Overall Information on Food additives
Edited: Thursday, 23 March 2023
NOTE! I no longer recommend "Glide" dental floss, because I have found out that it contains dangerous E950 and 3 other chemical additives. Companies that manufacture dental floss, dental sticks and interdental brushes do not by law have to write down those additives they have added to their products on the packaging as ingredients and never do. I now only recommend TePe Miniflosser and TePe interdental brushes. These products are completely free of additives. Always be sure to ask the companies to write down in a letter (which is a legal document- and not through a phone call or an e-mail) all additives that they have added to a product.Note: I have no connection to this company or to any other company/.
For further info. about food additives see:
If you have a question about a reference for a specific side effect of any food additive-please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Always remember that:
- All food additives, flavourings and processing aids are never tested together, but still are almost always combined in manufactured foods. We have no idea of the effects of that combination. The same is true of the combination of ingredients in cosmetics and pesticides (see question number 2).
There is no "Golden Rule" that: " If it is safe for animals- then it is safe for humans" (see number 8 below).
Don't become depressed and give up. Just try to avoid all food additives and flavours as much as possible. Buy unprocessed organic foods without additives and prepare the food yourself.
1). How many food additives are used in Sweden, the EU, Norway and Switzerland ?
ANSWER: No one knows .
There are 326 food additives with E-numbers and an unknown number without E-numbers that are allowed in Sweden and the European Union (and Norway and Switzerland who follow the food additive rules of the EU), of which at least 94 are banned in some other countries. See below.
Food additives do not need to be listed under their E-number, but can be printed with only their name, so they look like ingredients.
Modified starches do not need to be listed with their E numbers E1404-E1452, and need not even be listed under their names. They can be specified only as "modified starches" so they also look like food ingredients.
A whole group of substances called "processing aids", for example:the oils and fats that are used in bread forms an pans -which of course enter the bread), need not even be listed on the label.
Almost all processing aids leaves residues that remain in the food.
All food additives should be listed under their E-number and all processing aids should be listed with their E-number or their name if they do not have an E-number, so that you can easily see what it is.
2). How many chemical additives are used in the synthetic flavoring substances that are allowed in Sweden and the European Union and in Norway and Switzerland)?
ANSWER: No one knows.
Over 20 000 chemicals are used in the over 6000 synthetic flavouring substances that are allowed in the above countries and none of them have to be written on the packaging. The company only has to write the word aroma or flavoring on the packaging.
There exists no complete list of all synthetic flavouring substances which are allowed to be used in food.
Synthetic flavorings consists not only of a single chemical to add flavor. It is necessary to mix many chemicals to create a synthetic aroma.
Strawberry Flavouring (according to U.S. Patent No. 3686004)
- ethyl phenyl glycidate methol
- ethyl pelargonate
- isoamyl acetate
- ethyl butyrate
- 2-methyl-2-pentenoic acid
- 1-(prop-1-enyl) -3,4.5-trimethoxybenzene
NOTE: There are many different synthetic strawberry flavors available- each with a different set of chemicals. Some synthetic flavouring substances consisting of over 30 different chemicals, but it is sufficient to just write the word aroma or flavouring in the ingredient list. If a flavouring substance is written as natural identical it means only that it is a completely synthetic flavor which consists of synthetic ingredients that are close to the natural ingredients contained in the natural flavouring substance but it is still completely synthetic. Each of these chemicals should be considered a specific food additive.
Some of the proven health effects caused by chemicals in the synthetic flavouring substances are:
- liver and kidney damage
- cancer tumors
- respiratory disorders
- blood in the urine
- stomach ulcers
- changes in the bones
- tremors, etc.
A typical European eats easily over 100 food additives- including the chemicals found in synthetic flavourings and other food additives- every day.
A ball of ice cream with multiple colors and flavors can contain 150 different food additives.
Yet there is no testing done on the possible combined effect of flavouring substances or together with other food additives or processing aids. All food additives including flavourings and processing aids are tested separately.They are never tested together.
Avoid all flavouring substances, unless it is written that they are natural and state exactly what they are.
Food producers will always write if the flavouring substances are natural, for example: vanilla instead of ethyl vanillin, vanillin and vanilla aroma-all which have caused serious side effects in laboratory animals. See the "Dangerous flavouring substances allowed in Sweden, the EU, Norway and Switzerland" in Dangerous Food Additives without E-numbers.
