing Pads, and other Items”: www organic consumer.org).
If in doubt ask the manufacturer of the product (not the store selling the item) to answer you in a letter if any fire retardants or if any chemicals are used in either the filling or the cover of the product. As said so many times, before always remember that a letter is a legal document and an e-mail or telephone are not.
Use only glass milk bottles-even if the plastic milk bottle has non-toxic plastic and/or BHP – free written on it. Plastic bottles release many other dangerous chemicals besides BPA and BPS. All plastic milk bottles contain BPA or BPS etc. - See the section: “Food Packaging”.
All plastics bottles and plastic containers leach out dangerous adipates, phthalates, plasticizers and softeners into the liquid or food that they contain. No plastic container is totally inert with no leaching whatsoever, regardless of what various companies might say!
Use only glass containers that do not have a plastic ring (or if they do-make sure that the food does not come into contact with it). Unlined stainless steel food containers are also safe for both your baby’s food and for your food. Use only 100% natural latex nipples, pacifiers, sippy cups and teething rings.
Note: The label must say 100% natural latex or else it will contain BPA or BPS etc.
Try to buy as few plastic toys as possible-especially soft plastic toys- and buy untreated wooden or natural fiber toys instead. Always remember that babies put everything in their mouth!
At least make sure that the plastic toys has a label stating that non-toxic colors have been used and that it has been inspected and/ or guaranteed by some control agency whose name is also states on the label. Try to buy dolls, and teddy bears etc made of 100% natural, untreated fibers.
If any of these products are unavailable where you live then search the net for them-they are widely available.
Many companies on the net send by mail. See also the excellent site: www.healthystuff.com for information on healthy toys and for information on many other subjects for a safe home.
Use crayons made from beeswax, not from paraffin, and which contain non-toxic colors. Do not your children play with colored toy jewelry. They are usually colored with a color containing lead. This lead transfers to the skin even if the color itself does not so you cannot see it.
Note: When it is time for your baby, infant or child to go to sleep, take out all of the plastic and/or synthetic fiber containing items such as crayons, games, stuffed animals, and toys etc. out of the bedroom to avoid dangerous odorless fumes from building up and concentrating in a confined space where your child is sleeping. Do not let your child sleep in an odorless and invisible dangerous chemical fog!
Do not allow your child to keep a wired laptop (never use an unwired laptop) computer or printer etc. in their room while they are asleep and never allow the child to use it while it is on their lap (See the section: “Mobile Phones, Cordless Indoor Phones, and Wireless Products” and the section: “Electromagnetic Fields (EMF`s)”.
Laptops and all computers and printers etc. always create and release dust containing dangerous chemicals and fire retardants as well as chemical fumes. It is a good idea to simply wipe off all laptops, computers and printers etc. (and to shake out the rag outside) on a daily basis to avoid dust buildup -which of course you do inhale even if you do not notice it.
Try to have the room as electric free as possible. Use a battery operated bedroom clock instead of an electric one.
I strongly believe that children should not be allowed to use mobile phones. (See the section: “Mobile Phones, Cordless Indoor Phones, and Wireless Products” and the section: “Electromagnetic Fields (EMF`s)”.
Normal disposable diapers always contain deodorizing chemicals, plastic fibers, and bleached paper that often contains dioxins etc. But there are some companies that make a safe untreated organic cotton outer diaper, with a disposable safe natural fiber inner diaper. These are very much cheaper than the normal disposable diapers. One of the companies making this product is Imse Vimse. /Note: As always, I have absolutely no connection to this company or to any company mentioned in this book/.
Use no or as few baby products, on your child, as possible, even if they are organic and/or certified by some agency (Please read the very important information in the section on body care products).
Note: Never ever use talcum powder! (See E553b in the E number guide) on your baby or on yourself! All talcum powders contain either asbestos fibers or fibers that are similar to asbestos. These are always inhaled and are a proven cancer-causing substance!
Once again, I know that these are a huge number of recommendations, but please make the extra effort to produce the healthiest possible environment for your child. The present and future health of your child is largely up to you.
Normal cleaning products contain volatile organic compounds (VOC)(See the section: “Air fresheners”). Use only non-toxic environmentally safe cleaners for floors, toilet cleaners, wash powder for clothes and dishwashing liquid etc. The superb site: ewg.org contains both an excellent test of safe cleaners and very important explanation of the many dangerous chemicals commonly found in everyday household cleaners.
Note 1: One excellent company in Europe making all excellent and safe household cleaners is “Sonett” although for dishes I only recommend their “Neutral” dishwashing liquid-which is their only one without any essential oils.. This is because that for dishes it is important that no fragrances are used (even if they are from “natural essential oils”) because of the residues that might be left on the dishes which you then of course consume. Sonett products are available throughout Europe. Another excellent product is "Attitude" dishwashing liquid - and once again - only the one without essential oils.
Note 2: I have absolutely no connection to this company or to any of the companies mentioned in this book.
Many natural dishwashing liquids contain herbal oils –often citrus oils such as lemon oil etc.-to create a scent. These products are not recommended as many herbal oils –even if organic-are not healthy or even safe if their residues happen to be left on dishes. Look up all herbal oils and all cosmetic ingredients under: www.ewg.org/skindeep. See also the very important note about this site on the first page of the E-number guide.
Replacements for Dangerous “Normal” Products and Safe Home Tips
All air fresheners (even the ones claiming to use only a “natural” smell) contain dangerous chemicals named volatile organic compounds (VOCs) which remain hanging in the air, whether they are in a spray or in a “plug-in” form which you breathe in.(The word organic in the term VOCs has nothing of course to do with organically grown food etc.) All air fresheners do not “get rid” of odors, they simply substitute their own. Among the most common volatile chemicals found in air fresheners are the extremely dangerous chemicals acetelhyde, cresol, formaldehyde, naphthalene, phenol, pthalates, and xylene. Volatile organic compounds can cause:
- Memory impairment
Instead of using air fresheners, use a mixture of dried herbs such as cinnamon powder, crushed cloves, dried orange peel, lavender, or peppermint etc. or simply open a window.
Do not use any products containing ammonia. Ammonia fumes are extremely dangerous. Using a safe detergent and hot water will get rid of the bacteria and the mould and mildew just as well. Keep all mould and mildew problem areas as dry as possible, as they need dampness to survive.
Battery Powered Smoke Detectors
Replace battery powdered smoke detectors with photoelectric ones. If you look at the bottom of the battery ones, you will see a warning sign for radioactive material. You are exposed to this same material.
Replace all “clay” or “sand” cat sand with cat sand products that are made from the products of the pulp and paper industry. These products are made in pellets. Virtually all cat sands are made from clay and sand products that contain asbestos-like fibers or actual asbestos fibers. Even if the product has “Contain no Asbestos” printed on the label, they still almost always contain asbestos- like fibers. These fibers are highly dangerous for not only your cat but for you also.
Note: Pregnant women should never empty “used” cat sand! “Used” cat sand could contain toxoplasmosis, which can cause birth defects. If you cannot get someone else to empty the cat sand, than at least wear disposable gloves and throw the gloves away each time they are used, and wash your hands afterwards. Make sure that the gloves do not contain powder. (See E553b in the E number guide).
For the same reason all pregnant must use disposable gloves if they work in the garden and wash their hands well afterwards.
Chemical Spot and Stain Removers
Chemical spot removers contain a host of dangerous chemicals including volatile organic compounds (VOC)(See the section on: “Air Fresheners.”). All chemical spot removers can either be replaced by environmentally safe ones, or by natural substances such as a using a combination of baking soda, lemon juice and vinegar etc.
Google for the various recipes of safe natural stain removers.
Drain cleaners contain a host of deadly chemicals which can easily be seen by just reading the label! Both the fumes and the liquid or powder itself are extremely dangerous! For a safe drain cleaner use a mixture of ½ baking soda and ½ vinegar. After using this mixture, pour boiling water down the drain, and then follow by using a plunger.
The fumes from dry cleaned clothes and other items are extremely dangerous! Virtually all “Dry clean only” clothes etc. can be washed on the delicate or gentle cycle using a mild soap based detergent, and by hanging them to dry.
If you feel that you must use dry-cleaning; take the plastic off and let it “gas out” for at least 48 hours on the balcony, in the garage, in the attic if it has a window that can be left open , or in a closed off room - in which no-one lives –with a window that can be left open.
These are only necessary if you use clothes etc containing synthetic fibers such as acryl and, polyester etc. (For the effect of synthetic fibers both when breathed and upon skin contact, please see the section: “Furniture and Bed Mattresses”). Simply adding baking soda in the rinse cycle will have the same effect.
If you feel that must use them, wash all your synthetic fiber containing clothes separately and use an unscented product.
Note: If suffering from any skin disorder you must avoid all fabric softeners, scented washing powder, spray starches and chemical commercial spot removers. Find an unscented environmentally friendly wash powder that has been approved by an allergy and/or skin disorder association.
Flea Collars, Flea Powders and Flea Bombs
These products are dangerous for both your pet and for you by creating a continuous poisonous fog around your pet. Instead of using them, simply rub ground cloves onto your pet and wash your pet´s sleeping area and sleeping linen frequently.