Avoid also any unspecified natural flavouring substances. They are nearly all derived by using dangeous solvents or/and dangerous chemicals such as acetone, dichlorometan, diethyl ether ( which always contains E321), hexane, methylethyl ketone or E1520 and propylene glycol etc.
They can never fully be eliminated and remain left in the natural flavouring substances.
Concentrated juices and dried fruit powders etc. are safe natural flavorings.
The same applies to "natural colors" or E140, E141, E160A, E160B, E160C, E160E, E160F, E161G and E160D, E161B.
Avoid them. They are extracted with the same dangerous chemicals that as used in natural flavorings and which remain in the "natural colors".
Safe colors can be produced by using foods such as blueberry juice or blueberry powder, carrot powder, paprika powder , spinach powder , beet juice, saffron and sepia etc.
3). How many food additives, flavorings and processing aids are there in beer, wine and spirits in Sweden and the European Union, Norway and Switzerland?
ANSWER: No one knows.
According to the law in the above countries, companies need not disclose any food additives that are used in alcoholic beverages except for the food additive E220 (sulphur dioxide) which must be declared.
All organic wines, including biodynamic wines are also allowed to contain the dangerous food additive E220. Organic wines without E220 added are:
- Andre Stentz
- Badger Mountain, United States
- Coturri, United States
- Didgier France
- Frey, United States
- Nevada County, United States
- Organic Wine Works, United States
- Robinvale, Australia
- Pierre Frick, France
- Temple Bruer, Australia etc.
NOTE. The healthy phytonutients that are found in red wine are found in even higher concentrations in blue and red grapes and in dark grape juice, without the dangerous health effects of alcohol.
E220-E228 is also used as a color fixative in non-organic dried fruit, but it is often undeclared, which is illegal.
This is often the case in food stores and in health food stores, which sell dried fruits in bulk or which they have packaged themselves.
All dried fruits that are strongly colored such as orange: dried apricots, mango and papaya, yellow dried pineapple and raisins, and completely white dried apple slices etc. have been treated with E220-E228.
Virtually all dried fruits that are not organic are treated with E220-E228.
Dried fruit that is not treated is always naturally brownish in color, because of the reaction between the oxygen and the natural sugar, but tastes sweeter than treated dried fruit because E220-E228 always gives a bitter taste.
E220-E228 is completely unnecessary to use in food or wine, and can cause instant death in asthmatics who are allergic to sulfur. About 40 people die each year in United States because of E220-E228.
4). How food additives are approved in Sweden and the European Union, Norway and Switzerland or: "Of course I believe you."
When a company wants to get a new food additive approved in the above countries they send all their research, which shows how "safe" the new food additive is to the authorities in Brussels.
You can imagine just how "neutral, independent and honest" all the information is-even if it is done by another company " hired" to do the reseach.
It costs an average of 15 million dollars to create and test a new food additive.
The authorities, then in Brussels decide on the basis of this "completely neutral, independent and honest material" whether to approve it or not.
This method is totally unreliable.
No country or government tests food additives, flavorings, processing aids, pesticides and cosmetic ingredients themselves before allowing thm to be used.
5). Needed changes in food policy
- All food additives, flavourings and processing aids which have an E-number must be written with their E-number or name if they do not have an E-number.
- All bakery products, take-away food, and food vending machines etc and alcoholic beverages must follow the same rules listed above in number 1.
- All food and beverages, including alcoholic beverages, containing any possible combination of food additives, flavourings and processing aids, and also all cosmetic ingredients must be tested before they are allowed to be used.
- All possible combinations of cosmetic ingredients contained in a product must be tested before being allowed to be sold.
- All testing must be performed only by governmental laboritories.
- If any food additive, flavouring, processing aid, pesticide or cosmetic ingredient etc. is forbidden in the EU, it must also be forbidden to manufacture and export them.
- Immediaitely retest all currently permitted food additives, flavorings, processing aids, pesticides and cosmetic ingredients in governmental laboratories at the expense of the companies that produce and use them.
6). Many suffer so that a few can get rich
As far back as 1986 over 5 billion dollars worth of food additives were used in the United States.
The European Union, which has a much larger population used much more of course and every year more food additives are being approved.
As far back as 1986 it was estimated that the average European ate over 5 kg of food additives every year.
Now it is of course much more, since peolpe now eat much more food which contains food additives.
In the year 1900 approximately 50 food additives were used in Europe.
Now, this figure has reached over 20,300.
At least 85% of all food additives used are "cosmetic".
This means that the producers are using these food additives to make food more appealing by changing its smell, taste, color and texture.
Preservatives make up less than 15% of all food additives.
Safe preservation can be accomplished by chilling, freezing, heating, drying, salting, sugaring, seasoning, lactic acid pickling vinegar and by adding Vitamin C etc. It is not hard to replace any food additive, flavouring and processing aid with a harmless, safe and naturally occurring substance and by using safe cooking method,
Food additives are only used in order to increse the food industry's profit margins, not for the health of the consumer.
Many food additives are considered to be dangerous and are completely banned in one country, and yet considered safe and acceptable in another ( See below .)Would you risk your own health and your child's health?
Children are affected much more than adults because:
- their undeveloped immune systems
- their low body weight, making them in relation to their body weight, much more affected by food addtives than adults by the same amount of food additives
- the rapid cell division in children.
- All this taken together makes children more likely to get cancer
NOTE: Food additives, flavorings and processing aids and pesticides have also caused many severe allergic reactions which are listed in my articles and in my book I'm Sorry We can't Do Anything ... What YOU Can Do To Improve Your Health (see the links in the Panel at the top).
Many children and adults have suffered years of heavy medication due to uncontrolled and often violent behavior, which have been caused by their severe reactions to food additives( including flavors and processing aids.) Many children and adults have become healthy as soon as all food additives, flavorings and processing aids have been removed from their diet.(See details of Dr. Feingold on Google).
7). A List of lies (which the food industry wants us to believe)
"Anything in large quantities causes cancer"
"Spokespersons for the food industry often argue that experiments in which only high doses of chemicals cause cancer are not valid, because extremely high amounts of any chemical cause cancer.
In fact, this argument is downright deceitful. Scientists have proven that extremely high amounts of many chemicals do not cause cancer."
/Dr. Michael F. Jacobson
MANAGING DIRECTOR of the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) in Washington DC.
"Anything in large quantities causes cancer"
There is absolutely no basis for the mistaken, but often used claim that all chemicals would be a carcinogen or mutagen at high doses.
It is simply not true."
/Dr. Samuel s. Epstein M.D., Professor of environmental health and Human Ecology
School of Medicine, Department of Pharmacology, Case Western Reserve University. (See also his excellent website www.preventcancer.org).
"Anything in large quantities causes cancer"
"Cancer is not , however, an effect that occurs at a high but not at a low dosage.
If cancer is caused in test animals by large doses of a chemical, we must presume that even small amounts can cause cancer."
In 1979 all governmental authorities that regulate carcinogenic chemicals in the United States agreed on the above key principle. It is also agreed to by the International Agency for Cancer Research that is linked to the World Health Organization under the United Nations.
"We have No evidence that there exists any safe dose of cancer-causing substances. The tissue exposed to carcinogens get a new sensitivity. If the cells are exposed to further influence of any carcinogenic( cancer-causing) substance, even if it is only weakly carcinogenic, the damage can be expanded, so that it reaches a level where a tumor develops.
All this gives rise to a situation where we cannot presume that a low intake of carcinogens would be insignificant."
/Dr. Umberto Saffiotti M.D., Scientific Director of Carcinogenesis, National Cancer Institute, United States
Companies that made chewing gum questioned a study which showed that rats got cancer from Xylitol E967, but only at an intake for a human which would be equivalent to 20 000 pieces per year, i.e. 70 pieces a day. But as we have seen in the above paragraphs, there is a risk that if a food additive causes cancer at high doses it can also cause cancer at low dosage.
High doses are needed because of the low number of tested animals used-usually less than 100-yet a food additive could be consumed by millions odf people. Hundreds of millions of people drink soft drinks containing E951 Aspartame (Nutrasweet), E950 Acesulfame-k, E 954 Saccharin,and E952 Cyclamates that have been proven to cause cancer and other deadly diseases.
Millions are using these sweeteners in the food itself for example:
-E950 in Sunnet and in Sweet One
E951 in Amino Sweet,Canderel,Equal,Neotame,Nutrasweet,Nutrataste and in Spoonful
-E952 and E954 in Suketter
-E954 in Hermesetas Sugertwinn and in Sweet and Low
-E955 in Splenda
The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) acknowledge that xylitol is a carcinogenic substance.