Feeding your pet a nutritional supplement which contains B Vitamins will also discourage fleas due to the odor they create. This is an odor which humans cannot detect, but that the fleas can and dislike.
Any vegetable oil makes an excellent and safe furniture polish.
Try to replace all gas appliances with electric ones. Gas always leaks out to some degree.
Insecticides and Pesticides
Use no insecticides or pesticides, including the “safe” ones sold in your grocery store! There exists a whole host of natural herbs and essential oils that work just as well and often even better and are safe. Simply look on the net using the name of the insect.
Some examples are:
- Bay leaves against roaches (or buy a non-chemical roach trap). If you pack your garbage in a container with a tight lid and empty it regularly, and put all your dried food in glass containers with a tight lid,and keep all areas clean, you will eliminate the food and the reason for roaches and other insects that “visit” you looking for food.
- Ground red chili peppers or cayenne works well against ants.
- Planting garlic (as well as eating it!) will discourage mosquitoes.
To safely clean all silver items-add a handful of salt or baking powder to an aluminum pot, or a pot or pail containing aluminum foil, fill with hot water, and put the silver items in for a few minutes.
The tarnish can then be wiped away. Brass and copper can be cleaned with a mixture of lemon juice and salt. Chrome can be cleaned with a cloth dipped in apple cider vinegar.
Just search the net to read about the extremely dangerous chemicals contained in these products - which you put on your skin which are then absorbed into your bloodstream. Always remember that your skin is not a barrier, these deadly chemicals are absorbed into your bloodstream.
Natural safe repellants include:
- rubbing your exposed skin with apple-cider vinegar and let it evaporate on your skin.
- adding 5 drops of (organic) citronella oil or (organic) or wild crafted tea-tree oil to 30 ml. of organic olive oil and applying it to your skin.
- eating a lot of (organic) garlic will also keep mosquitoes away because they intensely dislike the smell. Just as with pets. taking a Vitamin B supplement will create a smell that we cannot detect but that the mosquitoes can and dislike. Garlic plants and basil plants, both outside and inside your home, will also keep mosquitoes away, as will burning citronella coils.
Never use mothballs! The fumes from mothballs are extremely dangerous and can cause serious breathing and lung disorders etc. and even mental health disorders.
Use whole peppercorns, pieces of lavender or pieces of cedar wood instead, they work just as well and are completely safe.
To store clothes etc.-pack what you want to store in boxes (but do not use boxes that have had non-organic bananas or any other kind of non organic fruit in them-see the “Fruit” section) add some of the above products and tape all possible openings.
Paraffin and/or Artificially ( Synthetically) Scented Candles
Do not use paraffin and/or artificially scented candles. Artificial scents as well as the smoke from paraffin are both extremely unhealthy. Many candles claim to be “naturally” scented. Always remember that legally the word “natural” means absolutely nothing! The ingredient list must include “(organic) essential oil”.
Parafin candles release many extremely dangerous chemicals into the air including alkanes,alkenes,benzene,and toluene etc.
Artificially scented candles also release many extremely dangerous chemicals into the air including formaldehyde and pthalates etc.
Use also only candles which are made from undyed natural beeswax or an undyed natural plant wax with or without ( organic) essential oils and always have a window open when burning any kind of candle-all smoke is unhealthy.
These strips release dangerous fumes that are odorless. Simple non-toxic sticky fly strips are much safer and even work better. Bowls of crushed cloves, cut lemon peels or cut orange peels also keep away flies as they dislike the odor.
Poisonous Traps for Mice and Rats
Try using humane traps, or if this is not possible then use normal traps. The best bait to use is raw bacon or raw hamburger- not cheese.
All pressurized sprays leave chemicals that hang in the air that will always be breathed in.
A safe product can be made by simply mixing cornstarch with water and pouring the mixture into a hand sprayer to use.
To clean ovens safely, wet the inside of the oven, add baking soda, leave for 12 hours and then wipe off with detergent- free steel wool dipped in a safe household cleaner.
Do not use urea-formaldehyde foam insulation (UFFI) in your house(For the dangerous effects of formaldehyde see the section: “Carpets and Rugs”). Look on the net for the many safe substitutes available.
Always use a vacuum cleaner that has a Hepta filter to avoid as much dust as possible being blown into the air. Waterproofing For Shoes etc. Never use a spray waterproofing product! It is so dangerous that it can be fatal! You will always breathe some of the spray in.
Use a waterproof fatty polish instead and always wear gloves. Dispose of the gloves afterwards and let the shoes etc. dry in an area where people cannot breathe in the fumes.
Note: Do not buy Gortex or any other waterproof shoes and / or clothing.
See the sections: “Clothing and Textiles” and “PFAO’s.”
Window Cleaning Products
Avoid unhealthy commercial window cleaning products by simply using a mixture of one-half water and one-half apple cider vinegar.
Computers, Copiers, Fax Machines, and Printers etc.
Keep all computers, copiers, fax machines, and printers etc. in a separate room with adequate ventilation or best with a window which you can open. All these machines give off odorless chemical fumes and create chemical dust as well, all of which you breathe in.
Never keep and use these machines in your bedroom.
If you absolutely must have these machines in your sleeping area:
- make sure that you dust daily-which is a good idea to do anyways regardless in which room you have these machines and be sure to shake out the rag outside daily also
- open a window regularly
-and plug out –do not simply turn off all machines when not in use - especially while you sleep (See the section: “Electromagnetic Fields (EMF`s)”.
Note: Do not work with computers if you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant or at least try to use only wired computers as little as possible and never ever put them on your lap. Long term radiation, even at low doses, can cause birth defects (See the section: “Mobile Telephones, Cordless Indoor Phones and Wireless Products”).
Try to buy a “green” computer, (and other “green” communication devices and televisions etc.) that contain and emit fewer chemicals and fumes. Greenpeace, (and other associations as well), produce yearly consumer reports on such “green” products-consult them before buying any new such products.
Fireplaces, Fireplace stoves and Chimneys
Have all fireplaces; fireplace stoves and chimneys inspected at least once a year, by a professional to avoid fires and smoke inhalation.
Research by Peter Braun at Alab Laboratory in Berlin Germany has shown that that the new energy efficient light bulbs- compact fluorescent lights (CFL) - give off dangerous vapors when in use. The poisonous and proven cancer -causing chemicals of phenol, naphthalene and styrene are all released in vapor form when CFL`s are used.
These chemicals are in the socket of the bulb so it does not matter if the CFL consists of a twisted tube or has a normal light bulb shape with the twisted tube inside. There is also the serious problem that they contain mercury which is released if they break.
Safer alternatives are halogen lighting and LED (light emitting diodes) lighting.
Healthy Cooking and Kitchen Supplies
Aluminum cookware always releases aluminum into the foods and liquids that are cooked in them. (See E173 in the E- number guide).
Note: Anodized aluminum cookware also release aluminum into the food that is cooked in it in spite of what the producers and sellers of anodized aluminum cookware state!
Copper cookware always release copper into the foods and liquids that are cooked in them.
Do not use aluminumfoil as it also releases aluminum into any foods that are cooked and even stored in it.Never use any plastic wrapping as it releases many different kinds of dangerous chemicals into the food such as platsticizers and softeners, etc. Glass is the safest material.
Enamel pots often chip
Note 1: Iron pots ad frying pans give off iron ( especially when acidic foods such as tomatoes etc. are cooked in them ) which in high amounts is unhealthy for men and non-menstruating women, although is a valuable source of easily available iron for menstruating women and other women who might be especially lacking in iron such as vegans and vegetarians.
Note 2: If buying iron cookware, do not buy “treated” iron cookware. They have always been oiled with extremely unhealthy oils, such as cottonseed oil or soya oil and then baked at extremely high temperatures. Iron frying pans (and all frying pans and all woks) if not washed well after each time after being used, reheat old cooked fat or old cooked oil over and over again, which add dangerous heterocyclic amines (HCA`s) and dangerous polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons ( PAH`s) and other unhealthy substances into the food cooked in them.
HCA´s are chemicals created when you “blacken” food, such as when you barbecue food for too long or when food is fried or baked too long at a temperature which is too high. These chemicals are proven cancer- causing substances.
PAH´S are also proven cancer causing chemicals that are formed in smoke and are transferred to food when that food is smoked or exposed to smoke.
Note 3: Do not eat any “burnt” (blackened meat or blackened vegetable etc.) food or smoked food (whether industrially smoked – by using liquid smoke - or “naturally” smoked) for the reasons given above, even if they are organic!
- The absolute healthiest cookware is glass, the second is stainless steel.
Note 4: Do not use steel wool when cleaning the stainless steel cookware. Scratching the stainless steel by using steel wool or by scraping could cause chromium and nickel to be released. If the stainless cookware has an aluminum bottom it is not a hazard because the food does not come into contact with it. It is simply added because aluminum conducts heat much better than stainless steel.
Note 5: All non-stick cookware, whether it is Teflon, plastic, or silicone etc., is deadly because dangerous chemicals are always given off during the heating process both directly into the food and into the air via odorless fumes. See the excellent site www.ewg.org for more information on non-stick cookware.
Note 6: Do not use plastic kettles for boiling water. Use only kettles made from stainless steel. Once again, all plastics leach out dangerous chemicals when exposed to heat, or to fat, blood or water and especially when exposed to hot liquids or hot foods.
Note 7: Replace all plastic cooking utensils such as large soup spoons, forks, spatulas, food strainers etc, with stainless steel ones or with untreated and unoiled wooden ones. If using untreated and unoiled wooden utensils make sure that you wash them well in hot water containing a safe washing liquid to avoid bacteria buildup.
Note 8: Replace all plastic: bowls, cups, water glasses etc. with either glass or stainless steel products. Do not use a stainless bowls for whipping food or for mixing ingredients at high speeds because they could be scratched which could release chromium and nickel into the food.
Note 9: Do not drink bottled water that is in any kind of plastic bottle even if it is mineral water in a plastic bottle bought at a health food store! Buy only water if it is in a glass bottle. The same is true for “sport” bottles. These should only be made of unlined stainless steel or glass and never of plastic or of aluminum (See the section: “Food Packaging”).
Note 10: Never use “cling film” or any kind of plastic rolls for food storage. Soft plastics are absolutely the most dangerous kinds of plastics because they contain and release even greater amounts of extremely dangerous chemicals than any other type of plastic. Soft plastics are especially unhealthy when used in the microwave or when fatty and / or bloody foods such raw meats and cheeses etc. are wrapped in them and the fat and / or blood leaches out dangerous chemicals from the plastic into the food. (For more information and safe alternatives see the sections: “Organic Dairy Products” and “Organic Meat and Wild Meat”).
Note 11: Only store food in glass containers that do not have a plastic seal (or at least do not let the food or liquid touch the plastic) or in unlined stainless steel containers and never in plastic containers even if they claim to be made out of “non-toxic” plastic (See the section: “Food Packaging”).
Note 12: See the section “Cleaning Products” for safe cleaning liquids for dishes etc.
Electromagnetic Fields (EMF`s) and Microwave Ovens
Our whole body, including every cell, is regulated by the flow of electromagnetic fields. Every cell, tissue and organ in our body transmits information through tiny electrical currents. EMF’s- which includes electrical fields, magnetic fields, radiofrequency fields, microwaves and radiation from both unwired and wired sources etc. have been proven to cause:
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Electrical Hypersensitivity
- Memory loss
- Muscle and joint pain
- Skin rashes
- Sleep disorders
- Tingling foot and leg pain
EMF’s have also been linked to:
- Birth Defects
- Childhood Leukemia
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- High Blood Pressure
- Heart Arrhythmia
The source of information for the above list is: www. electromagnetichealth.org which is an excellent site that is both well documented and indexed. See this superb site for more extremely important information on EMF`s and Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity Syndrome.
Note: EMF levels (this term includes the less used term of EMR-Electro Magnetic Radiation), can be measured by a Gauss meter, which are cheaply and widely available. To limit your exposure to EMF’s, try to do the following:
- Plug out all electrical equipment when not in use.
- They still create EMF`s when they are turned off, but are still plugged in.
- Remove all dimmer switches.
- Do not use any electric blankets or at least use them only to preheat your bed then remove and unplug them.
- Do not use microwave ovens. As well as almost always “leaking out” microwaves (never stand in front of one when in use) microwaves actually produce new combinations of amino-acids and of other compounds in food that are not found in nature. We have absolutely no idea of what effect that this “Frankenstein food” has on our bodies and minds. Cooking food in microwave ovens has been proven to destroy phytonutrients such as antioxidants in the food. There is always transference of dangerous adipates, plasticizers, phthalates, and softeners etc. from the plastic dishes and plastic covers used into the food when food is microwaved. There are much safer quick flash heating ovens available which use intense light and heat which can be used instead if necessary.
- Remove all photoelectric timers, except in the case of smoke detectors because they are still safer than the battery ones that contain radioactive materials.
- Do not have radiant heat systems installed in walls. If already installed, do not use them.
Keep the following products the given distance away from yourself:
- Electric clocks: one meter. Do not use electric clocks on the night table in your bedroom. Replace them with a battery clock.
- Electric heaters: one meter.
- Fluorescent lights: two meters.
- Fridges and freezers: two meters.
- Hair blow dryers: 1/3 of a meter.
- Televisions: three meters.
If you have solar panels in your home, make sure they are insulated and placed correctly to limit your exposure to the EMF`s they create. Above all do not use mobile phones, cordless phones and any wireless products such as wireless laptops etc.- do not have any Wi-Fi system in your home. See the next section for more information.
Note 1: Try very hard to make your bedroom as “electrically free” as possible because of the long amount of time you spend sleeping there. See also the site: www.emfsafetystore.com
Note 2: I have absolutely no to this store or to any company mentioned in this article.
Mobile Phones, Cordless Indoor Phones and Wireless Products
As well as all of the medical disorders and health problems mentioned in the previous section, mobile and cordless phones and other wireless devices can:
- Cause brain tumors
- Can cause brain cancer
- Cause cancer of the parotid gland
- Can cause prostate and testicular cancer (from having laptops on your lap or from carrying mobile phones in your pocket)
- Cause decreased bone density in the pelvic region
- Cause infertility
- Cause nerve-cell damage
- Damage your DNA
- Damage your eyes
- Genetically damage the eggs in a woman’s body
- Genetically damage the sperm in a man’s body
- Harm your blood cells
- May trigger Alzheimer`s disease
- Possibly accelerate and contribute to onset of autism
The most well researched articles that I have read on the subject of EMF`s and mobile and cordless telephones etc. have been written by Dr. Olle Johansson, Professor of Neuroscience at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden who is a world renowned expert in this field. I have also had the pleasure of speaking with him.
His articles can also be found at the above named site in the previous section. He regularly sends out scientific reports on EMF’s including medical reports linking EMF`s to medical disorders. His email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
Never let children use mobile phones!
A child (under 10 years old) due to its much thinner skull bones, smaller brain and softer brain tissue:
- absorbs 3 times as much radiation in their brain as an adult
- absorbs 10 times as much radiation in their bone marrow as an adult
The fact that a child’s has much more rapid cell growth than an adult also makes the child more susceptible to the effects of cancer. All this means that children are 5 times more likely to get a brain tumor from cell phone use than an adult!
Note: According to Dr.Johansson (see above) it is a myth that mobile phones are used by children in emergencies. Studies have shown that children do not use them during emergencies.
Pregnant women should never use mobile phones, cordless phones or any wireless products. All radiation will affect your unborn child.
Note: No safe limit for radiation has EVER been set for pregnant mothers, unborn babies, babies or children.
Never forget that there is no such thing as a safe mobile phone.
Note: According to Dr. Johansson (see above) the so-called safety measures such as only using headsets, handsets, or only using the speaker etc. or only using a mobile phone with a low SAR number have all been proven to have very little effect in lowering the dangers of mobile phones and create a very dangerous false sense of safety.
If you absolutely must have a mobile phone-and there are very few people who absolutely must have a mobile telephone- then only carry it turned off at all times and only use it for emergencies. It is not hard to live without a mobile phone, a cordless phone or any wireless products. Use only electrical equipment that you can plug in.
Mobile phones, cordless phones and all wireless home products have only been widely used since 1995 and until then people survived and did fine without them. They are not a necessity.
Do not use cordless indoor phones!
The base of a cordless phone is always on, even when you are not talking and the phone is only resting.
The base emits up to 200 times greater levels of EMF`s (see the above article) than normal mobile phone, and they do this twenty-four hours per day! This EMF extends through walls at distances of up to forty feet in all directions.
Use a normal phone and buy an extra long cord. It is well worth the little bit of effort for your health. Only use wired computers and wired laptops- not wireless- and never put them on your lap while using them. See also the section: “Computers, Copiers, Fax Machines, and Printers etc.”
Feminine Care Products
Tampons have been associated with a high risk of staphylococcus bacterial infection, and toxic shock syndrome (TSS). Tampons always contain plastic fibers and bleached papers that leach out dangerous dioxins.
The safest tampons to use are those made out of 100% unbleached organic cotton. One company making feminine care products out of 100% unbleached organic cotton is “Natracare” and is widely available./Note: I have absolutely no connection to this company or to any company mentioned in this book/.
Never use talcum powder! (See E553b in the E number guide).
Both normal and even “health food” toothpastes contain many dangerous ingredients.
Note: These dangerous chemicals are always absorbed sublingually from under the tongue, into the body when brushing your teeth even if you do not swallow while brushing your teeth. Just read the ingredient list of your toothpaste.
Here is only a partial list of these dangerous ingredients found in toothpaste (Look up all E numbers in the E-number guide):
- Algin E400
- Alginates E400- E405
- Carboxymethylcelluslose E 466 (also called cellulose gum)
- Carrageenan E407
- This dangerous additive is found in almost all normal and “health food” toothpastes.