Xylitol is found in virtually all sugar free chewing gums and many sugar-free foods that are sold in Sweden.
Xylitol is also recommended by the Swedish Dental Association.
Virtually all non-health food toothpastes contain the proven cancer-causing chemical E954 sodium saccharin .This chemical is absorbed directly under the tongue (sublingually) and is swallowed every time you brush your teeth - which you do everyday for years.( Please see the chapter on toothpastes in my book.)
Similarly, the proven cancer-causing food additives E249-E252 are found in all cured meats, bacon, sausage (cooked and raw), liver pate, paté, salami, ham, smoked meat, smoked fish and in many hard cheeses but not in green and white mouldy cheeses, mozzarella cheese and certified organic cheeses and not in most certified organic meat products.
Note:The EU organic certifying agency allows all of the food additives -including E249-E252-that are allowed in non-organic food to be used in their certified organic food as well.
Virtually all other organic certifying agencies such as KRAV in Sweden etc. do not allow E249-E252 in their certified organic products.
This is why it is always extremely important to start reading the food ingredient list of all food including certified organic food.
Unfortunately in regards to organic meat products all organic certifying agencies allow their products to be smoked which is also very unhealthy as all the dangerous chemicals that are present in the smoke enter the meat.
If a meat product is smoked it does not have to state that on the label-you must contact the producer to find out .
Nitrites and nitrates, E249-E252, combine with amines which are found naturally in our stomachs and form nitrosamines which are very powerful cancer causing substances.
- NOTE: They are especially dangerous for the unborn child and have been directly linked to brain tumors in children.
PREGNANT WOMEN should not eat products containing E249-E252 during pregnancy.
Please read the important information written by Dr. Samuel Epstein, M.D. on his excellent site www.preventcancer.org
Pregnant women should also not eat cheese made from raw milk because of the danger of listeria.
These food additives are not needed in meat and cheese. In the meat products they are not needed to eliminate botulism because the meat products can be treated with heat and exposed to air. Botulism can only survive in an oxygen-free environment, and is destroyed by heat.
E249 and E250 are used only to provide meat products with a red color. Millions of Orthodox Jews all over the world eat meat products without these additives, and do not suffer from botulism. Many certified organic meat and cheeses products in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, etc. are manufactured without E249-E252.
Norway banned the use of these dangerous food additives in the 1970s, but allowed them again after a few years due to strong pressure from the food industry. E251 and E252 are used in cheeses for germicidal purposes, rather than dealing with the cheeses in a more hygienic way.
Millions of people also use" waxed" dental floss that is always treated with paraffin E905- which is a carcinogen- and which is left between the teeth after each use and of course is eventually swallowed . See Note-information at the top of this page.
8). "What originally began as a proposal ..."
"What initially started as a proposal, but that soon had become a deeply rooted belief, was the idea that by some magical mathematical formula or smoke devices, or another factor was that the values for animals could directly be translated into values for safe levels for humans.
We recommend that this idea must now formally, totally abandoned."
/Dr. l. Goldberg M.D. Institute of Experimental Pathology and Toxicology, The Albany Medical College of Union University
"We can never know if additives are safe or not.Long term use of chemicals can never be considered safe.We have many cases of common illnesses such as mental decline and cancers that we cannot find the cause or effect."
/Dr. Marvin Legator, formerly chefsbiokemist US Food and Drug Administration
"Safe" food additives, flavorings, processing aids, pesticides and cosmetic ingredients can still be dangerous after" testing" because:
1. Cancer can often take more than two years to develop in animals after exposure. In unnatural environments like laboratories 70-90% of laboratory animals would be dead after two years and only a few would be alive for evaluation. Therefore, even when long-term testing is done- 2 years or longer- which is very rare, the results can not be regarded as safe.
2. Usually only one generation of animals used , so any birth defects would not be known.
3. If the tested substance caused a mutation, it would also not be known.
4. The animals used in experiments are carefully selected and bred for many generations, and do not show unlike people a wide range of differences in their health..
5. These animals will always be well cared for,well fed and are raised in a clean environment, unlike the majority of people who do not have nutrious diets and can be overweight,smoke and drink alcohol.
6. The animals used in experiments are never newly born, old, or sick animals although the test substance is used by people who are .