- Celluslose gum E466
- Certain natural even organic essential oils are dangerous to your health. See the two reference sites mentioned below.
- Flavoring (including “natural” flavoring)– All flavors and “natural flavors” -unless they are certified as organic- are made with using dangerous solvents such as hexane which can be never be completely removed. (See the first page of the E- number guide.)
- Magnesium aluminum –see E173.
- Natural flavorings –See flavoring.
- PEG-32 (polyethylose glycol), - this chemical has been proven to cause cancer in laboratory experiments. Note: Some companies (especially those from the U.K.) even label PEG chemicals (there are many of them -each with a different number- but they all have the same dangerous effects) as a “Natural derivative of coconut oil” or “ of vegetable origin” to fool people into thinking that they are safe!
- Sodium alginate E401
- Sodium benzoate E211
- Sodium carboxymethylcellulose E468
- Sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, ammonium lauryl sulphate and ammonium laureth sulphate. See the two reference sites mentioned below.
- Sodium saccharin E954 -This deadly artificial sweetener is found in virtually every “normal” toothpaste and in some “health food” toothpastes as well
- Sorbitol E420
- Xylitol E967
Plus dangerous artificial colors. Start reading the ingredient label for toothpastes and for all body care products, and look up all of the ingredients in the E- number guide and on the sites: www. preventcancer.org and w.w.w.ewg.org/skindeep/.
See also the very important information written about the skin deep site in the section: “Personal Care Products and Cosmetic” (Note 1).
Please remember the fact that every day of every week of every month of every year of your life, that you and your children are absorbing these deadly chemicals from toothpastes into your body. I am convinced that toothpaste, not only because of its ingredients but also because of the fact that it is used every day for years, is one of the most deadly “foods” that we consume. Since the ingredients are absorbed into our bodies, toothpaste must be considered in the same light as a food.
Note: Toothpaste does not prevent cavities, and does not prevent tooth decay or gum disease! Only brushing your teeth with an extra soft toothbrush, flossing with untreated and unwaxed dental floss such as TePe Mini Flosser -or using small brushes such as TePe Interdental Brushes to clean in between your teeth- and a low sugar diet will do that. (See below for more information.)
Note: I have absolutely no connection to this company or to any of the other companies mentioned in this book.
TePe is simply the only company that I have found that does not use any additives on these two products.
Always remember that companies producing dental floss, dental picks and dental brushes etc. do NOT have to legally list the chemicals and additives on them. For example –“Glide” which says on the package that it contains “Natural wax” contains over 10 additives including the highly dangerous synthetic sweetener Acesulfame K which is E950.
New research has shown that even the fluoride added to toothpaste does not help protect the teeth against decay. Toothpaste with fluoride has been recommended by dentists to be used in order to change the main mineral in the tooth enamel hydroxyapatite into fluorapatite. This new mineral is more resistant to decay.
But now according to a study published in the German medical journal Langmuir on Dec.21, 2010 the new layer of this mineral formed is only 6 nanometers thick and is completely gone after only 10 minutes of eating and/or chewing! It would take 10.000 of these new layers to span the width of a human hair.
The scientists question whether a layer so thin which is quickly worn away by ordinary chewing can really shield the teeth from decay (Source: “Elemental depth profiling of fluoridated hydroxyapatite: saving your dentition by the skin of your teeth?” Müller F, Zeitz C, Mantz H, Ehses KH, Soldera F, Schmauch J, Hannig M, Hüfner S, Jacobs K.Experimental Physics, Faculty of Natural Sciences and Technology, Saarland University, 66123 Saarbrucken, Germany. email@example.com- saarland.de).
Fluoride is a deadly poison and does not help prevent dental decay which is why it is forbidden to be added to the water supply in every country in the EU(except Ireland) and in many American and Canadian cities. Countless studies have shown that the people living in cities, counties, provinces and states within the same country that have fluoridated water do not have better dental heath than the people that live in the neighboring cities, counties, provinces and states that have unfluoridated water. See the excellent site: www.nofluoride.com.
If you feel that you just must have your teeth treated with fluoride you can get your dentist to “paint” fluoride on your teeth every six months.
Note: Never use fluoride rinses or fluoride tablets.
All toothpastes, including “health food” toothpastes contain one or more of the following abrasives, all of which are destructive to your tooth enamel:
- chalk or krita
- calcium carbonate, or dolomite
- dicalcium phosphate
- calcium pyrophosphate
- silica and/or hydrated silica
- pure salt
Note: Salt water - where all the salt is totally dissolved - is fine and recommended.
All of these substances are highly abrasive and actually grind the enamel of your teeth thinner, every time you brush your teeth! They work exactly like sandpaper. Eventually the dentin which is under the enamel of your teeth begins to shine through. Dentin is yellow. Brushing your teeth with toothpaste actually causes “yellow” teeth!
If you have stained teeth, brushing them with crushed strawberries will actually get rid of stains. This is because of the acid that is found in strawberries which actually works like a stain remover! Unless they are organic strawberries I do not recommend eating the strawberries, as strawberries are especially heavily sprayed with dangerous pesticides.
Note: Please read the excellent information on the relationship between dental health and diet on the site: www.westonaprice.org. See also the note on this site in the section: “Healthy Fats.”
Always brush your teeth with the softest toothbrush available, such as an “extra soft” toothbrush. Brushing your teeth with a “firm,” “medium,” or a “soft” toothbrush will make the gums recede, exposing more of the tooth “neck” to bacterial attack. Rinse your toothbrush in hot water after use, and keep your toothbrush in a glass in a closed cabinet. You should replace your toothbrush every 6-8 weeks.
Note: All additives that are found on dental floss, interdental brushes and dental picks etc do NOT have to be legally written on the package as ingredients and never are! The extremely dangerous artificial sweeteners Sodium Saccharin E954 and Acesulfam K E950 etc. (See the E- number guide) are always added to flavored dental floss such as peppermint or spearmint flavored dental floss etc. and to virtually all “Fluoride,” and “Whitening” dental flosses etc. and to even unflavored dental floss! They are even added to unflavored dental floss that has been coated with natural wax or beeswax such as “Glide.”
You will always absorb these dangerous chemicals- E905, E954 and E950- sublingually (from under the tongue) on a daily basis for years when you floss your teeth normal waxed dental floss even if you do not swallow. Only floss your teeth with a dental floss that:
- is not made from PTFE fiber which is also called Teflon fiber. PTFE or polytetrafluoroethylene always contains perfluorooctanoid (PFOA.) To read about the dangers of PFOA see the section: “PFOA”
- is unflavored
- is unwaxed
- contans no additives
One company that I have found that meets these 4 requirements is:TePe Mini-Flosser.
An alternative to using dental floss that is almost as effective as using dental floss is to use the Interdental brushes which are small brushes that can be used to clean between the teeth which are also made by TePe. /Note:I have absolutely no connection to this company or to any company mentioned in this book/.
If using these brushes, make that you rinse them after every tooth to avoid transferring plaque and food deposits. If you wish to know the true complete ingredient list of all additives on the dental floss etc. you must ask the producing company to send you a letter-not an e-mail with all the additives listed.
Always remember that a letter is a legal document whereas an email (or a telephone conversation) is not! Be also sure to constantly update your inquiry as formulas can change. This is precisely what I have done with the TePe Company. Their Min-flosser and Interdental Brushes do not have any chemicals added to them.
Try to brush after each meal and floss at least once a day. This is especially important after eating or drinking something sweet. Make sure that when you do floss to rinse the dental floss or to change the dental floss section wrapped between your fingers after each tooth, to avoid transferring plaque and food deposits.
Personal Care Products and Cosmetics
Note: In this section the term “personal care products” will include all cosmetics as well. The average European and American woman uses an average of 12 personal care products per day which contain an average of 168 chemicals.
The average American and European man uses an average of 6 which contain an average of 85 chemicals. Even children are exposed to an average of 4 different personal care products which contain an average of 61 different chemicals! Just look in your bathroom cabinet and purse and start counting!
The average American and European women absorbs approx. 2 kilos of chemicals from personal care products into their body every year. For men it is approx.1kg. (Source: “Environmental Working Group” sees their excellent site: www. ewg.org).
Of the approx 10,500 ingredients used in personal care products today less than 20% have been tested. The ingredients that have been tested are always tested alone yet are virtually always found with many other ingredients in the same product. Approximately 80% of the ingredients used in personal care products do enter the blood stream. (Source: “Environmental Working Group” sees their excellent site: www. ewg.org).
As strange as it sounds, all personal care produce must be looked upon as food! Even the 20% of ingredients that do not enter the bloodstream can cause health disorders ranging from rashes, eczema and psoriasis to skin cancer.
Be every bit as careful when buying personal care products as you are when buying food. The skin is not a barrier to dangerous chemicals.
Always look up each ingredient listed under the INC (International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients) declaration listed on the label of each product, on the excellent sites: www. preventcancer.com and www.cosmeticsdatabase.com which is the same site as www.ewg.org/skindeep/. Both sites also contain lists of dangerous ingredients to watch out for that are commonly found in normal, “natural,” and organic personal care products.
Note 1: When you look up some substance on www. ewg.org/skindeep it might in the top right corner under the 4 health damaging categories show a measurement yet at the same time the same substance might also be given a low number in the “Score” box located in the top left corner- on their hazardous rating scale which ranges from 0-10. How can this be?
The reason for this is that the listing of a substance in the 4 health damaging categories is based upon objective scientific studies but giving that substance a number is a subjective assessment-or a matter of opinion. In the United States suing associations and people is big business. You have to be very careful of what you subjectively say is dangerous.
However you can state objective information without the risk of being sued. My advice is to pay much more attention to the 4 health damaging categories if a substance shows up there than simply to the number given to it out of 10 if it is low number.
The book “Toxic Beauty” by Dr. Samuel Epstein M.D. and Randall Fitzgerald is absolutely the best book that I have ever read on this extremely important subject and I recommend it highly! As ingredients often change, look at the ingredient each time you purchase a product and look up any new ingredients.
Note 1: The INC ingredient list shows all ingredients by their Latin names and/or specific name (instead of just “coconut oil extract” for example) so that it can be looked up. If a personal care product shows no “INC” list do not buy it as you have no idea what it contains.
Note 2: Be aware that some companies (especially from the U.K. ) often use dangerous ingredients and then state the source of what it was made from to deliberately mislead the consumer into believing that a dangerous chemical is actually safe! For example many “organic” shampoos from the U.K. state: “Polysorbate 20 and PEG 75 from “vegetable origin”. It does not matter at all what the source material is for Polysorbate 20 (or any Polysorbate number-see E432-E436 in the E number guide) or for PEG 75 which is Polyethylene Glycol 75, all polyethylene glycol compounds and all polysorbates are all dangerous!
Another trick is to write: “Sorbic acid -from fruits.” See E200 in the E- number guide. Just because some chemical is derived from a natural source does not make it safe! Cyanide is found in apple seeds and if taken from that source in sufficient amounts will have the same deadly results as any arsenic made in a chemical factory.
Note 3: Just because a personal care product has been “certified” by some organic agency or natural cosmetic organization etc. is no guarantee whatsoever that it contains only safe ingredients! Even if your product is certified by BDIH, Demeter, Eco-Cert., Soil Association, USDA, etc. etc. all organic certifications unfortunately allow for some unhealthy ingredients to be used.
Examples of dangerous cosmetic ingredients found in “natural” and even “organic” personal care products are (See the two reference sites stated above):
- Any ingredient which contains the word “betaine” in it. For example: cocamidopropyl betaine.
- Any ingredient that has any chemical ending in “eth” For example: (SLS) sodium laureth sulphate or ammonium laureth
- Cetromium chloride
- PEG 75
- Potassium Alum, or Alum, or Alun This chemical is Potassium Aluminum Sulfate which is often sold in “health food stores” in both a crystal rock form and in a liquid form. It is advertised as a “natural and safe” deodorant. It is not! It contains aluminum which IS absorbed by the body-regardless of what the producers and salespeople might say. It has the same dangerous health effects as aluminum. See E173 Aluminum in the E-number guide. Washing frequently and avoiding caffeine, sugar and excess protein, as well as drinking enough water will get rid of unpleasant body odor. If you want to use an extremely safe and effective product for both odor and wetness simply powder on some baking soda on your dry skin after washing.
- All Polysorbates( Polysorbate 20-Polysorbate 80, E432-E436)
- Potassium sorbate E202
- Propylene glycol E1520
- Sodium benzoate E 211
- Sorbic acid E200
- Sorbitol E 420
- Xylitol E 967
- Grapefruit seed extract -this is a trick. German studies have shown that grapefruit seed extract alone has no preservative effects whatsoever. The same German tests have shown that an added preservative is always present in the grapefruit seed extract. A preservative is first added to the grapefruit seed extract and then sold to a company which then adds the grapefruit seed extract to their personal care product. The company does not have to legally list the preservative that was in the grapefruit seed extract that they had purchased because they did not add it.
Note 4: If you insist on using personal care products- besides the ones recommended below -then using one that has one of the above 5 certifications is still much better than using a “normal” product.
- As with food additives, flavors, pesticides and processing aids all governments trust the “honest and neutral” reports by the companies that make and sell the ingredients used in personal care products and do no testing themselves. (See the first page of the E-number guide.)
- As with the four above mentioned groups, the thousands of ingredients that are used in personal care products are never tested for their possible combined effects despite the fact that many ingredients are found in a single product and more than one product is often used at the same time.
- As with the four above mentioned groups, countries often forbid the use of a certain ingredient used in personal care products because they believe it to be dangerous yet another country will allow it.
Note 6: Companies making personal care products do not have to legally declare all of the ingredients that are used to create the scent in their products. All of the “normal” and almost all of the “the health food” personal care products including many “organic” ones contain totally unknown ingredients that are contained in the only one ingredient written on the ingredient list as:
- Fragrance: essential oils
- Fragrance: natural oils
- Natural Fragrance
- Natural Fragrance :essential oils
- Natural Fragrance :natural oils
- Perfume: essential oils,
- Perfume: natural oils etc.
All of these terms are completely worthless and do not tell you what ingredients are actually used so you cannot look them up to see if they are safe or not. Up to 3163 different chemicals can be used in the above terms (Source: International Fragrance Association (IFRA) 2010).
The average scent formulation contains 14 chemicals which can include dangerous chemicals such as endocrine disrupters and phthalates which make the smell last longer. Remember, also that even some essential oils and herbal extracts are also dangerous to your health. Look up all essential oils, herbal extracts, herbal oils etc. in the two sites mentioned earlier.
None of seven terms listed above tell you:
- if any synthetic chemicals are used
- if only essential oils are used
- if a combination (which is almost always the case-to save money) is used.
- the names of those synthetic chemicals and/or essential oils
- if the essential or herbal extract etc. used has been extracted with the use of deadly hexane or not. Hexane has been proven to cause birth defects, cancer and DNA damage and can never be completely removed. Many essential oils are extracted with hexane. Organic essential oils are not allowed to be extracted with hexane.
Remember also, as written before, that the term “natural” means absolutely nothing legally whether in regards to personal care products, food, or vitamins etc.
The old reason that companies had the right to “hide” or keep secret their formulas was because their competition might steal them and use them. This reason is no longer valid as these companies well know, because every formula or recipe used in any personal care product can now be broken down completely into both all the ingredients that are in that formula and the precise amount of all those ingredients that are used in that formula. This process is known as “Biological Backtracking.”
All the companies know this of course but continue with their old lie because they do not want the consumer to know what dangerous ingredients they use and to keep up the illusion that all their ingredients are totally “safe and natural.” All personal care products including “organic” ones should be forced legally to declare all the chemicals and ingredients found in the product on the label!
Note 7: I believe that people should use only the safest, most truly natural and organic cleansers available.
I can only recommend the following:
Note: Sonett organic liquid soaps retain their natural glycerin and will not dry out your skin or hair and can therefore be used as a hair shampoos also. Shampoos only become available about one- hundred years ago, until then mild bar soaps were used instead.
You can easily see in old photos that people back then had even more beautiful hair than we have now.
1. Sonett Organic Lavender Liquid Soap (excellent hair shampoo also.)
2. Sonett Organic Neutral Liquid Soap (excellent hair shampoo also.)
3. Sonett Organic Neutral Soap.
4. Urtekram No Perfume Organic Pure Soap.
Note 8: I only recommend these specific personal care products from these companies. I do not recommend all the personal care products made by that company. As always, I do not have any connection whatsoever to these companies or to any company mentioned in this book.
Note 9: Dry skin is very often due to diet. If suffering from dry skin try increasing your consumption of foods that contain healthy fats. (See the section on “Healthy Fats.”)
Virtually all of the non-organic but “natural” oils that are added to personal care products to help dry skin - such as almond oil, apricot kernel oil avocado oil, and jojoba oil etc. have all been extracted with the deadly chemical hexane which can never be completely removed from the oil.
Almond oil, apricot kernel oil avocado oil, and jojoba oil are all excellent for use on the skin if they are certified as organic and are packed in a dark glass bottle. Hexane is not allowed to be used in the production of certified organic oils.
As well as the above listed four certified organic oils, that can be used as a moisturizer to help dry skin, and/or for protection against cold weather, I can also recommend:
- Organic, non-hexane extracted pure Shea butter (butrospeum parteii) also known as karite butter that is packed in glass. Shea butter has been used for thousands of year and is often available as an organic and Fair Trade product.
- Organic extra virgin olive oil that has been packed in a dark glass bottle. Make sure that you read the best before date of this and of any food or personal care product that you buy. Use it well before it´s best before date and store it in a cool dark place. The women of ancient Greece and Rome used extra virgin olive oil and were famous for their beautiful skin. It is also excellent for dry and cracked lips. Be extremely careful with any lip roll, lipstick or any product that you put on your lips! You will always end up swallowing some when you eat or drink or when you simply lick your lips.
- Organic coconut oil that has not been bleached deodorized or hexane extracted and that is packed in glass.