7. Test result depends not only on what kind of animal is used but also on the sex of the animal.
8. Test results also depends on which way an animal is tested- by injection, skin painting, gavage (a tube into the stomach), swallowing or inhalation.
9. Harmlful non physical effects such as those relating to the senses, intelligence or behavior are not tested for in animal experiments.
10. Among people, there is an incredibly wide range of sensitivity depending on the individual that is not present in selectively bred test animals,
11.Thalidomide was tested on five different kinds of animals in multigeneration tests, including primates who have 98% the same DNA as humans. It caused no side effects and was declared safe. Yet, when it was taken by pregnant women, it was found to cause birth defects in thousands of women. Women are believed to be 60 times more sensitive than mice, 100 times more sensitive than rats, 200 times more sensitive than dogs and 700 times more sensitive than guinea pig to thalidomide.
There is no "golden rule" that if it is safe for animals, then it must be safe for people."
9). Choose your poison!
In the year 1989 this was the situation for food additives:
- E104 Quinoline yellow WS-forbidden in Norway, Canada, Japan and the United States
- E110 Sunset yellow FCF-forbidden in Norway and Portugal
- E120 Crimson-forbidden in Norway and Spain
- E122 Azorubine-forbidden in Sweden, Norway, Canada and the United States
- (Dye) Amaranth-forbidden in Finland, Greece, Yugoslavia, Norway, Sweden, United States, USSR and Austria
- E124 Cochineal red-forbidden in the United States and Norway
- E127 Erytosin-forbidden in Japan and Norway
- E131 Patent blue V-forbidden in Israel, Japan, Canada, Norway and United States
- E133 Brilliant blue FCF-forbidden in Belgium, Denmark, France, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Germany and Austria
- E142 Green S -forbidden in Sweden, United States and Norway
- E153 Vegetable carbon-forbidden in United States. Many licorice liquorice, including some that can be found in health food stores.
- E154 Brown FK-forbidden in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Norway, Sweden,Switzerland, Germany and the United States
- Is E155 Brown HT-forbidden Japan, South Africa and United States
- E171 Titanium dioxide-forbidden in Japan, Portugal and Spain
- E180 Lithol rubine BK-forbidden in the United States
- E950 Acesulfame-k (acesulfame-K)-forbidden in Austria,Finland, France, Greece, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal and Spain
- E951 Aspartame (Nutrasweet, and Canderel)-forbidden in Austria, Belgium,France, Greece, Italy and Portugal Netherlands
- E952 Cyclamic acid, cyclamates-forbidden in the United States since 1970
- E954 Saccharin, sackarinater-forbidden in France, Greece and Portugal
All of the above dangerous colouring agents and synthetic sweeteners are now permitted in Sweden and the EU, Norway and Switzerland, but are still forbidden in all the other countries mentioned.
- Australia and New Zealand have banned 72 of the food additives that Sweden, the EU, Switzerland and Norway have allowed.
|E131||Patent Blue V|
|E215||Sodium ethyl p-hydroxybenzoate|
|E219||Sodium methyl p-hydroxybenzoate|
|E227||Calcium hydrogen sulphite|
|E232||Sodium orthophenyl phenol|
|E285||Sodium tetraborate; borax|
|E356||Sodium adipate antioxidant|
Emulsifiers, Stabilisers, Thickeners and Gelling Agents
|E432||Polyoxyethylene sorbitan monolaurate; Polysorbate 20|
|E434||Polyoxyethylene sorbitan monopalmitate; Polysorbate 40|
|E468||Crosslinked sodium carboxy methyl cellulose|
|E472d||Tartaric acid esters of mono-and diglycerides of fatty acids of|
|E479b||Thermally oxidised soya bean oil interacted with mono and diglycerides of fatty acids of|
|E521||Aluminium sodium sulphate|
|E522||Aluminium potassium sulphate|
|E523||Aluminium ammonium sulphate|
|E553a||(i) Magnesium silicate|
|E634||Calcium 5 '-ribonucleotides|
|E912||Montan acid esters|
|E962||Salt of aspartame-acesulfame|
|E1451||Acetylated oxidised starch|
|E1452||Starch aluminium Octenyl succinate|
Sweden, the EU, Switzerland and Norway have banned 53 food additives which are permitted in Australia and in New Zealand.