I have lived in Western Samoa, in the South Pacific, so I know firsthand just how good this product is for the skin.
Note: I do not want to judge or criticize the people that use the thousands of kinds of:
- “anti-aging” creams and lotions
- “anti-wrinkle” creams and lotions
- body lotions
- cleansing creams
- cold creams
- day creams
- night creams
- eye liners
- eye shadows
- facial masks
- facial scrubs
- hair colors
Note: Pure henna is safe but many henna products have synthetic color added to them. Always read the ingredient list.
- lip glosses
- skin conditioners
- toning agents
- hair balms
- hair gels
- hair sprays
- nail polishes
- etc. etc.
that are available, but do you honestly believe that are they really necessary? Do you honestly believe that these products will actually make you a more beautiful person or do they just profit the monstrous multi-billion dollar cosmetic industry whose sole purpose is to take advantage of your own insecurities and to convince you that you are truly ugly, unattractive and boring but through the use of their products you will suddenly become beautiful, attractive and exciting?
All cosmetic companies want to convince you that it is only their products that can give you the beauty, confidence, excitement and above all the sex appeal, that you do not naturally have.
By clever advertising and by using an “army” of psychologists (yes psychologists!) and by the “careful retouching” of their own photos of top models, they try to deepen and exploit your own feelings of insecurity, inadequacy and physical unattractiveness by forcing you to subconsciously compare yourself with them.
Virtually all of the above listed “beauty aids” that are available now are less than hundred years old. Do you really think that your great grandmother was less beautiful than you during her lifetime because of the lack of them?
If you want to have healthy looking skin (and a healthy body and mind also):
- Do not smoke
- Do not drink alcohol
- Do not eat refined grains, sugars, and unhealthy fats
- Keep to a low salt diet
- Eat a nutritious diet, high in (organic) vegetables, fruits, and healthy fats etc. and free of food additives.
- Drink enough healthy water
- Exercise regularly-even if it is only fast walking (See the “Healthy and Easy Exercise section”)
- Do not use cosmetics or at least only the safest ones possible and as little as possible.
- Do not overdo it when it comes to the sun. Sun tanning products are especially high in dangerous ingredients.
See the excellent site: www.ewg.com and avoid the products on the above list with their dangerous and/ or unknown ingredients.
Avoid all deodorants and antiperspirants -simply wash under the arms and powder on some soda bicarbonate.
Soda bicarbonate is safe, destroys odors and will keep you dry. Virtually all deodorants and antiperspirants contain aluminum which is dangerous to your health.
Even the so-called “natural crystals or deodorant stones” and also the liquid deodorant made from them that are sold in health food stores containing: Potassium Alum or “Potas Alum” or “Alum” or “Alun” (read the ingredients) which is naturally occurring aluminum which is absorbed into your body and is dangerous and not safe! See E173 in the E-number guide.
If you have bad body odor eliminate or at least cut down all caffeine products. A bad body odor can also be caused by too much protein, too much salt, or too much sugar in your diet. Men can easily avoid using shaving cream, gel or foam by washing your face and neck first in hot water and then simply using a safe soap instead of the shaving product. Make sure that your shaver does not contain an old and dull razor blade and always shave upwards.
There exists many excellent books on making your own “kitchen cosmetics” made out of foods and whole herbs etc. some of which have been used for thousands of years. Many of these books have excellent recipes for perfumes and other cosmetics that you can make yourself from safe certified organic essential oils etc. Why not try it? They are much healthier and much cheaper than store bought products.
Once again, be sure to look up all the ingredients including all essential oils, even if organic, on the above listed 2 websites.
Always remember that the goal of all companies- whether they make normal, natural or organic personal care products- is to make a profit, and not to make you healthy!
Note: I realize that this list is very extensive, but it is very important to know that all of the following information and recommendations given are solidly based on facts and are not my personal opinions. Please do all you can for your baby´s safety and health and for your own as well.
It is fascinating to understand, that many so called “primitive” tribes throughout history, believed that both the man and women should go on special nutritious diets before even trying to conceive!
- To fully establish the natural cycle of your body and to remove any possible chemical effects, try to wait at least three months before trying to get pregnant if having taken any birth control pills or any chemical means of birth control. (See the section on “Birth control”)
- Both partners should have a total and complete health check-up, including blood tests etc. before even trying to conceive.
- Women must take at least 400 mcg. of Folic acid daily, even while trying to get pregnant and throughout the pregnancy to prevent birth defects.
- Iron levels must check monthly.
For very important information on iron, please see the section: “Supplement Recommendations.”
- All tobacco smoke, include passive smoke and the use of all tobacco products including chewing tobacco and snuff (snus) etc.
- All alcohol
- All products containing caffeine such as: coffee, black tea, oolong tea, colas, guarana products, kola-nut (cola nut) products, mate tea and yerba mate and dark chocolate. Caffeine has been proven to cause birth defects. Although many pregnant women long after it- try to avoid cocoa and chocolate as much as possible. If you just cannot stay away from chocolate then at least eat milk chocolate -not dark chocolate - and make sure that it is organic and made without lecithin. The same is true while breast feeding because caffeine enters the breast milk. If you must drink tea, drink only decaffeinated green and white teas, using only the Swiss water method or water method-which must be stated on the label. See the section: “Black Tea, Artificial and “Natural”flavored Tea and Smoked Tea”.
- All decaffeinated coffee as well as all coffee substitutes (See the section: "Coffee”).
- Using cordless phones, mobile telephones, and all wireless equipment –use only a wired computer and as little as possible (See the sections: Mobile Phones, Cordless Indoor Phones and Wireless Products and “Electromagnetic Fields EMF’”).
- All fatty fish because their high mercury levels except for wild Pacific salmon or sardines, which can be fresh or frozen ( loosely packed), but not canned to avoid BPA and BPS etc. and not vacuum packed in plastic(See the section on “Healthy Fats”).
- All raw milk and all raw milk cheeses etc. Raw cheeses are often advertised as being made from unpasteurized milk. Raw milk and raw milk cheeses etc. could contain listeria, which is a bacterium that causes birth defects.
- All smoked food (See the section: “Unhealthy Foods sold in Health Food Stores.” for a list of foods which are virtually always smoked.) All smoked foods which are full of the same cancer-causing substances that are in the smoke. Remember, the package does not have to declare if the product has been smoked or not.
- Emptying “used” cat sand, or if you must do it yourself then always use disposable gloves, and throw them away after each time and wash your hands well. This cat sand could contain toxoplasmosis, which can cause birth defects. Do this also if doing any outside gardening. Make sure that the gloves do not contain powder. (See E553b in the E-number guide).
- All chemical spray products especially all waterproofing sprays and all air fresheners-even the ones in a solid form.
- Avoid as many food additives as possible, especially nitrates and nitrates E-249 – E252 ( these are in all cold cuts, baloney, bacon, corned beef, ham, hotdogs, liver sausage, pastrami, salami, cooked sausages, raw sausages to be cooked, wurst and canned meats etc. and are in many kinds of cheeses etc. –ALWAYS read the ingredient list ! ) See the E- number guide. Mothers who ate hotdogs even only once a week during their pregnancy doubled the risk of their children getting brain cancer. (Source: “Cancer Prevention Coalition.”)
- Try to eat as much of the foods mentioned in the healthy food section as possible and try to get them -especially the healthy fats -from organic sources.
- Try to avoid walking or biking on busy roads, and get as much fresh air as possible both when inside and outside of your home.
- Use as few personal care products as possible and strictly avoid all chemical hair dyes, hair sprays, and lipsticks.
- Unless advised to do so by a medical specialist, consume no herbal products aside from the normal cooking herbs and spices. This includes using no essential herbal oils in heat lamps and in message products also.
Guidelines for Healthy Growth
Breastfeed for at least 6 months and ideally for 1 year or longer. This is vitally important for both your baby´s present and further health. Breast milk is crucially important in building up your baby`s present and future immune system and is rich in the nutrients that a baby needs for good health.
A baby does not begin to produce antibodies until the baby is 6 months old but does not have well developed immune system until the child is seven. The immune system is not totally developed before the age of twelve.
There exists countless studies that prove just how crucially important breastfeeding is for your child and for you in both a physical and mental way.
- See the section on “Unhealthy Health Foods” for unhealthy baby foods.
- Do not give any honey to any infants under one year old, because of the danger at infant botulism.
- Do not give your children any peppermint tea, because the natural menthol in the peppermint could cause a choking reflex.
- Try to avoid using all baby care products on your baby. Never use talcum powder on your baby or yourself. (See E553b in the E number guide).
- Please read the section: “Special Notes for Rooms for Babies and Children”.
- Avoid giving your children food containing any food additives and flavors but especially avoid all foods containing nitrites and/ or nitrates – see E 249-E252 in the E- number guide. These are in all cold cuts, baloney, bacon, corned beef, ham, hotdogs, liver sausage, pastrami, salami, cooked sausages, raw sausages to be cooked, wurst and canned meats etc. and are in many kinds of cheeses – ALWAYS read the ingredient list!).