|103||Alkanet or Alkannin (colour)|
|143||Fast green FCF (colour)|
|161c||Paprika oleoresins (colour)|
|06U||Saffron or Crocetin or Crocin (colour)|
|181||Tannic acid or tannins (color, emulsifier, stabiliser, thickener)|
|201||Sodium sorbate (preservative)|
|216||Propylparaben or Propyl-p-hydroxy-benzoate (preservative)|
|225||Potassium sulphite (preservative)|
|264||Ammonium acetate (acidity regulator)|
|303||Potassium ascorbate (antioxidant)|
|328||Ammonium lactate (acidity regulator)|
|329||Magnesium lactate (acidity regulator)|
|342||Ammonium phosphates (acidity regulator)|
|349||Ammonium malate (acidity regulator)|
|359||Ammonium adipates (acidity regulator)|
|365||Sodium fumarate (acidity regulator)|
|366||Potassium fumarate (acidity regulator)|
|367||Calcium fumarate (acidity regulator)|
|368||Ammonium fumarate (acidity regulator)|
|381||Ferric ammonium citrate (acidity regulator, anti-caking agent)|
|409||Larch Arabinogalactan or gum (thickener and gelling agent, stabiliser)|
|470||Aluminum and ammonium salts of fatty acids (emulsifier)|
|480||Dioctyl sodium sulphosuccinate (emulsifier)|
|510||Ammonium chloride (bulking agent)|
|518||Magnesium sulphate (firming agent)|
|519||Cupric sulphate (salt)|
|542||Bone phosphate (anti-caking agent, emulsifier)|
|553||Magnesium silicate or Talc (anti-caking agent)|
|560||Potassium silicate (anti-caking agent)|
|580||Magnesium gluconate (acidity regulatory, firming agent)|
|636||Maltol (flavour enhancer)|
|637||Ethyl maltol (flavour enhancer)|
|641||L-Leucine (flavour enhancer)|
|905b||Petrolatum or petroleum jelly (glazing agent)|
|1001||Choline salts (emulsifier)|
|1101||Secretes Proteases (papain, bromelain, ficin) (stabiliser, enzyme)|
|1102||Glucose oxidase (antioxidant)|
|1400||Dextrin roasted starch (thickener, stabiliser)|
|1401||Acid treated starch (thickener, stabiliser)|
|1402||Alkaline treated starch (thickener, stabiliser)|
|1403||Bleached starch (thickener, stabiliser)|
|1405||Enzyme treated starches (thickener, stabiliser)|
|1521||Polyethylene glycol 8000 (antifoaming agent)|
United States and Canada have banned at least 23 of the food additives allowed in Sweden, the EU, Switzerland and Norway: E104, E122, E124, (dye), E128, E131, E142, E151, E153, E154, is E155, E952, Calamus (natural flavouring substance), Calamus oil (natural flavouring substance), Calamus extract (natural flavouring substance), Chloroform (flavoured), Cinnamyl anthranilate (flavoured), Courmarin (natural flavouring substance), Safrole (natural flavouring substance), Diethyl Pyrocarbonate, Dulcin, NDGA, Hydrogyaralarthic acid, Thiourea.
To be fair,- Sweden,the EU, Switzerland and Norway have banned at least 7 substances that are permitted in the United States: BST-Bovine Somatotropins used to increase milk production. BVO-Brominated vegetable oil, Citrus Red 2-used for coloring unripe oranges, DES-a synthetic hormone given to meat producing animals, ractopamine and arsenic in chicken, turkey and animal feed, and Potassium Bromate in flour. Note that 80% of non-organic American food is either "GMO" (genetically modified) or contains GM food.
You should not eat food from the United States that is not certified as organic, especially meat.
Note: The same is also true for processing aids, pesticides and cosmetic ingredients which are often banned in one country but allowed in another.
Even organic certifying organisations disagree on what is safe or not.
Additives that IFOAM allows, but not the EU or KRAV:
- E332 Potassium Citrate
- E342 Ammonium Phosphate
- E413 Tragacanth gum
- E508 Potassium Chloride
- E511 Magnesium chloride (KRAV allows as a processing aid)
- E517 Ammonium Sulphate
- E526 Calcium Hydroxide
Additives that IFOAM and the EU allow, but not KRAV:
- E224 Kalumpyrosulfit
- E414 Acacia, Acacia gum
- E516 Calcium sulfate (KRAV allows as a processing aid)
- E524 Sodium hydroxide (KRAV allows as a processing aid)
Additives that the EU allows, but not KRAV and not IFOAM:
- E153 Vegetable carbon
- E160b Annatto, bixin, norbixin
- E250 Sodium Nitrite
- E252 Potassium Nitrate
- E301 Its Sodium Salt
- E325 Natriumlaktat
- E422 Glycerol
- E464 Hydroxypropyl
- E551 Silica (IFOAM allows as a processing aid)
- E553b Talk (KRAV and IFOAM allows as a processing aid)
- E939 Helium
10). About 80% of all cosmetic ingredients are absorbed by the body and even those that remain on the skin can cause serious side effects.