- Children who ate just one serving per week of products containing nitrates or nitrites had double the amount of brain cancer than those that did not eat any of those products. Children who ate two servings per week had triple the rate. Children who ate 12 or more hotdogs per week had 9 times the risk of developing childhood leukem (Source: “Cancer Prevention Coalition”).
6. Birth Control
Proven side effects of oral contraceptives, including all form of the pill, minipill, combination pill, birth control shots and implants etc. are:
- amenorrhea (failure to menstruate)
- blood sugar level disturbances
- breast tenderness
- cancer of the breast, liver, pituitary gland and uterus
- chronic fatigue
- ectopic pregnancy
- fetal abnormalities
- gallbladder disease
- heart attacks
- high blood pressure
- inability to concentrate
- increase in dental decay
- inflammation of the optic nerve , leading to double vision, poor vision, eye pain and swelling and even loss of vision
- intolerance to carbohydrates, leading to “steroid diabetes” which can lead to clinical diabetes
- kidney failure
- liver damage
- liver tumors
- lowered immune resistance
- migraine headaches
- mouth ulcers
- sleep disturbances
- swollen and bleeding gums
- thrombophlebtitus and pulmonary embolism
- vaginal yeast inspections
- varicose veins
- visual disturbances
- a much higher risk of death to due to blood clots
As well as:
- body distortion; due to the disproportional distribution of fat
- darkening of the skin of the upper lip and of the lower eyelids
- dry blotchy skin
- dry falling hair and even baldness
- fluid retention
- loss of sex drive
- premature wrinkling
- weight gain - oral contraceptives almost always cause weight gain because they:
- increase the appetite
- create localized fat deposits and increase the amount of fat tissue over the thighs and hips
- cause fluid retention
According to the F.D.A, the Food and Drug Administration of the United States government, oral contraceptives must not be used by women who have or have had:
- blood clots in their legs
- blood clots in their lungs
- heart pain
- heart attacks
- unusual vaginal bleeding that has not yet been diagnosed
- known or suspected cancer of the breast or sex organs
- women who suspect that they might be pregnant
Note: Oral contraceptives provide absolutely no protection against HIV, AIDS or any STD: -Sexually Transmittable Diseases
Oral contraceptives are not safe. They abuse your intricate and complex hormonal system and create dangerous side-effects. Respect and take care of your body and use safe and effective methods of birth control.
Note: If you do not believe any of the information in this article, simply search the net under the dangers of oral contraceptives for reliable and valid studies proving the dangers of oral contraceptives. You will not have any trouble finding a great number of them!
All spermacides contain extremely dangerous chemicals, many of which are proven cancer causing agents such as formaldehyde and methybenzethonium chloride etc. Spermacides have been proven to damage sperm that can still go on to fertilize an egg, producing birth defects in the baby.
Safe and Effective Methods of Birth Control
Condoms for Men and Women
Note 1: Condoms for men, when used properly, have a pregnancy rate of two percent while oral contraceptives with all their health risk have a pregnancy rate of one-two percent! The various forms of female condoms including the bikini condom etc. have a pregnancy rate of five percent. Female condoms, but never male condoms, can be used more than once.
Note 2: Condoms, when used properly, protect both partners against HIV, AIDS and STD: Sexually Transmitted Diseases.
Note 3: It has been one-hundred percent scientifically proven, beyond any doubt whatsoever, that the HIV-AIDS virus cannot enter through a condom. This is a scientific fact, regardless of what the Roman Catholic Church and some Protestant Churches state. If you do not believe this, research it yourself.
Using a Condom Properly Means:
- Using a major known brand of condom, produced by a company that tests the condoms that they produce.
- Placing the condom properly on before any insertion of the penis whatsoever!
Note 1: Do not even rub the penis without a condom on against the vagina!
This can result in minute sperm leakage (even if you do not have an ejaculation) that contains thousands of sperms.
- When placing the condom on, always leave a small deflated space at the tip of the condom to contain the sperm.
- Roll the condom out completely along the penis.
- After ejaculation, place your hand firmly on the condom and holding your hand tightly against the condom and your penis, withdraw both your penis and the condom together at the same time.
- Do not just rest and leave you limp penis inside your partner. Sperm can leak out.
- Always use a new condom every time you have sex.
- Never rinse out male condoms and use them again.
Note 2: Do not use powdered condoms. (See E553b in the E number guide).
This powder always contains asbestos and/or asbestos-like fibers that can and have caused ovarian cancer and cancer of the cervix in women.
Note 3: Do not use a colored condom. There have been many reports of the color coming off and of being very hard to remove. (!) “Severe burns” have also been reported. These industrial colors are cancer causing.
It is an interesting fact that to note that in certain Asian countries such as in Japan, it has been estimated that over seventy-five percent of all couples use condoms. But they do not use condoms as a form of birth control! (They use the usual dangerous oral contraceptives for that) .They use condoms as a method of increasing the pleasures of lovemaking.
Since the most common complaint of men (and women!) is premature ejaculation, condoms greatly reduce this risk. Even men, who do not have this “problem”, often wish that they could just last longer. With the ultra thin condoms that are widely available, the small amount of sensitivity lost is nothing when compared to the increased time of pleasure gained.
This concept is far from the selfish and macho-man concept of the Western cultures where: “Having sex with a condom is like washing your feet with socks on,” with the woman paying the price with her health- by using dangerous oral contraceptives.
Cervical Caps and Diaphragms
The cervical caps and diaphragms are also completely safe and highly effective especially when they are used with male condoms. However, they must be fitted corrected and checked regularly.
Fertility Awareness Method
Other methods include the “Fertility Awareness Method” which uses a combination of monitoring changes both in, body temperature and cervical mucus. Of course, this method can be combined with the previous mentioned methods. Search the net for more information on this and other safe methods of birth control.
7. Sources of Information on Healing
For all people suffering from any physical and/or mental, medical disorder, the best book I have read in more than 40 years of researching books is: “The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine” by Dr. Michael Murray N.D. and Dr. Joseph Pizzorno N.D.
Make sure that you buy the latest edition. I strongly urge everyone to first read this book before self- medicating or listening to the advice of your local health food store. The only disagreements that I have with this brilliant book are that the authors accept the use of canola oil and of soya products.
This excellent book lists detailed well documented information on over 70 medical disorders and how to naturally treat them using proven natural therapies that work such using diet, vitamins, minerals and herbs etc.
Note: This book is also available in manner written for health professionals as the “The Clinician’s Handbook of Natural Medicine”. A more expensive continuously updated version is also available: “Textbook of Natural Medicine” e-edition: Text with Continuously Updated Online Reference, 2 Volume Set. The cheapest way to buy these books is to buy used copies from Amazon on the net.
Dr. Pizzorno founded Bastyr College in the United States to train naturopaths and after having talked to him personally a number of times have found him to be both a brilliant and caring man who sincerely wants to help people. One excellent site for information on supplements to help heal various medical disorders is: www.purecaps.com -go to Health Library-Clinical Essentials –Medical Conditions A-Z./Note: Once again, I have absolutely no connection to this company or to any company which mentioned in this book. This site is simply listed as an excellent source of information and nothing more/.
Another excellent site for information on natural methods to heal medical disorders on the net is: www.healingfoodreference.com. /Note: Although this is an excellent site for information, I do not agree with many of the dietary recommendations and especially political opinions etc. that Mike Adams and his columnists have on his own site/.
Non-Healing and/or Unknown Illnesses
If suffering from an unknown illness, or a known illness that will not heal:
- Read the next chapter: “Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS)”
- Read the section “Sources of Information on Healing.”
- Get both a complete blood test such as “Elisa” for determining all possible food allergies and food intolerances and a skin prick test , and not just only a skin prick test because it is often much too imprecise. Both are needed.
- If a woman, stop using all forms of oral contraceptives and use the safe methods written about in the section;” Safe and Effective Methods of Birth Control” instead.
- Read the “Positive Mental Health” section and the “Exercise” section and seriously consider the information found there.
- If your doctor agrees, seriously consider getting a pet dog.
- Avoid all food additives as much as possible and try to change your diet to consist of only organic foods as much as possible. Reread the “Healthy Food” and “Unhealthy Food” sections and try to follow the diet recommendations.
- Stop using all mobile telephones, cordless phones, and all wireless products completely.
- Read the points for a safe home and try to do as many as possible.
- Stop the use of all body care products and cosmetics except for the use of the listed recommended products.
- Buy a water filter. (See the section on water.)
- Avoid all foods that contain solamine. See: “Vegetable Warnings.” This includes: bell peppers (paprika in Swedish), cayenne, chili, eggplants, paprika spice, pimento, potatoes, potato starch and tomatoes etc.
- Avoid all gluten containing foods and everything that contains them. Always read the ingredient list of all foods and liquids.
- Seriously consider removing any amalgam fillings you have, by an experienced dentist that specializes in amalgam removal. Virtually all Western countries have amalgam associations that can provide a list of dentists who are well-trained in amalgam removal.
It is crucially important to only go to a dentist who is well experienced in amalgam removal, because certain equipment like an extra large suction etc. must be used and certain methods must also be employed to ensure that the patient does not breathe in toxic mercury vapors. High dosages of certain nutrients such as selenium etc. must also be taken.
The amalgam association in your country can provide you with the latest up to date information on what supplements to take. Search the net also for the latest information and recommendations regarding amalgam removal.
As I said earlier, I am not a Pastor but I firmly believe that if you do not believe in God and you just honestly ask God that if He truly exists-to prove his existence to you- that God will absolutely do that and once more will prove to you that He really does care about you and loves you.
If you wish, I could pray for you and your illness also.
You can contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS)
Note: The source of information for the following information is: “Multiple Chemical Sensitivities and Immune System Dysregulation” by Dr. Alan S. Levin M.D, and Debra Lynn Dadd.
Multiple chemical sensitivity is a medical condition which involves the intolerance of certain chemicals that are found in everyday life and especially in the home. These common chemicals (see the section: “A Healthy Home and Work Environment”) in someone who is intolerant of them-have been proven to cause the following medical disorders:
- chronic sore throat
- itching eyes
- nasal stuffiness
- postnasal drip
- Gastrointestinal disturbances such as:
- anal bleeding
- gastric irritation
- Musculoskeletal aches and pain including:
- Cerebral and Behavior reactions such as:
- inability to concentrate
- insatiable hunger- leading to continuous eating which can lead to obesity
- lack of motivation and apathy
- learning disabilities
- memory loss
- mental confusion
- migraine headaches
- mood swings
- personality changes
- Various addictions including:
- food addictions to wheat, corn, sugar, coffee and chocolate etc.
- alcohol addiction
- drug addiction
- tobacco addiction
- and even addiction to certain vapors such as glue, hairspray and perfume
- Other proven medical conditions caused by MCS include:
- body odor
- breath odor
- frequent urination
- painful urination (see next section also)
- menstrual cramps
- metallic aftertaste
- ringing in the ears
- sensitivity to light
- visual disturbances
- and dysfunction of the immune system and reduced immunity resulting in various illnesses caused by bacteria, fungi and viruses
Read the previous section “A Healthy Home and Work Environment” and try to avoid as many chemicals as possible in both the home and in the work environment.
Seven Warning Signs of Cancer
The American Cancer Society has identified 7 symptoms which could be a sign of cancer:
- A change in bowel or bladder habits
- A sore that does not heal
- Unusual bleeding or discharge from any place
- A lump in the breast or other parts of the body-this includes men also.
- Chronic indigestion or difficulty in swallowing
- Obvious changes in a wart or mole
- Persistent coughing or hoarseness
If you experience any of these warning signs, you should see your doctor. It does not mean that you do have cancer, but it is a sign you should not ignore.
Below are lists of possible cancer symptoms for various parts of the body. It is important to note that the listed symptoms can also be a sign of a benign disease. It does not necessarily mean that cancer is present.
Other symptoms to report to your doctor:
- A need to urinate frequently, especially at night
- Difficulty starting urination or holding back urine
- Inability to urinate
- Weak or interrupted flow of urine
- Painful or burning urination
- Painful ejaculation
- Blood in urine or semen
- Frequent pain or stiffness in the lower back, hips, or upper thighs
- Blood on the stool or in the toilet water
- Diarrhea alternately with constipation
- Persistent diarrhea or constipation
- Change in the size, shape of the stool
- Abdominal or pelvic pain
- Excessive/unusual gas, bloating
- Weight loss
- Blood in the urine
- Burning with urination
- Bladder spasms/pain
- Intense urge to urinate
Simple Prostate Help
Based upon on over 30 years of medical work with thousands of men suffering from various prostate disorders, Dr. Krisiloff has greatly helped and even cured men with prostrate problems such as swollen prostate glands (BPH-benign prostatic hyperplasia,) all the symptoms of non- bacterial prostatitis, sexual difficulties as well as high PSA scores etc. and helped them to avoid biopsies and surgeries by simply completely omitting certain items from their diet:
- ALL alcohol - even light beer etc.
- ALL caffeine – even milk chocolate
- ALL strong spices such as pepper, curry cayenne, cloves, cinnamon, ginger etc. (garlic and onions are allowed)
Read also the excellent information on prostate disorders in the book: “The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine” written about in the section: “Sources of Information on Healing.”
Quick and Cheap Cold Cure
Just remember CCCGGT. This stands for Carrots, Cayenne, C-vitamin, Garlic, Ginger and Thyme.
Note: Please read the information about cayenne, garlic and ginger in the section: “Herbal Information and Warnings” and about Vitamin C in the section:” Vitamin, Mineral and other Supplement Warnings” before using them.
All these products can be bought cheaply at your neighborhood grocery store, although organic products are always the healthiest and most effective. Vitamin C is always sold as ascorbic acid and is usually found in the spice section where people often buy it to use in jam recipes to keep the color of the fruit in the jam.
Vitamin C rich fruit such as kiwi can be used instead.
In a large glass mix:
- One-half of a glass of carrot juice (or cooked soft carrots) and one-half of a glass of water.
- One-half teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil or butter.
- One-quarter teaspoon of vitamin C powder (ascorbic acid) or a mashed kiwi fruit
- one-half of a teaspoon of cayenne, or of hot chili pepper powder or of hot paprika powder.
- 1 teaspoon of grated fresh ginger or 2 pinches of dried ginger powder.
- One clove of pressed garlic, (wait 10 minutes after pressing or squeezing etc. before adding to the mixture.) (See the “Vegetable” section.) If you are worried about garlic breath, chew and swallow fresh parsley afterwards or chew on some anise seeds.
Drink (or eat!) one glass of this mixture, four times a day. Drink also one cup, four times a day, of tea made from thyme. Pour boiled water (that has been boiled in a stainless steel kettle and not in a plastic kettle, or that has been boiled in a glass or a stainless steel pot, and not in an aluminum pot) in a glass containing two teaspoons of thyme leaves or powder, and let it steep for at least fifteen minutes.
If you wish to take a supplement, then Echinacea is excellent but before taking this herb please read about Echinacea in the “Herbal Information and Warnings “section.
It is also vitally important to:
- Rest in bed.
- Stay warm. If cold, wear socks in bed plus a cotton ski cap and increase the amount of ginger and/cayenne in the above recipe.
- Drink at least ten glasses of liquid ( which includes the 8 glasses from the above information) per day to avoid the buildup and thickening of phlegm and mucus and to make it easier to it cough up.
Note: If suffering from any medical disorder ask your doctor for approval before drinking this amount of liquid per day.
- All sugars including all refined grain products such as white flour and white rice etc.
- All fruit juices and carrot juice unless mixed one-half with water. All sugars lower the immune response.
- All salt and salted foods. Salt causes a thickening of the phlegm and mucus that must stay loose so that you can cough it up.
- If you need a pain killer, cayenne has actually been proven to reduce pain.
Note: Do not take paracetamol, as it is highly toxic to the liver.
Quick Headache and Tired Cure
- Drink three glasses of cool water, even if you are not thirsty. Eighty percent or headaches are caused by dehydration, not stress.When you are dehydrated, you also feel tired.
- Try also to lie down in a dark, cool room with a light cotton sheet on top of you, with the window slightly open for fresh air.
- If hungry, eat some (organic) food containing healthy fat and protein such as a handful of unroasted and unsalted almonds or sunflower seeds etc.( See the section on “ Healthy Fats”) or a sandwich made out of wholegrain bread or crisp bread with cheese or eggs etc.
Note: Women should have their iron level checked regularly, especially if they are feeling mentally and/or physically tired. This is vitally important for all vegan and vegetarian women! (See the section: “Supplement Recommendations.”)
This is an old Chinese cure that can also help for when you feel tired or cold:
- Rub the bottom ear lobe of one ear firmly with your thumb and first finger and slowly rub the ear firmly along the side of the ear to the top of the ear and down again. Rub each ear separately.
Both the herbs Panax Ginseng and Rhodiola Rosea, when standardized (see the section: “Herbal Information and Warnings”) are also excellent for an immediate herbal pick-up.
Note: Before taking any herb, look up the herb in the “Herbal Information and Warnings” section and on the “Pure cap website”-see the beginning of the “Herbal Information and Warnings” section- for warnings, possible side effects and possible medical interactions.
- drink a cup of coffee, black tea, cocoa, a soft drink or an energy drink.
- eat some “sugar” food, chocolate or candy.
- eat some food containing white flour (pastry etc.)
- immediately reach for a pain killer.
The majority of us and our children have been blessed with healthy bodies and minds. Let us try to keep them that way or let us at least try to get back to what we once had or in some cases to achieve the health that we never have had. You owe this not only to yourself, but more importantly to your children and your children`s children yet unborn.
“The hope of humanity lies in the prevention of degenerative and mental diseases, not in the mere care of their symptoms.”
Dr. A. Carrell. Winner of the 1935 Nobel Prize for Medicine
God bless you and keep you,
I can be contacted at: email@example.com
or leave you comment or question on the comment section below!
I look forward to hearing from you.