Always read the ingredients on all cosmetics , including organic cosmetics and check up on them before you use the product.
For excellent information on. cosmetics ingredients see www.preventcancer.org and Skindeep at www.ewg.org. Skindeep is an excellent site to find good information on. ingredients in cosmetics and the ingredients found in tablets and capsules, etc. They give ingredients a rating of danger from 0-10. Strangely enough an ingredient can cause cancer according to the information that they show but still get a low rating.
Similarly, a product that contains many of the same ingredients that have been shown to cause cancer can also be given a low rating. I've asked them why, but they have not given me an answer. I believe it may be due to their fear of being sued if they subjectively wrote that a substance or that a product was dangerous. But the objective information they give about an ingredient is excellent.
Do you take vitamins?
By law, vitamin companies just have to list on the label what they themselves have put in the capsule or tablet or liquid.
So if a company buys
- Vitamin A containing E320 or E321
- B-vitamins containing E202, E211, E203, E210, E212
- Vitamin C containing E200
- Vitamin D containing E320, E321
from another company and adds it to a capsule,tablet or liquid they do not have to list these e-numbers on the ingredient list.
Gelatine capsules may contain E200, E320, E321 and hexane. These do not need to be declared on the label.
Note: Read also about E620 in Food Additives with E-numbers.
There are thousands of vitamin companies worldwide selling their own brand of vitamins , but there are fewer than 10 companies in the world that actually manufacture those vitamins.
- Ask the vitamin company, not the store where you bought the product concerned, if there are any additives in the vitamins.
- Ask them if their Vitamin B2, B12, C and E are made from genetically modified sources or not.
- And most importantly ask them to send you the answers in a letter.
A letter is a legal document while a phone conversation or an e-mail are not .
You can also ask your local dairy if there are any additives in the A and D vitamins that they must legally add to milk with low fat.
If you eat vitamin fortified foods or baby foods that are fortified, ask also about possible additives.
11). Introduction to the Food Additive Lists
1. in Sweden and the EU, Switzerland, Norway, restrict some food additives to be used in only certain foods. For example, E952 — cyclamic acid and cyclamates- which are proven cancer-causing food additives that are forbidden in the United States- may be used as sweeteners, but not as constituents of cooked foods. This creates a false sense of security because:
a) Many people eat and drink a lot of the foods in which it is allowed.
b) A food additive that causes cancer in large amounts will also cause cancer in small amounts. This is especially true if you take into account all the other cancer-causing food additives that are allowed in our food.
c) So long as a food additive is not entirely forbidden , but may only be used to a limited extent, there is always the possibility of it being allowed to be used in more and more food.
(d) It is not logical to say that a food additive is not dangerous, and then to restrict the use of it.
2. This list should not be interpreted to mean that the additives in the list that do not have any negative side effects listed are safe. It just means that I have not found any negative reports.
3. Be aware that the list of approved food additives, flavourings, processing aids, cosmetic ingredients and pesticides is constantly increasing.
4. When people tell you that if certain food additives, flavourings, processing aids, cosmetic ingredients and pesticides were truly dangerous then they would be forbidden- remember "the tobacco rule".
Tobacco has proved beyond all doubt to cause cancer, heart disease and emphysema, etc., but it is is allowed.
5. Remember that it is permissible to write food additives either with their E-number or by their name, and that it is allowed to write only "modified starch" instead of E1404-E1452. Processing AIDS do not even need to be declared on the label as ingredients.
6. This list is as restrictive as possible, to be as safe as possible.
7.Start Reading All Food Ingredient Lists.
8.Do not get depressed and just give up-that is exactly what the food industry wants you to do!
Just try to buy as much unprocessed organic food without any food additives and flavors as possible and prepare the food yourself.
Not:For further information about food additives see: